Ernesto Valverde - V1

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Props to him but the fact he won still doesn't mean we can ignore his weird decisions- not taking off Gomes for Iniesta, no changes at half time etc. He's too set in his ways and that could be a problem in crucial CL/cup ties.

Iniesta wasn't ready to play and Gomes worked hard in defense all game.

Cule4life

The Culest
Iniesta wasn't ready to play and Gomes worked hard in defense all game.

If Iniesta wasn't fit why put him on the bench? And this is not the first time he has taken too long to make changes. And we don't need more uncreative "defending" donkeys like Gomes. We already have Rakitic for that. Btw he didn't even defend properly.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
If Iniesta wasn't fit why put him on the bench? And this is not the first time he has taken too long to make changes. And we don't need more uncreative "defending" donkeys like Gomes. We already have Rakitic for that. Btw he didn't even defend properly.

That's why we bought Coutinho.

Leong157

I’m not a fan of him too but I think his subs decision tonight is right. Dembele for Paulinhois is obvious, Pau was not useful bar the goal. Gomes for Digne was for better defensively as we were leading.

I think not using Iniesta was a right choice. With us leading La Liga by some points, we can afford to lose. However, the rain was very heavy and this increase chance of injury by a lot. Iniesta is 33 already. We CANNOT afford to lose him with Chealsea mataches coming.

Raketa10

I was angry at him for not playing Iniesta but apparently he was not 100% ready so it was a right decision in the end. This guy knows how to do his job! AMEN!

xXKonan

I think the strategy from the start was to soak up the pressure in the first half and go for it in the second half like we did today.

We didn't look to bad at the start but for most of the first half we were getting killed everywhere and they were exploiting the space Alba was leaving at times as well when he went forward. Obviously we conceded 2 goals+ that one that was disallowed but we got a goal back near HT.

Second half our mentality was much better and the rest is history.

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona
Second half Sociedad played with half of intensity of what they showed first half.

Point being you can't keep up such intensity for 90 mins. Legs give out eventually. La real went all in but couldn't put in the killing touch

xXKonan

Using the last couple of seasons at this fixture as an example, the main strategy under Moyes/Eusebio seems to be. Go all out in the first half and hope to score a goal or two and sit back and make it difficult for us to score again. and to be fair that strategy worked.

This fixture is annoying for so many reasons, it reminds me of Celta at Balaídos. We are confident enough to pump 3+Goals pass them at the Camp Nou, but over there we always seem to never have the right state of mind/tactics and we struggle to play against them and lose.

Today Eusebio, had a plan and that was to press us high and hard off the get go to make us as uncomfortable and it was actually working as they scored two goals+that disallowed one. I think they were hoping to get to half time without conceding and after that would sit back.

But Paulinho scored, and that played a part in them losing that edge they had the whole half. Second half started Valverde, made the right adjustments/talk behind the scenes and despite that early chance that Stegen saved it went downhill after that. Suarez scored that incredible goal to get the equalizer and La Real were getting tired and we were forcing mistakes out of them.

Valverde has had quite a bit of success at this fixture under Bilbao so he probably knew this was going to happen.

Bringing Digne in to play him as LB, and then moving Jordi Alba to the midfield to close down on possible long balls from Real Sociedad's right midfield tells me that Valverde actually knows a little about tactics. I think he can actually read a game.

LeeRomeno

Bringing Digne in to play him as LB, and then moving Jordi Alba to the midfield to close down on possible long balls from Real Sociedad's right midfield tells me that Valverde actually knows a little about tactics. I think he can actually read a game.

So before that move you were not sure?

George_Costanza

So before that move you were not sure?

He is still questionable. His decision to play the weakest player in the squad against the strong right side of Real Sociedad is nothing but a bad decision.

"“I thought that it would be better to go with Andre Gomes, because La Real have a powerful right side."

Gomes was actually so weak that we saw Busquets shifting to Gomes side to aid him which created unbalanced midfield.

jairzinho

Gomes's physique doesn't necessarily translate into power / strength.

Yes its true he's a big lad with alot of height but he doesn't use his physical attributes very much.

Maybe what Valverde sees is on the training ground because he just doesn't do that in matches.

He doesn't put himself about and use his body like Paulinho or Umtiti for example.

No edge, no aggressiveness, nothing of the sort.

Maybe if he were a bit of an asshole or bustling type player then maybe you say yes, he can come in and put in a tackle or two and be really aggressive and workmanlike.

But you don't really get that from him at all, so you have to ask what's his real role then ?

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans