Ernesto Valverde - V1

Horatio

You're welcome
That's because u think everything will be a comfortable win, not a personal attack but just stating ur one dimensional type thinking. I nvr said they will cause us serious problem, I only said they have caused us problem in previous occasions so they should nvr be underestimated, that's all. While I'm definitely much confident with Barca getting through this time round, I still wouldn't treat it as an easy game.

You are the one getting all defensive and uptight.

Funny, I thought I was the mindreader.

But to address your post seriously: No. I don't think everything will be a comfortable win. I just don't think that the worth of all that the team has shown and performed so far hinges on the win or loss of one game. Losses happen, they happen to the best teams. A loss can be an incident. Ultimately CL is still somewhat dependant of luck and form of the day. So I am not underestimating Chelsea at all. I am just not ready to draw any conclusions about this team and its coach based on the negative outcome of one game.

Last edited:

henias

Funny, I thought I was the mindreader.

But to address your post seriously: No. I don't think everything will be a comfortable win. I just don't think that the worth of all that the team has shown and performed so far hinges on the win or loss of one game. Losses happen, they happen to the best teams. A loss can be an incident. Ultimately CL is still somewhat dependant of luck and form of the day. So I am not underestimating Chelsea at all. I am just not ready to draw any conclusions about this team based on one game.

You never explicitly state that, but you saying nonchantly "What test? What is there to be tested?" implies u think that I'm underestimating Barcelona and that's clearly not the case. And I'm not that dim to think that is a direct question and I know what u are trying to bring across.

Everything depends on form as well, even our win against Madrid is clearly very one sided in terms of form. But u would clearly not talk about form, whenever Barca wins. It is a two legged game (not one match) against our first England opponent so it will be a very good gauge, nonetheless, whether u like it or not. Imagine if we won against City, you would have hailed Barca as the best in Europe. Admit it.

Horatio

You're welcome
That we are definitely up to par with high flying City and would certainly be a strong contender for the UCL trophy. Anything wrong with that?

So beating Chelsea is the test to see if we will be able to beat City, even though you just admitted Chelsea is a team we usually struggle against. Got it.

Anyway my point is that the mention of a test is nonsensical as any match can be argued to be a test.
This attitude of approaching and calling every game as a test also seems to be a thing of this season. Didn't see this previous seasons.

Last edited:

henias

So beating Chelsea is the test to see if we will be able to beat City, even though you just admitted Chelsea is a team we usually struggle against. Got it.

Never said we will beat City, but we will be a strong opponent if we face them.

Yes, Chelsea is a team we struggled against, not as strong as they used to be but still 3rd in England, so winning them will be a good gauge of how we will do against the English sides, considering how Spain isnt doing too well in the CL. Not sure what sarcasm u are trying to imply there. Nice try tho.

Anyway my point is that the mention of a test is nonsensical as any match can be argued to be a test.
This attitude of approaching and calling every game as a test also seems to be a thing of this season. Didn't see this previous seasons.

Never treated everything as a test, I only said this is the first English side + an infamous opponent that we have struggled against that makes it more iconic and important.

You were getting uptight as soon as I said "test" at the beginning and I only mentioned Chelsea.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

Valverde is slowly starting to win me over. There is a lot more fluidity to the play creating chances is not as big a problem as earlier in the season.

That said, against Chelsea I’d opt for 3 upfront due to Chelsea playing with a back 3. I think the pairing of Messi, Suarez and Dembélé will cause them endless problems. They’d have a much easier time with only 2 upfront.

behindbrowneyes

That we are definitely up to par with high flying City and would certainly be a strong contender for the UCL trophy. Anything wrong with that?

A fixture against Chelsea says nothing about our chances against City. Yeah, if we beat them we are "better" than the 3rd of EPL but this has no influence on our chances vs City as you can't compare their style. It is like comparing a left-back with a defensive midfielder.

City isn't a typical English side.

henias

A fixture against Chelsea says nothing about our chances against City. Yeah, if we beat them we are "better" than the 3rd of EPL but this has no influence on our chances vs City as you can't compare their style. It is like comparing a left-back with a defensive midfielder.

City isn't a typical English side.

I know all about that and I never said we will beat City. But like I said beating Chelsea will be a confidence booster, and we would have better chances against them.

And who knows, maybe City and Barca are indeed the two best in Europe and alot can change from now till then. We will see.

Last edited:

vlad

Lucho won the treble while almost out coaching every coach he faced in CL or Liga in 2nd half, he was never a bad tactically
We lost a bit in 15/16 because of squad being thin and aged, thanks to transfer ban that fucked us
His weakness was last season, when he simply was out of ideas and exhausted as a coach, and even then he was able to get some great performance out of his hat in Remontada and both Classicos.
But Pep once described the reason he left is that he had no more ideas to try in the team, that was Lucho problem last season and he figured that early and refused to renew.
EV is giving us fresh ideas and change, it doesn't mean he is better or worse. some time change even if same level of coaching would make huge difference

That is a great comment mate!

That is the reason why alex ferguson is truly greatest coach of all time, no one will come near him, todays top manager can motivate squad for max 4 seasons and they are gone

henias

Good to see you are starting to agree with me.

Nah mate, u are just obsessed with me. Quoting some general statements doesnt make urs any better. I still hold my main stand, Chelsea will be a good test and they are closest to date than when we were to face Manchester City which can be end of the season(thats if we even get past Chelsea).

Get triggered all u want.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
You wanted Messi gone to City and shat the most on Valverde and now can't do neither so clamour about "real test". :lol:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Suppose ground where we haven't won in a decade and where we are playing today is not a good test. Or away matches at Atletico, Bilbao, Juve, Valencia, Real, Celta.
Maybe if we lost one of them then it would be "proven" how we failed it.

Home of Barca Fans