Ernesto Valverde - V1

M

MessiCam

Been told that Barça can’t play good passing footie with their current side... But Las Palmas can do it with a bunch of nobodies. Yeah.

JamDav1982

Been told that Barça can’t play good passing footie with their current side... But Las Palmas can do it with a bunch of nobodies. Yeah.

Yeah lets be more like Las Palmas who are third bottom and conceded most goals in league.

Gets worse.

Barca week in week out are playing far better football than them and they are shite compared to last season and barely playing any good football.

Try watching them before spouting this type of guff.

KingLeo10

have to say, understand we could be playing more aesthetically pleasing football, but to use las palmas as an argument given their standing :lol:

rayo vallecano also played attacking football, but guess what happened to them any time they came up versus madrid or barca. smashed by 5-6 goals

M

MessiCam

have to say, understand we could be playing more aesthetically pleasing football, but to use las palmas as an argument given their standing :lol:

rayo vallecano also played attacking football, but guess what happened to them any time they came up versus madrid or barca. smashed by 5-6 goals
But that’s what I’ve been told. Don’t have the players to play that sort of game... Forget about their results.

Las Palmas are moving the ball around crisply and finding spaces when in possession.

khaled_a_d

Not so sure about that. If he makes us play well, rebuilds the team, integrates young players more he could stay, even if he wins nothing this year, although judging by how Madrid shoot themselves in the foot once every two weeks, it takes a monumental fuck up to still miss the La Liga title. We've had managers who stayed even after a failed season, but he has to show those things. And he's not. We're not playing well, we're not rebuilding the team, and he's not trusting the young quality players we have. So he seems to toss all of that aside so he can bring us immediate results. And if he fails at that too, the he should be fired, simple as that.

Be sure about it, last manager who stayed this way was Rijkaard and we had different president and different club status never mind we were best team in terms of points second half of the season. Any coach who win nothing right now will get the axe, there is a reason why we aren't that attractive for most coaches.

KingLeo10

But that’s what I’ve been told. Don’t have the players to play that sort of game... Forget about their results.

Las Palmas are moving the ball around crisply and finding spaces when in possession.

not condoning valverde, he is clearly not a top tier coach. but players' motivations plays a part in crisp passing/pressing . we managed to do it versus juve this very season but motivating this group of highly successful players, including messi, to turn up like that for every game is a constant struggle.

JamDav1982

No one is saying that. Las Palmas are a poor example and not playing well today either.

Just plucking names out when dont know how they play and Barca pass it far better than them anyway.

M

MessiCam

not condoning valverde, he is clearly not a top tier coach. but players' motivations plays a part in crisp passing/pressing . we managed to do it versus juve this very season but motivating this group of highly successful players, including messi, to turn up like that for every game is a constant struggle.

Then that’s another of Valverde’s shortcomings. Good coaches sell the players on a certain way of playing and get them to do it on the field week in week out.

JamDav1982

Then that’s another of Valverde’s shortcomings. Good coaches sell the players on a certain way of playing and get them to do it on the field week in week out.

Las Palmas are well coached right enough...

Think the players are playing the way he wants them to.

BBZ8800

From coaches who won titles for Barca in the last 20 years (except the magical Pep):
1. Van Gaal needed some time until a team started to play the way he wants
2. Rijkaard's team was in a bottom of a table in the first 6 Months, he was almost sacked. A team started to play better in the 2nd half of a season, and only in the 2nd season when he sold all remaining players whom he didn't need and when he bought 7 new players for his taste, Barca started to play Joga Bonita paired with actually winning titles
3. Lucho's team was a disgrace for the first 6 Months, even though he had (somewhat younger) Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets-MSN

EV is here for 4 Months.
His results are awesome, a beauty of play is mediocre.
Yet
1. we have the oldest Barca's team ever (not his fault, but board's who tied players like Luis and Rakitic)
2. we have a team with a lowest amount of motivation ever in our history due to winning too many trophies in the last 10 years and because majority of those core players are still here. Older than 30 and drained in motivation (Iniesta, Pique, Mascherano, Rakitic, Busquets)
3. our most expensive signing ever played 100-ish minutes in total
4. La Masia is extremely dry lately, where someone like Samper is the 2nd best player in the last 5 years

You guys are insanely harsh on EV.
And I am 99% sure, if by some magic, we never had Pep and his magical years, people wouldn't whine that much today.
You are spoiled too much by Pep's Barca, when we were dominating the world in every possible aspect.

Remember, Barca ABSOLUTELY NEVER dominated the world before Pep.
We had some short good spells, but we were never even close to being the best in every possible aspect.
A team from early 90s came close to a world's domination and Rijkaard's Barca in 2006 with Ronaldinho.

Our whole history (I would dare to say), was even way worse (when you sum everything, beauty and results) than a current EV's results and beauty of play.

This is actually quite a good Barca, compared to ALL Barca's since 1899.
When you compare it to Barca's from 2009, yes, then we suck in beauty.

But 2009 till today was "poisoned" (in a positive way) by one and only Messi-Xavi-Iniesta-Pep and it is unfair to compare anything in a football world with those names and their football.

Last edited:
M

MessiCam

From coaches who won titles for Barca in the last 20 years (except the magical Pep):
1. Van Gaal needed some time until a team started to play the way he wants
2. Rijkaard's team was in a bottom of a table in the first 6 Months, he was almost sacked. A team started to play better in the 2nd half of a season, and only in the 2nd season when he sold all remaining players whom he didn't need and when he bought 7 new players for his taste, Barca started to play Joga Bonita paired with actually winning titles
3. Lucho's team was a disgrace for the first 6 Months, even though he had (somewhat younger) Xavi-Iniesta-Busquets-MSN

EV is here for 4 Months.
His results are awesome, a beauty of play is mediocre.
Yet
1. we have the oldest Barca's team ever (not his fault, but board's who tied players like Luis and Rakitic)
2. we have a team with a lowest amount of motivation ever in our history due to winning too many trophies in the last 10 years and because majority of those core players are still here. Older than 30 and drained in motivation (Iniesta, Pique, Mascherano, Rakitic, Busquets)
3. our most expensive signing ever played 100-ish minutes in total
4. La Masia is extremely dry lately, where someone like Samper is the 2nd best player in the last 5 years

You guys are insanely harsh on EV.
And I am 99% sure, if by some magic, we never had Pep and his magical years, people wouldn't whine that much today.
You are spoiled too much by Pep's Barca, when we were dominating the world in every possible aspect.

Remember, Barca ABSOLUTELY NEVER dominated the world before Pep.
We had some short good spells, but we were never even close to being the best in every possible aspect.
A team from early 90s came close to a world's domination and Rijkaard's Barca in 2006 with Ronaldinho.

Our whole history (I would dare to say), was even way worse (when you sum everything, beauty and results) than a current EV's results and beauty of play.

This is actually quite a good Barca, compared to ALL Barca's since 1899.
When you compare it to Barca's from 2009, yes, then we suck in beauty.

But 2009 till today was "poisoned" (in a positive way) by one and only Messi-Xavi-Iniesta-Pep and it is unfair to compare anything in a football world with those names and their football.
Please stop bringing the past into every conversation... This is a simple concept. Can Barcelona play more attractive ball with the players they have? The type of ball that this very coach has said he wants to play, a style that he said is sacrosanct.

Because all I’m seeing, and it’s not just me, is a conservative style built on this myth that he’s improved the team defensively.

I have news for you. He hasn’t... He may have a different defensive style but Barcelona, in recent memory, haven’t conceded much in any event and it was way less stressful because they maintained possession. In fact many of the defensive problems persist. 3 of the 4 goals conceded this season have come from set pieces and they’re susceptible to the counter attack. Does that sound familiar?

I mean 4 months into a coaches tenure and you’d expect to see the building blocks of where he’s headed but he has regressed. The pressing is less intense, the passing is poorer for large parts of a game.

Now, people are telling me it’s a motivation thing... Guess what? It’s his job to motivate and sell the players on his brand of football and if that doesn’t work use the players who are even if just to make an example. If it continues then tell him his no longer part of the plan going forward.

The reason Barcelona are in this current mess is because mediocrity has been entertained and continues to be.

Tell me what happens if the necessary reinforcements don’t arrive because he couldn’t convince them of his project? Do we give him a pat on the back and say you inherited this mess or do we tell him to get in with it?

Devils

Barca under Valverde, so far, is just solid.

Not dominant, frightening, fluid and systematic like the Barca of recent times.

Just solid. Think it will be enough to get us La Liga, but CL is not something I see this type of Barca competing for.

Neeraj

I don't see why Barca has to be compared to the Pep version or the olden sides. Plenty of teams play better looking football right now, so naturally, we should be expected to play better, given our stature.

Home of Barca Fans