Ernesto Valverde - V1

serghei

You simply can't dominate them for 90 minutes at their ground when they are fighting for their own life's. Also RM won 5-0 against Sevilla and people were talking how they gaining momentum and how our lead will dissapear soon.

Kovacic didn't went full retard, he was man marking Messi, the thing that worked so well in Supercopa now backfired for them.

Valverde figured out how to play around them man marking Messi, which was to instruct our lesser on the ball players to be drive forward when in space and left unpressured. both Paulinho and Rakitic did that alot with or without the ball, knowing Madrid will guard Iniesta and Messi in particular more zealously.

Gaudi

I like this approach in big games, provided we continue to be strong defensively and not give away easy chances for the opponent.

Strange how people don't like him now, I was sceptical when we hired him but I'm actually more and more convinced in him. It started after AM game where I thought we played quite smart and well.
I actaully have a funny concern - if we somehow get Coutinho and Griezman, Dembele back and so on..we will be able to control everyone, my concern is he will fell in that trap and expose us defensively. Now he has something like smaller team tactics plus Messi magic and that works for him.

serghei

Strange how people don't like him now, I was sceptical when we hired him but I'm actually more and more convinced in him. It started after AM game where I thought we played quite smart and well.
I actaully have a funny concern - if we somehow get Coutinho and Griezman, Dembele back and so on..we will be able to control everyone, my concern is he will fell in that trap and expose us defensively. Now he has something like smaller team tactics plus Messi magic and that works for him.

If we get Coutinho I have no worries. Imo, he's also very underrated defensively when not used in attack. He's been playing as a wide midfielder for Brazil and did great. I think Coutinho is the total package myself. Been watching him a lot and he is not your typical Brazil talent with flair but one that is quite hard to train. Imo, he really is a team player. Will do what the manager asks him to do and is a humble, hard working dude. Barca player imo. The kind we need to pursue. Quality, but also hard working, and humble. Could be a better player for us than Neymar if we sign him next summer at the latest.

With Dembele I share your thoughts. He's quite a Neymar type, and not as tactically disciplined. Imo, one of the key aspects of how we play atm, is how everyone follows the instructions, only Messi has a more free role, but even he was not as free. In this Clasico he also shared tactical roles. We run a very tight operation atm. The plan is clear and the players put it in practice as rehearsed with Valverde and the rest of the staff. We're seeing a more structured, role-assigned team. We can do several things and switch between them according to our needs in the game. We can sit a bit back and absorb pressure, playing on the counter, we can have spells in which we dominate teams the old way, we can stall games using possession to just see games out meaning we don't pass unless we're sure the ball reaches the destination etc. The 4-4-2 is more useful when we try to absorb pressure, because it can be turned into a 4-4-1-1, 4-5-1 or other variations that are hard to beat in defense, while the 4-3-3 is more useful when you need to score and chase a game.

I would be curious to see if we can implement a 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 and viceversa adaptable system with these players, aligned like that:

1649194_FC_Barcelona.jpg

and

1649195_FC_Barcelona.jpg

Of course we can have some variations, with Roberto in midfield (or maybe Arthur / Goretzka / Alena etc.), and Semedo at RB.

I think it can work. Basically, I'd like us to be able to switch from 4-3-3 to 4-4-2 (and also other variations like 4-2-3-1, 4-1-2-1-2) when we want, without having to make substitutions.

Last edited:

Ursegor

World Champion
When the fuck will this fallacy that we were schooled in the first half be laid to rest? RM played their hearts and lungs out and we mostly sat back soaking up the pressure, limiting them to fairly few real goal scoring chances.

If playing more defensively and perhaps un-barcalike is getting schooled, then sure.

Fact of the matter is, no matter if it fits the Barcaforum narrative in regards to our horrible squad and fraud of a coach, we beat Los Merengues at the Bernabeu three fucking nil and will begin our holidays with a 14 (11) points lead to our eternal rivals.

They had 2 shots on goal in the first half. Don't know either what people have watched.

There is no team that will not concede chances in the Bernabeu over 90 minutes. Which team went there and dominated from start to finish without letting them play? Even when dominating so much that we scored 6 we still conceded 2 and could have conceded more in prime Pepcelona days. It's the Bernabeu, this isn't Fifa.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Same guys that wished Messi to leave to City are whining after Clasico win or waiting for the "real" test again.

:facepalm:

Windhook

I was skeptical, too, when he was appointed. His conservative defensive style at Athletic Bilbao made me think in such way.

Have to acknowledge under Valverde Barcelona are playing their best defensive football in years, if not decade. This defensive straight line Ter Stegen - Umtiti - Busquets has been solid, fantastic this season.

Devils

It a total sense we aren't the best team in Europe, but certainly the most difficult to break down and the most frustrating to play against.

xXKonan

Real's gameplan from what I've seen after watching some highlights yesterday since I was still sleeping when the game was on, was to press and score a couple of goals in the first half and sit back in the second half. However as you can see it didn't happen.

During the second half it seemed like Real were frustrated because we made it so difficult for them to try and get anything through the middle along with Pique and Verm standing strong in the center of the defense. Alba and Roberto did there jobs great as well in the second half.

The Bernabeu is not easy at all. Hell even during the 0-4 win at the Bernabeu back in 2015, Real had numerous chances to score but Bravo kept them out. Place is like a pressure cooker and add the fact that this is Real Madrid and not some team like Levante, it's a real accomplishment to win here.

khaled_a_d

I honestly think there is bigger chance we don't get either of them than getting both. It is December, most of the persistent rumors at this time of the year turn out to be rubbish

Home of Barca Fans