Ernesto Valverde - V1

M

MessiCam

I have the feeling that Dembélés return will change everything to the better. It's obvious that 4-3-3 is still our system and with a quality winger like him the whole offense will benefit. Our midfielders will have an option more to pass to, Messi gets unburdened and our RB will have a partner in crime. Suárez will be glad too.

You're dreaming if you think 4-3-3 is the system that will be used... It was tried earlier in the season and although it worked out for Messi it didn't for Suarez, who is incapable of playing as a left wing. Recently the 4-3-3 has only been played when Messi was on the bench and in Copa games. I don't know, but Valverde seems to think that Messi, not Suarez, is the problem despite the False 9 giving midfield superiority as well as a lethal finisher in front of goal. Valverde switched to a 4-3-3 last night and Messi had to settle for a midfield role... It was the same against Sporting after he came on...

Valverde's priorities, as far as I'm concerned are warped. He is setting the team up FOR Suarez when it should be setup for Messi. It's a total waste.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
Of course he'll play 4-3-3 then Dembele returns, EV resorting to 4-4-2 now because Deulofeu and Vidal are not Barca quality. And then Dembele returns it'll be easier for Messi and Suarez since they have someone to combine with and we'll have pace upfront.

M

MessiCam

Of course he'll play 4-3-3 then Dembele returns, EV resorting to 4-4-2 now because Deulofeu and Vidal are not Barca quality. And then Dembele returns it'll be easier for Messi and Suarez since they have someone to combine with and we'll have pace upfront.

Where does Messi play in this 4-3-3?

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
And Suarez was useless as a LW so much so that 4-3-3 was abandoned. What makes you think it will return?

It wasn't abandoned because of Suarez, it was abandoned because Deulofeu and Vidal suck on the wings, then Dembele return it'll be different story.

M

MessiCam

It wasn't abandoned because of Suarez, it was abandoned because Deulofeu and Vidal suck on the wings, then Dembele return it'll be different story.

4-3-3 was played against Sporting with Suarez in the centre and Paco and Vidal on the wings... There is no way Valverde plays Suarez as a LW again. That ship has sailed... Dembele will either play as attacking mid or right midfield.

jamrock

With a singing or two he could go on to win everything by the end of the season, stranger things have happened, but Jesus I can't stand watching us play under him, sometimes I just wait for the result and clutch my fist if we will, because that brings me more joy than watching football club Barcelona.

serghei

I think we should try Dembele - Suarez - Messi see how we play. I have a feeling this might be the best setup. Suarez needs to play centrally imo. He's off form (getting better this last few weeks), but he's the only one who can wrestle with defenders.

jairzinho

I think we should try Dembele - Suarez - Messi see how we play. I have a feeling this might be the best setup. Suarez needs to play centrally imo. He's off form (getting better this last few weeks), but he's the only one who can wrestle with defenders.

This IS the best setup.

Saurez through the middle is the only option. He doesn't have the mobility to play on the wings.

In midfield i'd go with Paulinho-Busi-Iniesta and we can switch to a 4-5-1 when defending.

JamDav1982

Play Messi RW and he will drift centrally and do next to nothing to help the defend the RB.

PSG and Juve battered Barca last year and exploited it. Emery said as much.

Just looked like Messi had no interest in playing RW for a while now.

behindbrowneyes

You're dreaming if you think 4-3-3 is the system that will be used... It was tried earlier in the season and although it worked out for Messi it didn't for Suarez, who is incapable of playing as a left wing. Recently the 4-3-3 has only been played when Messi was on the bench and in Copa games. I don't know, but Valverde seems to think that Messi, not Suarez, is the problem despite the False 9 giving midfield superiority as well as a lethal finisher in front of goal. Valverde switched to a 4-3-3 last night and Messi had to settle for a midfield role... It was the same against Sporting after he came on...

Valverde's priorities, as far as I'm concerned are warped. He is setting the team up FOR Suarez when it should be setup for Messi. It's a total waste.

Just saw this video and I think he explains it really well. Of course the question is where Suárez and Messi will play. I'm with Guardiola in this point: The best player has to play where he has the most influence and this will be false9 for Messi again. Pointless to discuss what Valverde is thinking.

[youtube]bAnMg4jMjww[/youtube]

jairzinho

Play Messi RW and he will drift centrally and do next to nothing to help the defend the RB.

FFS, you hit the nail on the head.

That's the only predicament with playing the 4-3-3 with Messi as the RW cos he stays centrally as a number ten.

One solution would be to copy what Pep has done at city and play Messi in the Silva role.

chelsea-city_zpsa4hvoqrn.png

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
3-4-3 would be the solution to the problem I guess.

-------Suarez---------Dembele
-----------------Messi
Alba-----------Iniesta-------Roberto
-----------------Busi
----Verma-----Pique---Umtiti

serghei

FFS, you hit the nail on the head.

That's the only predicament with playing the 4-3-3 with Messi as the RW cos he stays centrally as a number ten.

One solution would be to copy what Pep has done at city and play Messi in the Silva role.

chelsea-city_zpsa4hvoqrn.png

Silva runs 3km more per game than Messi. That's huge.

We're going to have to convince him to stay in less crowded areas, and those are the wider ones. Because if he goes in crowded areas and he doesn't move a lot, he'll be marked out by any good team for large portions in the game. Already happened in CL in recent years quite a lot.

In the end, Messi has to follow the tactical instructions of the manager like any other player. Last time Messi won the Ballon d'Or was in 2014-15 and he played on the right drifting inside on his left foot. But starting position was towards the wing.

Midfielder Messi is toothless against big teams because of his low workrate.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans