Ernesto Valverde - V1

El Gato

Villarato!
It is not entirely the coaches fault. But his lack of courage and his approach to games is what the main reason behind it. And it has nothing to do with emotion. I did not say Roma were disgraceful. That the way we lost it was. Lot of people to blame for that match but biggest of all in Valverde.

Yeah probably. He's not a man-manager type, but then again he wasn't hired to do that. He was hired to make Barca more solid at the back and he did just that, whether the fans like it or not. Consider also that the guy was never in the 1/4-finals of a major tournament (did he get far in the Europa League? can't remember). Let him learn too. He won't get a 3rd chance. Patience. Besides there are hardly better alternatives on the horizon.

soul24rage

EV's style is more suited to a team like Atletico who can take hits while sitting back while we don't have the players for that. Our best form of defence is by having control and attacking. We might win the league because of our individual brilliance, but I don't see us winning the CL with him, even if some of our players are not what they were a few years back.

Icarium

Lifestealer
Yeah probably. He's not a man-manager type, but then again he wasn't hired to do that. He was hired to make Barca more solid at the back and he did just that, whether the fans like it or not. Consider also that the guy was never in the 1/4-finals of a major tournament (did he get far in the Europa League? can't remember). Let him learn too. He won't get a 3rd chance. Patience. Besides there are hardly better alternatives on the horizon.

What would Barca achieve by him learning though? It looks obvious he is not going to change the way he wants the team to play. The players are not suited to his style, barca always crumbles when they try to play defensively. One mistake is all it requires for opponent to score, no matter how good we are defensively. Barca didn't concede yet in league, going by stats our defense is amazing but seeing last match no one should say that. If Valladolid had better players they would have won yesterday, exactly what happened in Roma match. It is bound to fail, if he is not ready to change no point in giving chances. This is same problem United is facing now, Mou asking to them play conservatively and asking players to commit to the system.

His system is not even counter attacking football, just keeping the midfield control by lot of lateral passing and the positioning of midfielder suggest the same thing too. Spread them out, cut out all link up play. Shuffle between wings, busi passes to raki on far wide who gives it to messi, without any linkup play from other midfielder, it will go to other wing and rinse and repeat. All the chances coming are from individual brilliance, beating defenders one on one. It was so boring to watch yesterday match. The late kick off and the pitch made it even worse.

Last edited:

ini4ever

The big difference is that Lucho had Neymar and Suarez who was the best striker in the world at the time.

The truth is that under Lucho we relied on MSN brilliance all the time, now Neymar is gone and Suarez is almost finished. This is the main reason we play shit fooball and especially in Lucho's last season when we played away matches our midfield got completely overrun.

EV is being actually clever there, I mean he would play almost "finished" Suarez which seems most folks here agree on, all the time and never bench him and if he doesn't succeed or whatever terms you could throw out ( e.g not playing beautiful football ) he can blame on not having players' best form.

Well It's a joke and EV wouldn't do that ( though some fans and media would ) hence it's pointless to debate on this because that's not how things actually work out.

The main reason we cannot play offensive ( I don't call it boring because some may not care ) it's because EV cannot implement a proper system to let him do that, he lacks knowledge in that regard. I looked up at Squawka data for "Creating Chances" was wondering what's Barca score and here it is(last season league):
Barca 359
Real 498
City 472
Liverpool 458
Napoli 472

Yup that's a huge difference right there. Given the squad's huge potential to be able to play attacking football and EV can't deliver that shows he doesn't know how to do it.

El Gato

Villarato!
What would Barca achieve by him learning though? It looks obvious he is not going to change the way he wants the team to play. The players are not suited to his style, barca always crumbles when they try to play defensively.

Some are suited, some aren't. Again, it's not about tactics. It's about him getting what he needs out of the players who aren't fully behind him. Nothing more. Vidal for instance can help with that.

Stoichkov1

EV is being actually clever there, I mean he would play almost "finished" Suarez which seems most folks here agree on, all the time and never bench him and if he doesn't succeed or whatever terms you could throw out ( e.g not playing beautiful football ) he can blame on not having players' best form.

Well It's a joke and EV wouldn't do that ( though some fans and media would ) hence it's pointless to debate on this because that's not how things actually work out.

The main reason we cannot play offensive ( I don't call it boring because some may not care ) it's because EV cannot implement a proper system to let him do that, he lacks knowledge in that regard. I looked up at Squawka data for "Creating Chances" was wondering what's Barca score and here it is(last season league):
Barca 359
Real 498
City 472
Liverpool 458
Napoli 472

Yup that's a huge difference right there. Given the squad's huge potential to be able to play attacking football and EV can't deliver that shows he doesn't know how to do it.

Valverde doesn't bench Suarez because the alternative would be Munir.

These stats from squawka are meaningless. Much better stats that reflect the performances of the team are expected goals: https://understat.com/league/La_liga/2017

As you can see we had a xG of 90, only behind Real who were first with 91. Basically there was no difference but our defence was much better.

gasgas

These stats from squawka are meaningless. Much better stats that reflect the performances of the team are expected goals: https://understat.com/league/La_liga/2017

As you can see we had a xG of 90, only behind Real who were first with 91. Basically there was no difference but our defence was much better.

must it be a like for like replacement.
Why not replace suarez with Malcom.

In the treble season, Pedro played when we rested either Neymar or Suarez.
Why can't Malcom do the same since we are now copying luchos template

ini4ever

Paco was there last season but he didn't give him a chance, the alternative would be trying other tactics and eventually get a solution that's what you expect from a good manager you gotta adapt not stick to situation.
Regarding stats I'm not expert into it which ones are more reliable if you think its meaningless so be it, but another thing I didn't mention is mindset which cost him the Rome game.

Stoichkov1

must it be a like for like replacement.
Why not replace suarez with Malcom.

In the treble season, Pedro played when we rested either Neymar or Suarez.
Why can't Malcom do the same since we are now copying luchos template

Because Malcom isn't a striker?

Behrox

Vice President of FC Barcelona

I think he lost a Final to Atletico with Bilbao

Joan

Lost a 2007 UEFA Cup final to Sevilla on penalties.

With Espanyol. Forgot to mention.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans