Ernesto Valverde - V1

Faceless

No more faces at night
Valverde is pragmatic, I've said it before. You like it or not, there is definite change in players mentality and defensive awareness. I noticed Valverde instructed Sergi Roberto not to go deep inside Chelsea inside area as he was leaving open space for Hazard and Willian.

That I can give the madman props for. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy about the result. But I think we can't ignore the midfield woes. Defensively though I'm really impressed.

Neymessi

He started the best possible lineup and imo the result is incredibly misleading and we weren't 3-0 kind good but all the credit to him for starting an attacking lineup.

I am pretty sure chelsea created so many chances because we haven't played too much 4-3-3 this season specially with this lineup. What EV needs to do is have to plans A & B where A is a 4-3-3 with dembele and B is a 4-4-2 without him. Plan A needs to be reinforced by making it more tighter.

This is what misleading results can be. A 3-0 match but chelsea were very very good in attack. Now on paper we have conceeded 2 goals in all of CL but we should have conceeded much more than 2 in these 2 legs itself. Ev has had a lot of misleading results going his way all this while. This incident of chelsea playing so good against us isn't his faut though its just the lack of practice in this formation. He really needs to strengthen this 4-3-3 defensively. Start all matches in 4-3-3 from now on. And yes, please don't overplay iniesta ffs.

Last edited:

Stoichkov1

He started the best possible lineup and imo the result is incredibly misleading and we weren't 3-0 kind good.

I am pretty sure chelsea created so mahy chances because we haven't played too much 4-3-3 this season specially with this lineup. What EV needs to do is have to plans A & B where A is a 4-3-3 with dembele and B is a 4-4-2 without him. Plan A needs to be reinforced by making it more tighter.

This is what misleading results can be. A 3-0 match but chelsea were very very good in attack. Now on paper we have conceeded 2 goals in all of CL but we should have conceeded much more than 2 in these 2 legs itself. Ev has had a lot of misleading results going his way all this while. He really needs to strengthen this 4-3-3 defensively. Start all matches in 4-3-3 from now on. And yes, please don't overplay iniesta ffs.

we can't defend with 4-3-3

kattanib

Copying a relevant post I made .. I'm loving these two new additions I'm not used to: a good tactical manager and a realiable goalkeeper

We've played on the counter. There are things that stats don't capture when you play a counter strike tactics such as even if you don't hold possession and your opponent is more likely to shoot, the quality and danger of these attacks is incomparable ... The one playing on the counter will have more dangerous attacks on average.

Just like the claim of Barca not being able to win without Messi (which was debunked not so long ago you gold fishes), it's simply a game of tactics. Messi scored in the 2nd minute and EV decided to pull back and let Chelsea attack a bit so that we can expose their defense on the counter. There is no fixed solution, rather an underrated manager who has the flexibility to adjust as per what the situation requires .. which was Enrique's weakest attribute imo

He started the best possible lineup and imo the result is incredibly misleading and we weren't 3-0 kind good but all the credit to him for starting an attacking lineup.

I am pretty sure chelsea created so many chances because we haven't played too much 4-3-3 this season specially with this lineup. What EV needs to do is have to plans A & B where A is a 4-3-3 with dembele and B is a 4-4-2 without him. Plan A needs to be reinforced by making it more tighter.

This is what misleading results can be. A 3-0 match but chelsea were very very good in attack. Now on paper we have conceeded 2 goals in all of CL but we should have conceeded much more than 2 in these 2 legs itself. Ev has had a lot of misleading results going his way all this while. This incident of chelsea playing so good against us isn't his faut though its just the lack of practice in this formation. He really needs to strengthen this 4-3-3 defensively. Start all matches in 4-3-3 from now on. And yes, please don't overplay iniesta ffs.

I'm pretty sure that at one point in the game while defending EV switched the formation to 4-4-2 with Dembele being a RM and Iniesta being a LM

serghei

appears to be second name for so many barca fans nowadays. Cannot enjoy 3-0 beating of archrival in CL knockouts, but instead comes to forum to whine and worry about how top teams will beat us. Same story ive heard entire season, hasnt happened yet lol.

Because a Barca fan is supposed to see beyond the result and understand that a lot of times we put ourselves at the mercy of Chelsea's players. Top defending this was not. And if you're gonna be defensive and play Messi on the counter, you can't have a good but far from elite side like Chelsea dominating you at home and creating more chances along the way. The moment this happens it becomes a counter-productive tactic.

