Ernesto Valverde - V1

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
4-4-2 - fail, 4-3-3 - win.

Denis comes off, Paco gets in, we switch to 4-3-3 and immediately look more dangerous.

Maybe we wouldn't win had Villarreal stayed with 11 men and they made Mats make 5 saves but I'd like to take the positives and that's Valverde seeing his mistake and changing tactics.

I'd still give him a chance, Neymar leaving, Dembele picking up an injury. Let's hold this season out, try to get as far as we can in CL and see what he does in the summer transfer window.

Givenchy

I'm happy with the job hes done looking at the form and quality of some of our players but 4-4-2 just feels dirty

Horatio

You're welcome
Almost can't blame him for the tactics for this game. Had Villareal scored the first goal we would probably only gotten away here with 1 point max.

jairzinho

The 4-5-1 against Juve is a better system if staying compact is what Valverde wants.

The 4-4-2 today was a mess especially without a player like the Don in midfield.

To much emphasis was placed on Messi to create and what's worse he had to drop way too deep to collect the ball.

JamDav1982

I dont blame Valverde for trying to find a more balances approach.

Really Barca dont have a midfield that can go toe to toe in an open game with likes of City/PSG etc at the moment.

Think he is looking longer term for those bigger games.

Obviously can play more expansive against some of these La Liga teams but he is looking past that I think.

henias

The red card screwed Villareal over. Everything look stoic until the 60th minute. Gets away with luck all the time. Against big teams 442 definitely will not work.

Birdy

Before the red card the xG scoreline was equal, the game was heading for a straight 0-0 draw. After the red card the gap widened as expected:
DQt29e7X4AAmvKw.jpg

The problem today, and every time that EV plays all of Rakitic, Messi, Suarez, is we don't have someone at RW.
Even for the 4-4-2 we wants to play, this is clearly not working:
DQt2-2OWAAE_s3a.jpg

There is a huge whole on the right flank, reminiscent of the last two years under Lucho.

The problem starts with having two people (Suarez, Messi) that don't drop down when the whole team does, and so you end up not only defending not well, but also decreasing the danger of a possible counter.
In important games, i think it is imperative to revert to 4-3-3 with messi as false 9 and Suarez on the bench, since he cannot play the winger position that cuts in with providing proper defensive cover anymore
In unimportant games, if EV wants a 4-4-2, i think he should play it more like a 4-4-1-1 with one of Rakitic, paulinho next to Sergio. We cannot afford not having a right flank again..

henias

[MENTION=4451]Birdy[/MENTION] Perfect illustration for what I have been talking about. Look how congested the middle is, and how the flanks are not utilised. Vermaelen and Pique terribly isolated, it's a huge huge risk EV is taking bcos against big teams, the 2CBs and Busquets WILL be exposed. It already happened against Celta, no doubt it will happen again. Umtiti exerted himself too much as a result, due to the heavy defensive load.

People seem to care about results, results, results. If it wasn't for the red card, the game would have been another draw again. Our attack only seemed to open up after the 60th minute, which is after Villareal lost a man and panicked.

If EV insists on a 442, either get rid of the possession style or have one midfielder be a winger hybrid and push one fullback backwards. His tactics are very contradictory and it just wouldnt work properly.

Ivan Rakitic is terribly slow and Sergi Roberto cant go forward because of that. Even Semedo and Roberto on the right side will do a better job. It doesnt take a genius to see how clueless Valverde is.

Last edited:

Gaudi

To judge him completely he really needs at least one class midfielder. What is the point of our midfielders if they can't create or make a lucid pass?
But what I don't like (and makes it harder for mediocore mids to create) is our slow game. When we play this slow of course opposition will "park the bus". I put quottations marks because they don't even plan on parking a bus but when you play this slow is natural to just put the boddies behind the ball and wait. If you're not a magical player (like Messi) of course it's now even more difficult to create somethnig from midfield as all you see is opposition jerseys. To little movement off the ball and to static play means putting everything on Messi.

behindbrowneyes

I have the feeling that Dembélés return will change everything to the better. It's obvious that 4-3-3 is still our system and with a quality winger like him the whole offense will benefit. Our midfielders will have an option more to pass to, Messi gets unburdened and our RB will have a partner in crime. Suárez will be glad too.

MagIX

1)Not so sure that 4-3-3 will work....not sure if we have quality midfielders good enough for a midfield with 3 players.
4 players midlfield helped us very much defensively.
Playing a 4-3-3- means that the wingers have to run up and down because they MUST do a defensive work (like every team which play the 4-3-3)......

2) How will be in front our 4-3-3 ?

Dembele-Suarez-Messi
?
----- Suarez---- Dembele---
--------- Messi------------
?

Home of Barca Fans