Ernesto Valverde - V1

George_Costanza

For now, it's a battle between Tata & Valverde for worst Barcelona coaches over the past 15 years

I don't think Tata was that bad, he was just unlucky. Also, in 2013 we had a much higher expectation than now. 2008-2011, Barca considered the best team in the history of football, so Tata's time was just a year after that period. I would think we would literally crucify Valverde if he played his football brand in 2013. Even Lucho who I don't rate highly did improve the team, played attractive football and maximize the most out of all his great players especially in his first season.

Valverde will leave when we sell Rakitic.

Givenchy

I don't think Tata was that bad, he was just unlucky. Also, in 2013 we had a much higher expectation than now. 2008-2011, Barca considered the best team in the history of football, so Tata's time was just a year after that period. I would think we would literally crucify Valverde if he played his football brand in 2013. Even Lucho who I don't rate highly did improve the team, played attractive football and maximize the most out of all his great players especially in his first season.

Valverde will leave when we sell Rakitic.

also to add to the higher expectation, Madrid were a force back then so we had to fight hard on all fronts

God Serena

For now, it's a battle between Tata & Valverde for worst Barcelona coaches over the past 15 years

Tata was better. Valverde seems to be going out of his way to be as bad a manager as possible at times. Just look at the circumstances behind both of their teams losing in the CL. A longshot that was only conceded because our backup keeper was sleeping, because our starting keeper suffered an essentially career ending injury a few months prior, compared to the laundry list of issues with the Roma disaster...

Devils

Tata was bought in and didn't have any say in transfers (Neymar came but of course he wasn't a Tata signing and was a transfer years in the making)...Not to mention he was crucified by the media to abandon his style of play and revert back to 'old barca' ways.

Tata never received any backing either from from fans/media or the board in terms building a team.

Dude had his back against the wall the moment he stepped into this club.

EV on the other hand has had the opportunity to spend millions, he has great squad at his disposal and the teflon status in the media. They wont say a single negative thing about him.

Messigician

Tata was bought in and didn't have any say in transfers (Neymar came but of course he wasn't a Tata signing and was a transfer years in the making)...Not to mention he was crucified by the media to abandon his style of play and revert back to 'old barca' ways.

Tata never received any backing either from from fans/media or the board in terms building a team.

Dude had his back against the wall the moment he stepped into this club.

EV on the other hand has had the opportunity to spend millions, he has great squad at his disposal and the teflon status in the media. They wont say a single negative thing about him.

Tata was also forced to change his tactics because of Xavi turning the dressung room against him which led to the disaster at the latter part of the season.

Ursegor

World Champion
You have memories of a goldfish.

Under Tata we set a crossing record against Real Sociedad in the Copa del Rey. 42 crosses, was it? And that with Alves, Iniesta, Busquets, Messi, Pique still in their prime years + Xavi + Fabregas + Neymar who was thrice the talent that Dembélé is.

Valverde is 10 times the coach that Tata was.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I don't think I've been triggered by a player more than when Alves used to pump those crosses in to 1.70m Messi.

Neymessi

You have memories of a goldfish.

Under Tata we set a crossing record against Real Sociedad in the Copa del Rey. 42 crosses, was it? And that with Alves, Iniesta, Busquets, Messi, Pique still in their prime years + Xavi + Fabregas + Neymar who was thrice the talent that Dembélé is.

Valverde is 10 times the coach that Tata was.

No he isn't. Tata had to deal with a messi who had absolutely stopped moving, a fabregas who was doing amazing with his assist in the first half of the season but turned into a gomes in 2nd, a neymar who was playing pretty shit in the 2nd half of the season. Also, Xavi was lightyears away from his peak by then and while iniesta wasn't he still wasn't near his peak.

Also this crossing you talk about was done by your prime alves that time and no one else. He had gone insane crossing all the time and was usually the only player doing that.

When all the players I mentioned were playing well we were having a barca standard season till december not just by results but also by gameplay. Come jan and players turned shite and we went trophyless thanks to wrong disallowed goal in the last match of the season and in that season atletico and RM were wayyyy better than what they were last season when EV won la liga. I actually feel tata should have been given more time

Ursegor

World Champion
Alves didn't cross by his own instructions. He crossed because tactically the team was set up badly in a way that Alves only found himself in crossing positions. Alba made double digit crosses and even Xavi made half a dozen crosses in that particular game against Real Sociedad. Why did Alves not cross like this before Tata or after Tata?

Tata is the guy who famously said Messi should not touch the ball much and set him up like Mario Gomez.

Now suddenly he is a misunderstood genius where everyone else was at fault and he merited more time.

Goldfish memories.

Home of Barca Fans