Ernesto Valverde - V1

Messigician

Ernesto Valverde published a collection of black‑and‑white images described by the Basque poet and writer Bernardo Atxaga as “at once delicate and tough, as if produced by two different hands”.

He considered becoming a photographer after retiring from football and planned to at least dedicate it time, always fascinated by what the snappers at pitchside were doing. But he decided to become a coach instead and now manages FC Barcelona.

Cruyff wrote of him: “He was intelligent and always expressed his interest to learn. As a coach he’ll be one of the most promising.” This is not the first time Barcelona have called, nor are they the only ones. Two summers ago Real Madrid wanted him: he was their first choice, ahead of Rafa Benítez.

Valverde said no,*

When Guardiola left Barcelona, he made two recommendations to succeed him: Valverde and his assistant Tito Vilanova.*It was Vilanova they chose, seeking continuity, but two more offers followed swiftly. The next year Barcelona discreetly mentioned the job to him as they sought potential solutions to a delicate problem posed by Vilanova’s deteriorating health. Vilanova wanted to continue, so Barcelona respected that and Valverde agreed to return to Athletic. By the time doctors recommended that Vilanova did not continue, it was too late. Valverde had made a promise and he kept his word.

Tata Martino took over at the Camp Nou then but*walked a year later. Again Barcelona offered Valverde the job; again he said he could not leave. When Madrid came, the response was the same. Barcelona accepted and signed Luis Enrique, but advised Valverde they would return. The change of sporting director did not change that intention and this summer, his contract up, European football secure for a fourth season, he and Athletic agreed it was time, no recriminations, no regrets.

*“His greatest strength is his management of the dressing room,” says the Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera. “He’s a top coach in that sense: honest, direct, transparent. It’s not easy to find a situation where starters and subs are both with the manager to the death.”

González says: “He’s very good psychologically and emotionally, a good motivator. He knows when to push, when to ease off. All coaches have ideas, badges, models, but ultimately that treatment, the dialogue and feedback with players, is vital. That’s his secret.”

One friend calls him a “son of Cruyff”, his fitness coach José Antonio Pozanco was raised at La Masia and later worked with Rijkaard; Xavi Hernández, that most determined defender of the Barcelona faith, insisted in 2007: “Valverde’s teams play good football: they like to have the ball, they don’t just boot it.

“Light matters, goals matter more. In photos and in football, you seek balance,” he said when his exhibition opened in Athens. “Both depend on the elements you have available to you.”

“There’s variety in his system, his methods. He knows how to train: he makes it fun, a lot of the ball, technical work. He’s not repetitive and players love it – every day is different. He’s not overly obsessed with tiny tactical details, not least because the ideas, the philosophy, is so ingrained at both Athletic and Barcelona,” González says.*

“One of his strengths is that he adapts,” Herrera says. “In Bilbao, with Raúl García and Aritz Aduriz, two great finishers in the air, he played in a way that aimed to get the ball into them as soon as possible, particularly from wide positions; in Barcelona, I’m sure he’ll adapt to fit the qualities of the players. These days managing dressing room egos is fundamental and Ernesto is fantastic at that.*

Amazing how after all this people think he doesn't have the full backing of the board and is likely to leave...

Last edited:

George_Costanza

Ernesto Valverde published a collection of black‑and‑white images described by the Basque poet and writer Bernardo Atxaga as “at once delicate and tough, as if produced by two different hands”.

He considered becoming a photographer after retiring from football and planned to at least dedicate it time, always fascinated by what the snappers at pitchside were doing. But he decided to become a coach instead and now manages FC Barcelona.

Cruyff wrote of him: “He was intelligent and always expressed his interest to learn. As a coach he’ll be one of the most promising.” This is not the first time Barcelona have called, nor are they the only ones. Two summers ago Real Madrid wanted him: he was their first choice, ahead of Rafa Benítez.

Valverde said no,*

When Guardiola left Barcelona, he made two recommendations to succeed him: Valverde and his assistant Tito Vilanova.*It was Vilanova they chose, seeking continuity, but two more offers followed swiftly. The next year Barcelona discreetly mentioned the job to him as they sought potential solutions to a delicate problem posed by Vilanova’s deteriorating health. Vilanova wanted to continue, so Barcelona respected that and Valverde agreed to return to Athletic. By the time doctors recommended that Vilanova did not continue, it was too late. Valverde had made a promise and he kept his word.

Tata Martino took over at the Camp Nou then but*walked a year later. Again Barcelona offered Valverde the job; again he said he could not leave. When Madrid came, the response was the same. Barcelona accepted and signed Luis Enrique, but advised Valverde they would return. The change of sporting director did not change that intention and this summer, his contract up, European football secure for a fourth season, he and Athletic agreed it was time, no recriminations, no regrets.

*“His greatest strength is his management of the dressing room,” says the Manchester United midfielder Ander Herrera. “He’s a top coach in that sense: honest, direct, transparent. It’s not easy to find a situation where starters and subs are both with the manager to the death.”

