Ernesto Valverde - V1

BBZ8800

The defensive solidity mostly comes from Busquets and Rakitic. We wouldn't lose much on that front taking off Paulinho/Gomes, who don't add anything anyway, for Dembele.

Paulinho was doing more defensively for Chelsea than he was for us :lol:

Defensive strength comes from way more players than defense+Busquets+Rakitic.
The same as how our attack is NOT the same when you play Messi&Suarez and Iniesta-Coutinho-Dembele behind them and when you play Rakitic-Gomes-Paulinho behind them.

So, our defense, stability and balance is way more than Busi and Raki.

BBZ do you wrap yourself in bubblewrap before going out? Yes we could be too attacking before, but BBZ would go all the way to have us play Mourinho lite to be safe. I for one became a Barca fan because of the football we play not the results. Being overly defensive is just inviting trouble and if the other team scores then you are out of ideas how to unlock the opposition defense because you are too used to slow aimless possession with no penetration and fast transitions.

Well, this is just my impression after watching all Barca's CL's seasons since 1994's final when we lost the first time in such a naive and classic Barca's way.

After that, in my years of following Barca, we managed to win CL in:
2009 and 2011, which I can't take seriously since we played with aliens in our team and we had tactics whom opponents haven't figured out yet.
So, that era was one of a kind and I can't take it into a consideration since we'll never have players even of the similar quality, and that tactic will never work again in that manner.

Other than that, in all other years when we played Barca's all out attack naive way, we never won a CL.

Our only 2 other CL wins came in 2006, when Rijkaard played in a CL (not in La Liga that much) quite similar to a current Valverde.

Look at our 433 in a first KO matche against Chelsea in 2006.
** We lost in 2005 against them, and in 2005 we played too naive and too attacking with Deco, Xavi, Gerard Lopez, Iniesta and similar.
In 2006, this was our lineup in an away match (first match):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4731518.stm

Barcelona: Valdes,
Oleguer, Marquez, Puyol, Van Bronckhorst (Sylvinho 69),
Edmilson, Motta (Larsson 65), Deco (Iniesta 84)
Eto'o, Ronaldinho, Messi
Subs Not Used: Jorquera, Belletti, Ezquerro, Van Bommel.

Edmilson, Motta, Deco midfield.
This is almost a double pivot CDM duo plus Deco.
And Deco was more defensive than Iniesta, for example.

Imagine if today EV would play 433 with some crazy CDM midfield duo.
Also, we had 2 workhorses in midfield then.
186cm tall Edmilson and 187cm tall Motta.
Oh, and our RB was Oleguer.
A current analogy would have been: something like Mathieu at a LB.
So, we had 3 CBs in a 4 men defense, and only 1 fullback (Bronckhorst), plus 2 workhorses as a double pivot in midfield infront of them.
Again, imagine today Mathieu or Vermaelen as a fullback, Pique and Umtiti as Cbs and only 1 fullback.
And 2 workhorses as a double pivot.
Younger guys on this forum would suffer a stroke right away.

We won 2:1 on Stamford Bridge and in an 2nd match at Camp Nou, we played equally as defensive again and played 1:1:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4778194.stm

In semis against Milan, who were a finalists in 2005, this is how we played in the first away match:
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ac-milan_fc-barcelona/index/spielbericht/53455

Again 3 Cbs and 2 workhorses in midfield. This time 186cm tall Edmilson and 187cm tall VanBommel.
Plus Iniesta since Deco was injured or suspended.

We played very cautious.
And scored a goal for 0:1 in the 57th minute.
And do you know what happened?
Rijkaard subbed off RW Guily (a scorer) for a RB Belletti after a goal, lol.

Imagine if EV did something like that.
So, we suddenly played with:
LB VanBronckhorst
CB Puyol
CB Marquez
CB Oleguer
RB Belletti
DCM Edmilson
DCM Van Bommel
CM Iniesta
Lw Ronaldinho
Cd Etoo

So, after a 0:1 lead, we turned into a 5 men defense and 2 Cdms informt of them.
Lol, isn't it?

But do you know what is funny?
The funny thing is that this cautious approach in a CL (we didn't play that way in La liga) brought us a first CL title since 1992.
And only our 2nd CL in 107 years of our club.

Our title in 2015 with Lucho and MSN is more like "Barca".
But the funny thing is, even then, in that season, we played an awesome defense under Lucho, Raki was babysitting for Alves (almost a double pivot CDMs again) and we played on counters.

So, I would dare to say, except in 2009 and 2011 when we were out of this world due to out of this world prime generation, in all other years of our history, our too attacking and too naive approach in a CL was an ultimate disaster.
Our only CL wins came with Rijkaard, as explained above, who played quite cautious as current EV.
And under Lucho when we had a very good defense, a double pivot and played on counters.

DonAndres told me on a chat on Saturday that I am pulling stats from my ass, lol.
I mean, can anyone pull one stat which shows how we are actually successful (a winning team in a CL) when we play too attacking (as we usually do)?
Also, since we all agree that we will never have players as good as in Busi-Xavi-Iniesta era, imo, everything implies that we will just lose in the same way as always if we'll play in Barca's too naive-too attacking way in a CL Knockout matches, especially in an away games.

Again, I don't have anything against attacking football and against 433.
But if someone can point seasons where it actually worked, I will be in your #team433 and #teamattack.

If anyone will reply with shitpost replies like:
1. we lost because Tito was ill
2. we lost because Tata was bad
3. we lost because Lucho was bad
4. we lost because we had a bad midfield

Well, a flashnews: we will never have too good midfield ever again.
And we'll never have Pep in his prime while his style worked perfectly.

I gave up from 433 and our attacking style in a CL matches, more or less.
While others like you probably think that 433 and attacking is fine: we just need a better midfielders and we will win a CL.

But then, if we'll play 433 in this season: we'll play Busi-Raki-Iniesta, lol.
How on Earth will that midfield win in an away CL matches?
So, people will say: midfield sucked.
Well, then DON'T play a 433, lol.

In the next season, we'll have a too attackingminded Coutinho and 2 turtles Raki and Busi.
How will that work again?

Unless you find new Xavi-Iniesta-Busi AND MESSI in his prime, I am very cautious how our too attacking approach will work in a CL matches.

This is why I have gave up from 433 and all out attack in a CL matches.
I had enough of that shit and defeats every season in an exactly the same fashion over and over.

One more time, I don't have anything against 433 with new players Coutinho and Dembele, in La Liga.
Since it can work in La Liga against midtable teams.

History is showing year after year how usually teams with good defenses (and a decent attack) are usually winning CLs.
That doesn't mean that you play with 10 defenders, since you'll never score.
But a defense is very important factor in a CL KO matches.
While Barca's philosophy is usually something like (my estimation): 80% attack, 20% defense.

Again, that worked only during Pep.
But as said 100s of times before, we had a perfect coach, a perfect once in a lifetime players, a perfect once in a lifetime tactic.
In this moment, we don't have none of those 3, so again, I have no idea how people are expecting that our classical tactic will suddenly work.

Last edited:

Mido

In my humble opinion it might be crucial to reintegrate Dembélé in the "Gala 4-4-2" for the CL. Paulinho might bring defensive stability but he is simply not good enough on the ball vs European level teams.

I really hope Dembélé scraps at least 110 minutes in the two upcoming games vs Las Palmas and Atletico.

Of course the most ideal scenario would be Paulinho proving me wrong and Dembélé back at an elite level. Clearly this 4-4-2 has genuine potential but it needs to be played out thoroughly

Very insightful videos (broken into 3 parts) by PitorFoot on Valverde's system/tactics throughout this season.

Very insightful indeed, proves to me that Barca is on the right track but there is still some work to be done. Just a pity we didn't have more insight on Iniesta's role.

M

MessiCam

In my humble opinion it might be crucial to reintegrate Dembélé in the "Gala 4-4-2" for the CL. Paulinho might bring defensive stability but he is simply not good enough on the ball vs European level teams.

I really hope Dembélé scraps at least 110 minutes in the two upcoming games vs Las Palmas and Atletico.

Of course the most ideal scenario would be Paulinho proving me wrong and Dembélé back at an elite level. Clearly this 4-4-2 has genuine potential but it needs to be played out thoroughly
Barça won’t play this 4-4-2 any longer. Well maybe in the Champions League due to Coutinho’s absence. From here on out I think it’s going to be 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1. And with the players we have it can be changed by just moving Iniesta or Coutinho further forward or back to midfield depending on the match situation.

I’d really like to see how the team would perform with the same setup as against Girona but with Iniesta in the team instead of Coutinho.

Mido

Barça won’t play this 4-4-2 any longer. Well maybe in the Champions League due to Coutinho’s absence. From here on out I think it’s going to be 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1. And with the players we have it can be changed by just moving Iniesta or Coutinho further forward or back to midfield depending on the match situation.

I’d really like to see how the team would perform with the same setup as against Girona but with Iniesta in the team instead of Coutinho.

As much as I'd liked Valverde to set up 4-3-3 line-ups more often against mid-table and smaller teams, I feel it would be a big risk to play 4-3-3 again in tough games this season

M

MessiCam

As much as I'd liked Valverde to set up 4-3-3 line-ups more often against mid-table and smaller teams, I feel it would be a big risk to play 4-3-3 again in tough games this season

It depends on how Coutinho and Dembélé integrate. If they put in the performances Valverde will find it very hard to justify playing Paulinho/Gomes in the midfield and wide.

Even in the Champions League I feel. Depending on us advancing I think the only negative teams remaining would be between Man Utd, Juventus or Tottenham (they've shown they'll defend deep away like against Madrid). All the other teams prefer an attacking brand and the space that affords a player like Dembélé would take an immense weight off Messi's shoulders. Against Chelsea, the minute Vidal occupied the wing, Messi was afforded more space because Pedro couldn't just leave Roberto to be marked by Alonso.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Starting to lean towards the camp that feels Valverde's lack of rotations will hurt us in Champions League campaign.

Fatigue was always one of the factors with other like luck, injuries, form, etc.. But this one is most manageable and I don't think Valverde is doing it properly.

What if we didn't have points cushion? Would he play Iniesta in every single match?

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Starting to lean towards the camp that feels Valverde's lack of rotations will hurt us in Champions League campaign.

Fatigue was always one of the factors with other like luck, injuries, form, etc.. But this one is most manageable and I don't think Valverde is doing it properly.

What if we didn't have points cushion? Would he play Iniesta in every single match?

In his defense, he didn't play Iniesta but played Coutinho instead in the last match

MagIX

In his defense, i can say we are leading la liga with a confortable advantage, we are in cdr final and we are in a good position to be in 1/4 CL...
not so bad for his first season at barca without reinforcements (dembele injured, Couthino in January).
I do not say he is perfect, but he has some merit, no doubt.

henias

His decisions can sometimes be utterly mind boggling. I thought the last lineup was actually logical and unlike his usual mind clog, but still insisted on starting Pique and even delayed subbing him out depsite him wincing in pain. Now he is included in the squad again ahead of the Atletico match. I dont know... this guy is just full of surprises. He just cannot live one day without letting one or two key players rest despite their plaguing injuries. Now Mina is practically useless, not sure which player he will snub next after the arrival of Griezmann. Still very timid and just doesnt trust his squad depite their undisputed talent. :facepalm:

vlad

Valverde should really give a try with 4-4-2 in CL and keep it conservative if needed, because barca with 4-3-3 didnt have much success in CL last years, even under pep barca struggled brake teams who are okay without the ball, pep's away score wasnt good

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Think the lucky draw in London and then big win against not very tactical Girona may have swept problems under the carpet.

M

MessiCam

Think the lucky draw in London and then big win against not very tactical Girona may have swept problems under the carpet.

Not for me. I’m still very sceptical... His 4-3-3 needs to be tested against a big team.

On the one hand he says Dembélé is improving and training well but must earn his spot in competition, which is fair enough and the least that should be expected but yet he persists with Paulinho and Gomes.

Paulinho I can understand because he offers something very different but Gomes puts in shitshow after shitshow but he’s still there.

I can’t help but feel he has favourites... Mina should have been given a run in this game after his first performance but yet a suffering Piqué is in the squad instead.

He is also not helping the B-team players much other than publicly stating he includes them in training. As if their games will develop sufficiently in training... They need to make mistakes or better yet allowed to make mistakes in competition so they can improve. Had Iniesta and Xavi come up through him they’d never see any minutes... I exclude Messi here because he was and still isn’t normal.

serghei

I see people still think Atletico is nothing to worry about. They just scored 5 away to Sevilla and are just 4 points behind us as it stands. If we don't beat them on Sunday, La Liga is very much open. And if we lose the derby it's going to come down to the wire, with Atletico having h2h advantage and us having to play Madrid at home at the end of the season.

Home of Barca Fans