Ernesto Valverde - V1

FinBarcelonafan

Let's not get carried away, we played well maybe for 20 minutes last night, a combination of Ter Stegen and bad finishing from Madrid kept them off the score sheet.

I commend Valverde for delivering unbelievable results with a mediocre squad for our standards, but he didn't do anything revolutionary last night.

My feelings of This, although I have to admit Valverde is doing everything he can with the roster he has. He is doing good.

serghei

Now, if Valverde will somehow find a way to promote 1-2 players for Barca B, he'd be even better. Do it in Copa.

Horatio

You're welcome
And thus the media hype train begins...
I was enjoying our underdog role. Now we are considered a 'strong team' again. *sigh*

Leave Valverde alone pls

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
It would be pretty foolish if the board doesn't give him a solid midfield, in January, to have a shot at CL - We would never ever have such an advantage again. This is sort of like the advantage that the likes of PSG, Bayern have!

Get him a good midfield signing or 2 now and it would be like - If the players start to perform well immediately, it's just great because we would have a legitimate shot at CL. If they need time to gell in, it's still good because the following season would like their second season and start performing well even though they are relatively still new.

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

I was enjoying our underdog role. Now we are considered a 'strong team' again. *sigh*

Leave Valverde alone pls

Well, we are developing as a team and turning slowly into a "contender" in CL, but same as Bayern too and most of hupe is on City and P$G. so overall I like that.

It would be pretty foolish if the board doesn't give him a solid midfield, in January, to have a shot at CL - We would never ever have such an advantage again. This is sort of like the advantage that the likes of PSG, Bayern have!

Get him a good midfield signing or 2 now and it would be like - If the players start to perform well immediately, it's just great because we would have a legitimate shot at CL. If they need time to gell in, it's still good because the following season would like their second season and start performing well even though they are relatively still new.

Really tough to get a difference maker in January transfer market tbf

serghei

Well, we are developing as a team and turning slowly into a "contender" in CL, but same as Bayern too and most of hupe is on City and P$G. so overall I like that.

Really tough to get a difference maker in January transfer market tbf

And not to mention one that is not cup tied. Maybe Arthur, but is he really a difference maker in midfield? More like a transfer for the future than one who can top class right away.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member

Nic read.

Leave Valverde alone pls

Article says Real dominated but failed to capitalize and that this Barca is less talented plus that this win at Bernabeu falls short of others where we used to dominate.

He does praise Valverde but it's nothing over the top. He concedes it's Busi and Messi plus the old core that is crucial. And he does make a fine relation between Paulinho and Valverde and how they "embody the lower expectations of the squad".

For my part, I always said that team and squad names shouldn't be confused. You don't need 11 world class players. You need team spirit, cohesion, understanding, motivation, right tactics. Valverde succeeded in most of those. No team will walk over this Barca and with stronger defensive block and X factor that is Messi we can beat anyone.

Windhook

We need more clinical players to finish the job. It's great that Suarez returned to form right when it was needed, Paulinho is also the type of player with great sense of scoring and heading. But the rest of the squad is way behind, most of them with a single goal so far. It's tragedy for Barcelona that the fraud Andre Gomes is in top 5 of goalscoring attempts for the club. I used to go mad with Neymar, he would score 1 or 2 out of 5 attempts every game, usually aiming the hands/body of the goalkeeper.

Horatio

You're welcome

I am not saying we are not growing. I'd like us to develop and have a serious shot at the CL too. Ofcourse!
What irks me is that now suddenly we receiving praise but the first time the team will disappoint there will be papers saying "this is not the Barca we were used to seeing, Barca abandoned their philosophy and are paying the price, Barca stopped being a joy to watch etc". Just the usual opportunistic behaviour from media.

Barcilliant

I am not saying we are not growing. I'd like us to develop and have a serious shot at the CL too. Ofcourse!
What irks me is that now suddenly we receiving praise but the first time the team will disappoint there will be papers saying "this is not the Barca we were used to seeing, Barca abandoned their philosophy and are paying the price, Barca stopped being a joy to watch etc". Just the usual opportunistic behaviour from media.

That's what happened to Tata after that 4-0 win where we had less possession. After that Tata lost his nerve and the team went into free fall. I think Valverde is a stronger character though. We got savaged after Super cup loss and he knuckled down and has got results.

I have been very critical of him but his impact on the teams defence and organisation is undeniable. We actually look comfortable in defence both from open play and set pieces. Set pieces used to be a wild card even under Pep's reign but now we defend them better.

I think the jury is still out on Valverde. People should not get carried away just yet. Titles are won in May not December. We have a tough Cl tie with Chelsea and in La Liga we can't take our foot of the gas.

I just hope we get two players in. It's the least the board can do after the fiasco in the summer and Valverdes subsequent over achievement with the current squad.

Home of Barca Fans