González says: “He’s very good psychologically and emotionally, a good motivator. He knows when to push, when to ease off. All coaches have ideas, badges, models, but ultimately that treatment, the dialogue and feedback with players, is vital. That’s his secret.”

One friend calls him a “son of Cruyff”, his fitness coach José Antonio Pozanco was raised at La Masia and later worked with Rijkaard; Xavi Hernández, that most determined defender of the Barcelona faith, insisted in 2007: “Valverde’s teams play good football: they like to have the ball, they don’t just boot it.

“Light matters, goals matter more. In photos and in football, you seek balance,” he said when his exhibition opened in Athens. “Both depend on the elements you have available to you.”

“There’s variety in his system, his methods. He knows how to train: he makes it fun, a lot of the ball, technical work. He’s not repetitive and players love it – every day is different. He’s not overly obsessed with tiny tactical details, not least because the ideas, the philosophy, is so ingrained at both Athletic and Barcelona,” González says.*

“One of his strengths is that he adapts,” Herrera says. “In Bilbao, with Raúl García and Aritz Aduriz, two great finishers in the air, he played in a way that aimed to get the ball into them as soon as possible, particularly from wide positions; in Barcelona, I’m sure he’ll adapt to fit the qualities of the players. These days managing dressing room egos is fundamental and Ernesto is fantastic at that.*

Amazing how after all this people think he doesn't have the full backing of the board and is likely to leave...

Trivia Questions for Valverde's cult followers:

Which club or clubs fired Valverde after only half season because he sucked?

Cule4life

The Culest
He considered becoming a photographer after retiring from football and planned to at least dedicate it time, always fascinated by what the snappers at pitchside were doing

Credit to the man he's still following his hobby by snapping Rakitic in the shower everyday

Havesaks

Maybe below average was harsh but when you see some of his decisions or lack thereof, its hard to look past the guy being a total amatuer out of his depth. i don't see why Chelsea or Spurs would want EV after seeing what hes reduced one of the most talented squads in the world to.. plus his horrible man management of Malcom and Semedo should be a red flag to young players wanting to join Barca.

is he really that dedicated? today Ole, a stand-in manager for United, was at the Lyon PSG match scouting their next opponents.. i've never seen EV doing that. you know why? because EV is stubborn and isn't open to different approaches; this is why come the Lyon tie, we'll see Busi-Raki in midfield and a Bob shitshow at RB with all of our seniors exhausted. managers are supposed to bring players up a level and play based on performances.. yet with EV he has his golden boys and his subs are most likely set in stone before the match begins, theres no reaction to the flow of the game.

look at the Roma match and tell me, why (when we are struggling on the edge of elimination from the CL) did he bring Gomes on - a player who was extremely low on confidence AS THE FIRST SUB in that atmosphere? he had Dembele on the damn bench and he brings Gomes on to try and protect our aggregate.. seriously i want to know the thinking behind this sub because to this day i can't understand it and that is not a Barca type move. since when do we batten down the hatches and hang on for dear life vs Roma level teams?

people can keep pointing to our double last season + the almost unbeaten run but like with most things in football, stats don't tell us the whole story. to go unbeaten last season in la liga playing as we did in most games would of been a mockery to the leagues quality and to other invincibles

You think?

Again we won the double last year. And are in pole position to win La Liga and Copa. We cant judge him on Champions League yet - we will see, oh well we can judge him on the group phase, and i think we played pretty solid in a tough group (minus the game against psv where we got outplayed).

You again fail to recognize that Valverde is a coach with a view that differs from Barcelona philophsy and he is doing it the way he believes in, its still better then him copying some cheap Pep-formula like Tito kinda did. And the board seems to be fine with it for now, thats why they want to extend his contract. I think you should blame the board then, because they now what valverde stadns for and want him to continue. And again:-
Who do you suggest as a replacement for Valverde then?

Fact is we are gradually playing more and more attractive football, it takes time, because players like Arthur, Alena, Dembele need/needed to prove themselves and improve themselves. They are gradually getting more minutes, because they have gradually developed into better players. Malcom is the only odd one out (for now at least).

You cant gamble in the ChL K/O-stage and playing both rakitic and Sergio is justified imo. There are some problems with our RB, but Semedos has played his best football when Dembele has played RW, and he has been out several weeks. So thats it. As said, Dembele, arthur and alena all have improved a lot under his spell here.

Always the roma-game... can we get past that some day, yes EV failed miserably, and not playing Dembele sooner was stupid AF. I dont remember Gomes in the game, but was probably played ue to his physics and giving the team some stability in midfield, i do agree that his type of player was the right fit, but Gomes having all sorts of mental issues at the time, it was stupid of Valverde playing him in a game with such high stakes.

Stats can lie, sure, but our team lost fucking neymar, a pillar of our team, and we got Paulinho in return and 19 y. o. Dembele who was injuried first 6 months. We didnt look invincible last season, but we played pragmatic and secured two titles - and for that Valverde should be applauded.

Last edited:

serghei

Good rehearsal for CL. Let's see how he does. What first 11 he'll put in, how he will set up vs an improved Madrid with some in form players compared with the poor version we schooled.

Givenchy

You think?

Again we won the double last year. And are in pole position to win La Liga and Copa. We cant judge him on Champions League yet - we will see, oh well we can judge him on the group phase, and i think we played pretty solid in a tough group (minus the game against psv where we got outplayed).

You again fail to recognize that Valverde is a coach with a view that differs from Barcelona philophsy and he is doing it the way he believes in, its still better then him copying some cheap Pep-formula like Tito kinda did. And the board seems to be fine with it for now, thats why they want to extend his contract. I think you should blame the board then, because they now what valverde stadns for and want him to continue. And again:-
Who do you suggest as a replacement for Valverde then?

Fact is we are gradually playing more and more attractive football, it takes time, because players like Arthur, Alena, Dembele need/needed to prove themselves and improve themselves. They are gradually getting more minutes, because they have gradually developed into better players. Malcom is the only odd one out (for now at least).

You cant gamble in the ChL K/O-stage and playing both rakitic and Sergio is justified imo. There are some problems with our RB, but Semedos has played his best football when Dembele has played RW, and he has been out several weeks. So thats it. As said, Dembele, arthur and alena all have improved a lot under his spell here.

Always the roma-game... can we get past that some day, yes EV failed miserably, and not playing Dembele sooner was stupid AF. I dont remember Gomes in the game, but was probably played ue to his physics and giving the team some stability in midfield, i do agree that his type of player was the right fit, but Gomes having all sorts of mental issues at the time, it was stupid of Valverde playing him in a game with such high stakes.

Stats can lie, sure, but our team lost fucking neymar, a pillar of our team, and we got Paulinho in return and 19 y. o. Dembele who was injuried first 6 months. We didnt look invincible last season, but we played pragmatic and secured two titles - and for that Valverde should be applauded.

I really don't see how im failing to recognize anything here. EV is a 'Barca-dna' board & seniors puppet, one of the main reasons he needs to go is his style of play; its boring and its shit. it might of worked at Bilbao but this is Barca and we've just watched our arch rivals Madrid win 3 CLs in a row.. should we really only be judging him on la liga/copa? our main aim is to win the CL and we know from last season; when the going gets tough, Ernesto shits his pants. so, forgive me for not having much optimism when i've seen zero evidence hes learned from Rome. you have a point about keep bringing Rome up, its the past i know but that wasn't just a blip, that was utter failure

Busi-Raki combo in midfield may work against poor la liga teams but in the CL we'll get pasted. it has to be one or the other and Vidal-Arthur. playing the turtle combo is stupidity not stability. then we have that right side of defence.. Pique-Bob, a horror show waiting to happen. Bob isn't a bad player but hes not a freaking RB and he doesn't have the pace against fast wingers; Semedo on the other hand is better defensively whilst being a speed demon, something we truly lack right now

i actually applauded EV for his efforts in his first few months here, losing Neymar and then Dembele early on was rough, we were playing shit but he did an amazing job to steady the ship. once that ship was steadied theres been no progress in terms of a system. its still pass the ball to Messi/Dembele and pray, we still have players playing on name sake alone and the football is still boring. this is what you get with a yes-man manager. the seniors walk all over him and decide when and where they play.

as for who i'd want as next manager, im not sure aside from the usual ones like Klopp, Poch etc. but one thing im 100% sure of is it shouldn't under any circumstance be a Barca-DNA puppet, it needs to be a manager with steel to give our players a kick up the ass

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
If the rumor floating around that he subbed out Semedo because he would be starting tomorrow is true - then I give him some credit.

But knowing him for over a season and a half now - it's a slim chance that that particular rumor is true.

And I would campaign for his signature on the contract renewal if the reason he subbed out Alena was because he wanted to play him in El Clasico!! But again it's :valverde:

Leo_Messi

Just when you were sensing a slight improvement of his, he imediately returned to his default level. That Semedo substitution was baffling. There was no logical explanation behind this "tactical" decision whatsoever. Likewise the Aleñá substitution who was our best midfielder (by far) and the only midfielder who was actually making dangerous forward passes, making runs, making one-two passes with Messi and in general looking threatening and most importantly LIVELY.

The old guard (no wonder that they want him to renew and are praising him) playing nonstop due to him not wanting to upset them (shows a lack of leadership skills within the group but that comes as no surprise given that he has little status as a manager to demand such a thing in a club like Barça), a topic that I have discussed in detail in this thread, the exact same predictable substitutions and Malcom getting those obligatory 5 minutes where, surprise, surprise, he looked more threatening and lively than Coutinho did in the entire match. I am sure that those 5 minute appearances of Malcom will give him ample opportunity to prove himself and gain confidence. Just laughable.

Now let us see how he will rotate or lack thereof in this crucial and hectic month.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Well, that would be gross mismanagement and even Valverde's staunchest defenders on this forum would not agree with that.

Heck, Bartomeu's own ass would be on the line.

messi2140

6racies Xavi
tenor.gif

Home of Barca Fans