Ernesto Valverde - V1

Neymessi

It might not be beautiful football but it is WINNING football.

GOATverde

Good chance he is just playing lucky football. For what you said to be true EV would have to intentionally not create a single chance all game because he knew chelsea would make an error at the back at the end.

Joan

Good chance he is just playing lucky football.

:facepalm::lol:

How many more games do we have to play and not lose for you to recognize the strength of the team and their ability not to lose the match?

Also, you talk as if we'd parked the bus, not Chelsea. We tried to attack but couldn't create a single chance, not that rare vs. parked buses.
Pressed them well and got a goal. If we'd gone full strength forward, pretty sure we would've lost the match.

Gaudi

They only needed to create one to draw the game, and they did. We just escaped that barely with an offside call that we had no control over.

So, one chance (and it was offside) in entire match?? So what is control for you? Opposition not touching the ball for 90 minutes?

serghei

So, one chance (and it was offside) in entire match?? So what is control for you? Opposition not touching the ball for 90 minutes?

The idea is that it was 1-0, not 2-0. So we didn't have any room for error, and we still made a big one and only a lucky offside call in our favour saved us from ending 1-1.

Point is that defending a 1-0 lead by playing defensive and not planning to attack at all is not the right way to go at it because it is just too risky. You need to play on the break and cause the attacking team trouble if you plan to sit back, which we didn't do in the 2nd half.

This win doesn't give me confidence at all going into the Chelsea match. I have no problems with Valverde playing a conservative game with low risk away from home, but at home I expect us to dominate at the teams that are inferior to us.

Last edited:

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Good chance he is just playing lucky football. For what you said to be true EV would have to intentionally not create a single chance all game because he knew chelsea would make an error at the back at the end.

We scored 100 goals so far this season, only 6 of them were own goals, we also hit the woodwork like 30 times and got robbed by refs a couple a times in games where we lost points, but still he is just lucky...

No one should every say Gomes is a better option on the wing than dembele that as never & will never be the case, ever.

But he was better option defensivly, it was chaos on the field once Iniesta left, we lost control and if EV has thrown Dembele into that chaos and asked him to help out Roberto to defend against Filipe Luis, Griezmann and Costa, it might not have ended well.

serghei

But he was better option defensivly, it was chaos on the field once Iniesta left, we lost control and if EV has thrown Dembele into that chaos and asked him to help out Roberto to defend against Filipe Luis, Griezmann and Costa, it might not have ended well.

Maybe if Dembele would play more, he would improve defensively as well.

Gaudi

The idea is that it was 1-0, not 2-0. So we didn't have any room for error, and we still made a big one and only a lucky offside call in our favour saved us from ending 1-1.

Point is that defending a 1-0 lead by playing defensive and not planning to attack at all is not the right way to go at it because it is just too risky. You need to play on the break and cause the attacking team trouble if you plan to sit back, which we didn't do in the 2nd half.

This win doesn't give me confidence at all going into the Chelsea match. I have no problems with Valverde playing a conservative game with low risk away from home, but at home I expect us to dominate at the teams that are inferior to us.

Every match is different, yes I would like us to kill the game, but maybe we were tired from trip and thursdays game...but we can't be overly critical, we didn't kill the game in attack but sure did in defence. We are all fans of Barca and our heart jumps every time opposition is even close to our goal, but honestly, if someone neutral watched the game he/she would conclude we beat AM easily!

serghei

Every match is different, yes I would like us to kill the game, but maybe we were tired from trip and thursdays game...but we can't be overly critical, we didn't kill the game in attack but sure did in defence. We are all fans of Barca and our heart jumps every time opposition is even close to our goal, but honestly, if someone neutral watched the game he/she would conclude we beat AM easily!

This is why I'm curious how we'll aproach the Chelsea game. I think it's dangerous to play like we did with Atletico. Need to score 2 and then we can play more defensive because even if we concede we're still through. But not before that.

FCBfan22

Well, TBH, I don't have a problem with playing cautiosly against AM at home and Chelsea away. And we got great results in both of those.

But I have a problem with playing cautiosly against Las Palmas, who are in relegation zone, after we have just anhilated Girona, who are in the top half, 6-1. I give Valverde a lot of credit that he let the team play in the Girona game, but he should've done the same against Las Palmas and I think we would've won that game.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Well, TBH, I don't have a problem with playing cautiosly against AM at home and Chelsea away. And we got great results in both of those.

But I have a problem with playing cautiosly against Las Palmas, who are in relegation zone, after we have just anhilated Girona, who are in the top half, 6-1. I give Valverde a lot of credit that he let the team play in the Girona game, but he should've done the same against Las Palmas and I think we would've won that game.

EV made a mistake with Las Palmas by not playing Dembele and Coutinho, yes, but we weren't that cautious. Messi could have scored a hatrick if he wasn't fouled every time he made a dangerous run. How many yellows Las Palmas got? 5-7? And all were by different players and all were for fouling Messi, smart feckers.

pepi

Just for the record, Valverde has more firepower than Lucho and he would've annihilated them. Las Palmas i mean.

JamDav1982

I found an article that shows how much Barca rely on one/two players compared to other top teams: https://barcanumbers.wordpress.com/2018/03/03/on-barcas-attack-and-messi/
[MENTION=6099]JamDav1982[/MENTION]

Good stuff but never claimed otherwise.

Messi and Suarez contribute about half the goals/assists in team. Been through it already.

Barca would be better if Messi/Suarez scored and assisted less I suppose.... Or if only one of them producing those figures.

Last edited:

Stoichkov1

Good stuff but never claimed otherwise.

Messi and Suarez contribute about half the goals/assists in team. Been through it already.

Barca would be better if Messi/Suarez scored and assisted less I suppose.... Or if only one of them producing those figures.

Nope Barca would be better if the team scored the same number of goals and Messi/Suarez scored/assisted less.

Home of Barca Fans