Ernesto Valverde - V1

jairzinho

14 goals in the last 10 games, 18 in the last 12. We have major defensive issues, in the counter and in open play.

The 'balanced' approach with the 4-4-2 hasn't entirely stopped the leakage. I think we had 4-5-1 ish shape at times at Rayo but they still cut us open like cheese.

The problem isn't necessarily the shape. Having numerical superiority matters little if you are not organized and hard working enough without the ball.

Recognizing the movement of the opponent, picking up the runs and blocking the passing lanes. We need to work in those areas.

Arthur has helped in midfield with his vision and movement to beat the press.

But overall, we lack structure defensively.

jairzinho

We are not reacting well to the movement of the opponent, especially when they make runs from deep to attack the box.

Also, teams are attacking us repeatedly on the right side with Bob, turtle slow Raki and Pique the biggest culprits.

We love to push the fullbacks forward and create overloads out wide. That is fine but we have problems covering the space that's left.

Bob and Raki are sooo slow to regain ground when the ball is lost so we get caught out and exposed repeatedly.

Bob in particular is terrible defending 1v1 against a crafty winger.

You can dribble and beat him to get a cross in, dribble and feint and get space to attack the goal. Either way, you can beat him with pace, trickery or muscle and attack the goal.

He has alot of problems dealing with the direct movement of the attacker.

jairzinho

So in summary, I've wrote 3 posts to say that while Ernie's whole approach is predicated on 'balance' and minimizing risk, we are still leaking goals.

It's bizarre, but it's because we don't have the organization and the tactical discipline to deal with the movement of the opponent whether he is attacking the box in the counter, open play or 1v1 situations as i pointed out with Bob.

I haven't even talked about Ernie's man management which is high questionable.

It isn't just highly questionable it's suspicions. It seems as if he's limited in the technical side of the game so he makes up for it by sticking with most of the gala XI playing them repeatedly and into the ground.

Even today when Raki should come off with the yellow he takes a gamble and keeps him on. He doens't have the ability to work with and develop the younger players or put together a system where they can flourish and express themselves.

He's been sticking with the Gala XI and churning out results, while simultaneously running them into the ground. Only an injury or suspension can force a guy like Raki or Bob to the bench.

I've said enough for now.

Last edited:

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
I would have killed the asshole if he happened to come across my path yesterday - What a pig. Kept playing his routine players (Rakitic, Roberto) and now when the shit hit the fan, what does he do? Take off Arthur & Malcom!! What the fuck

I really, really wish we had conceded 5-6 goals yesterday and this asshole got fired - Worse than what Rafa Benitez was for Real in 2015! What crime did the likes of Messi, ter Stegen commit to be playing under this asshole's call (other than not expressing their true feelings may be!)

Last edited:

xXKonan

I said it in the Roberto thread but if you want to persist in Messi in that false RW role then he needs to drop Roberto from the starting lineup.

Roberto has his uses but he's not a miracle worker and having him try to cover the right flank with spaghetti legs Rakitic is complete horseshit. He's not good at defending, he doesn't have the explosive pace as Alba and Semedo do to help get forward and back in time when needed.

Roberto for me can work well as a Right Mid and possibly as an RWB in a defensive 3 at the back formation. He cannot play as an RB in this system with Messi in the False RW role. Valverde is living under the assumption that Roberto is much better than he really is.

Can be Said for Rakitic, Valverde keeps thinking that if we do not have Rakitic on the field then everything falls apart despite the guy looking two steps behind like a zombie due to fatigue.

MTL_Barca

I don't even know why people are still so upset when games like this happen. We will see games like that as long as he is our coach, nothing will change. But he will still deliver ok results with occasional good games to keep the job.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
16 goals conceded in 12 rounds while playing most "conservative" football in decades. Worst Madrid (even by their standards) in ages and still in title race. Constant overplaying of veterans, no developing of young players.

Simply terrible.

khaled_a_d

I said it in the Roberto thread but if you want to persist in Messi in that false RW role then he needs to drop Roberto from the starting lineup.

Roberto has his uses but he's not a miracle worker and having him try to cover the right flank with spaghetti legs Rakitic is complete horseshit. He's not good at defending, he doesn't have the explosive pace as Alba and Semedo do to help get forward and back in time when needed.

This, I don't think it is coincidence that Roberto played his best year as RB last year when there was always someone in front of him, struggled again this year when we switched back to 433 with Messi RW then played his best part of the season when Messi was out.

The 'balanced' approach with the 4-4-2 hasn't entirely stopped the leakage. I think we had 4-5-1 ish shape at times at Rayo but they still cut us open like cheese.

Are we really playing 442? this screams Lucho's last year unsymmetrical 433.

Zidane82

Quique Setién wins supporters at Camp Nou.

• The technician dazzled with his approach and exhibition at the front of Betis.

• Players like Busquets and some directors praised the philosophy of the Betis trainer.

[SPORT via [MENTION=21238]barca[/MENTION]Times]

jairzinho

This, I don't think it is coincidence that Roberto played his best year as RB last year when there was always someone in front of him, struggled again this year when we switched back to 433 with Messi RW then played his best part of the season when Messi was out.

Are we really playing 442? this screams Lucho's last year unsymmetrical 433.

It's unsymmetrical and all over the place. We have used different shapes at times. With Messi injured, Rafinha came in and spent time together in a front 3 with Phil and Suarez or at times dropping deeper leaving Cou on the left and sightly higher up with Suarez. At Rayo without the ball, Suarez was alone up front with Cou and Rafinha dropping back to defend.

Regardless of the shape, there are fundamental issues with the way we defend individually in 1v1s and collectively as a group. That's why we've only had 5 clean sheets since the season started.

Last edited:

clemente

Just get the fuck out already, is this another case where we have to pay 80m to terminate his contract? what the fuck is he still doing here? I would rather not win anything and play actual football like Dortmund than to watch this pathetic garbage where our players barely cover 80% distance as much as our opponents, can't be bothered to pressure, nobody making opening runs, I can just keep going, there are just so many things wrong with how we paly its disgusting. Like how the fuck on the 2nd goal the referee ran to our penalty box before our whole midfield? It looked like an actual joke, can't watch this garbage no more.

Devils

I just can’t understand this guy.

He drills the team well for spurs, Sevilla, inter and real...but makes us look like donkeys against the likes of leganes, Rayo and betis.

I think he has overstayed his welcome. He’s absolutely clueless when it comes to squad management as tactics. When this guy first signed, most of us were expecting a manager with tactical ability, now we are leaking goals like a relegation side.

Roma 2.0 is just over the horizon and this guy won’t even get sacked before it happens.

xXKonan

Dr0DPZPW4AE7Ra2.jpg

Home of Barca Fans