This is one of those games where, despite the result, you need to see bad stuff which was there in abundance and correct it fast. Next opponent might actually score a couple on Camp Nou if we perform like that.

Last edited:

Neymessi

appears to be second name for so many barca fans nowadays. Cannot enjoy 3-0 beating of archrival in CL knockouts, but instead comes to forum to whine and worry about how top teams will beat us. Same story ive heard entire season, hasnt happened yet lol.

You really are the most myopic person here aren't you. You are incredibly blinded by the final result just like how you considered lucho great because of his total trophy count and you even judge matches like that too.

It was a very misleading 3-0 scoreline. I am going to be 'happy' that I won but I am not goint to be 'confident' when I face the better teams in our current form based on todays match unlike you who thinks we are amazing just because we won 3-0.

Joan

I don't understand one thing. We've been playing for some time with Iniesta - Busquets - Rakitić midfield. They are slow, can't run enough and besides, Rakitić doesn't perform well out wide. WHY, ffs, you expect it'll be different this time? Where was that midfield this match? Nowhere to be seen.

Suarez is not a LW, Iniesta has to cover, just as Alba... dead left side, dead midfield... our good defensive record comes from the compact midfield, some strength and great CB pairing, which we never lacked.

Needs to be accepted: our midfield is not good enough for 433 and heavy possession football.

gr98

Because a Barca fan is supposed to see beyond the result and understand that a lot of times we put ourselves at the mercy of Chelsea's players. Top defending this was not. And if you're gonna be defensive and play Messi on the counter, you can't have a good but far from elite side like Chelsea dominating you at home and creating more chances along the way. The moment this happens it becomes a counter-productive tactic.

This is one of those games where, despite the result, you need to see bad stuff which was there in abundance and correct it fast. Next opponent might actually score a couple on Camp Nou if we perform like that.

The next opponent may not play like Chelsea did.

LeeRomeno

Are you one of those people who cannot enjoy a happy moment because you are afraid of the second the happiness will disappear? Jesus christ.

You really are the most myopic person here aren't you. You are incredibly blinded by the final result just like how you considered lucho great because of his total trophy count and you even judge matches like that too.

It was a very misleading 3-0 scoreline. I am going to be 'happy' that I won but I am not goint to be 'confident' when I face the better teams in our current form based on todays match unlike you who thinks we are amazing just because we won 3-0.

Winning 8 trophies sure was great. Also witnessing the most fun football ive ever seen Barcelona play was great. Final result is what matters MOST. Care to ask Spurs supporters how they felt after losing out to Juve?
I simply do not grasp the desire for some perfection among some of you here. 3-0 is not enough, lets shit our pants again, because oh my god, maybe next team will actually score a goal against us. We have conceded 2! goals entire season in CL. Everyone is so jealous of RM winning CL twice, they won it with beating teams just like we beat Chelsea today. Some luck here and there, goals against run of play and so on.
Will not bother with losers with you, go cry and worry, will have another beer and enjoy this evening.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

You are worse yet because you whine about the whiners. Good for you now that you took a dump.

serghei

Are you one of those people who cannot enjoy a happy moment because you are afraid of the second the happiness will disappear? Jesus christ.

Is that an advert pro smoking? No, you don't enjoy wins in matches in which you played badly that much.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
Dunno where else to put this, but we've had several years of facing BY FAR the hardest KO opponents of any team.

Our last 13 KO stage opponents have been: Chelsea, Juventus, PSG, Atletico, Arsenal, Juventus, Bayern, PSG, City, Atletico, City, Bayern, PSG.

This goes all the way back to 12/13, it's been years since we've caught a break. Praying we draw Roma/Sevilla next.

Dunno where else to put this, but we've had several years of facing BY FAR the hardest KO opponents of any team.

Our last 13 KO stage opponents have been: Chelsea, Juventus, PSG, Atletico, Arsenal, Juventus, Bayern, PSG, City, Atletico, City, Bayern, PSG.

This goes all the way back to 12/13, it's been years since we've caught a break. Praying we draw Roma/Sevilla next.

You have to beat the best to be the best.

Give me Madrid. No excuses. Take Roma/Sevilla away from them.

Besides, it's not like Arsenal and Milan were difficult draws. Nor was Chelsea. As much as people like to wank every team that we do poorly against to try to sweep our own performance under the rug.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans