Ernesto Valverde - V1

serghei

Wouldn't know what to say about this paradox... the state of the team was vastly exaggerated after losing Neymar. Many people were acting as we just turned into Villareal. Valverde's done well, but I don't think he revolutionized anything. He just fixed most of the big errors done by Lucho (especially in defense), and brought the motivation back (also the players usually react after a bad season with a good one the next year). Kept it tighter at the back, reduced the errors, even at the cost of having less creativity etc. All these things, with the state of Madrid, brought us close to a double.

Last edited:

Hamzah

High Definition Member
Wouldn't know what to say about this paradox... the state of the team was vastly exaggerated after losing Neymar. Many people were acting as we just turned into Villareal. Valverde's done well, but I don't think he revolutionized anything. He just fixed most of the big errors done by Lucho (especially in defense), and brought the motivation back (also the players usually react after a bad season with a good one the next year). Kept it tighter at the back, reduced the errors, even at the cost of having less creativity etc. All these things, with the state of Madrid, brought us close to a double.

So he's done a good job

Horatio

You're welcome
[tw]971019661210013696[/tw]

The truth has been spoken :worthy:

Basically 1-on-1 with my post:

Expectations more volatile than crude oil is truly the issue. Beginning of season people had 0 expectations and hoped we could just build towards future or Messi should leave for City if he doesn't want to waste his final years. Then once coach starts getting results people changed that expectation to at least winning the league would be a great achievement considering circumstances. Now that possiblity a treble is still open that has pretty much become the expectation.
Same coach that was expected to not do all that much at the beginning will now be a fraud if we end up with a doble and losing out on CL.

serghei

So he's done a good job

Sure he did. But I don't think he exceeded expectations that much, at least not my expectations. I expect to win La Liga and Copa del Rey with this team when Madrid is making one mistake after the other losing to poor teams.

If he makes the CL semifinals he has exceeded my expectations clearly though. I think that would be mostly his merit. I think there are at least 3 teams better than us in CL: Bayern, City and Madrid.

Last edited:

Horatio

You're welcome
All these things, with the state of Madrid, brought us close to a double.

Disagree with state of Madrid. This year's Barca would've only been surpassed in points by 2 seasons of Madrid. 60/61 and their record 100 points season 11/12.

serghei

Disagree with state of Madrid. This year's Barca would've only been surpassed in points by 2 seasons of Madrid. 60/61 and their record 100 points season 11/12.

Madrid would be very close to us if they kept their last season numbers. We wouldn't be talking about almost winning the league in march with last season's Madrid. It would be a tight race until the end, with the last clasico potentially being decisive.

FinBarcelonafan

[tw]971019661210013696[/tw]

The truth has been spoken :worthy:

Very true. I thought he did very well at the start of season, but lately I haven't been the biggest fan of his starting rosters. He seems to overplay our old squad and even playing injured Pique.

Dembele and Semedo are the biggest problems. I thought they deserved or should have played more. At least Semedo. Dembele needs more minutes!

Devils

Well we were in a state of chaos this summer, especially after the Supercopa.

There was a majority consensus that we far below this Madrid team and we would need a lengthy rebuilding period. Don't think many expected we would have nearly secured a domestic double in Feb.

So yeah, in many ways EV has overperformed on the expectations.

We didnt have 0 chances.

The one chance we had was the goal they gifted us.

Ok fine I’ll give you Paulinho’s missed header. But one chance created is still nowhere near good enough against the likes of this Chelsea. Do you really think Bayern, Madrid, City or even Liverpool would have looked as bad as we did?

Last edited:

Kerrybai

The one chance we had was the goal they gifted us.

Ok fine I’ll give you Paulinho’s missed header. But one chance created is still nowhere near good enough against the likes of this Chelsea. Do you really think Bayern, Madrid, City or even Liverpool would have looked as bad as we did?

I agree they would have done better but its well known that teams like Chelsea are the toughest for us while we can regularly beat teams like Madrid while others cant. I expect Messi to get us over the line Wednesday.

Neymessi

Well we were in a state of chaos this summer, especially after the Supercopa.

There was a majority consensus that we far below this Madrid team and we would need a lengthy rebuilding period. Don't think many expected we would have nearly secured a domestic double in Feb.

So yeah, in many ways EV has overperformed on the expectations.

People need to understand that this was more of real losing the plot. They sold a lot of key players and turned into shit quite fast.

Madrid were strong during supercopa and maybe they still would have been had they not sold so many key players.

JamDav1982

People need to understand that this was more of real losing the plot. They sold a lot of key players and turned into shit quite fast.

Madrid were strong during supercopa and maybe they still would have been had they not sold so many key players.

What players did Real sell that played in Supercopa?

Their squad at time was being talked of on here as best in world and ready to dominate for years.

EV has does a great job to get Barca clear at top of league and has contributed to Reals poor domestic season so far.

Home of Barca Fans