Ernesto Valverde - V1

jamjamjam

i understand why some people are uneasy, this barca can feel odd to watch. objectively more solid defensively and arguably the best in europe in that regard currently, but can appear quite vulnerable too. i think a lot of it stems from the midfield not being able to exert the control we're used to seeing. at the start of the 2nd half v chelsea, when they went up a notch, the subs were geared towards shutting them down physically, not taking control into our own hands.

coutinho will help a lot, but the addition of a top quality CM for next season (with iniesta subbed in occasionally) would make this team formidable as hell.

M

MessiCam

https://youtu.be/oVQD0j9IHf0

Highlights, there certainly looked threatening. Since when are all long shots discarded?
Also, more prone to counters.
More prone to counters...

Why don’t you have a look at the Valencia (1-1), Celta (2-2), Celta (1-1) Copa, Alaves, Getafe, Eibar, Chelsea, Las Palmas games and see prone to counters.

Counters (regardless of formation) are just difficult to stop unless you park the bus.

henias

https://youtu.be/oVQD0j9IHf0

Highlights, there certainly looked threatening. Since when are all long shots discarded?
Also, more prone to counters.

Haha just more bullshit by you. "Since when long shots are discarded"? Who was the one who said Willian's long shots that hit the woodwork were simply nothing and no big deal?

Prone to counters? You act like no team has to deal with counters. Even we scored against defensive minded Juventus by counter attack. Go watch the highlights.

Chelsea has countered us many times as well. But certainly those were written off as "nothing" by u as always. So many defenders scrambled to make last ditch tackles, even Dembele had to rush back and put on a shift. Had umtiti and Pique not put on a display, we would have been looking at a different scoreline.

Busquets and Rakitic were simply too slow to pressure the midfielders and had to depend on Pique and Umtiti most of the time.

Neymessi

This formation debate is pointless. Dembele has to play and there is no 2 ways about it. You don't make a 100m+ signing and not play him. And with dembele only 4-3-3 is possible nothing else.

EV should play 4-3-3 all season now so the team gets used to it. We were outplayed by chelsea because we haven't played 4-3-3 much and the team didn't know what t do exactly.

Stoichkov1

This formation debate is pointless. Dembele has to play and there is no 2 ways about it. You don't make a 100m+ signing and not play him. And with dembele only 4-3-3 is possible nothing else.

EV should play 4-3-3 all season now so the team gets used to it. We were outplayed by chelsea because we haven't played 4-3-3 much and the team didn't know what t do exactly.

Yeah let's play 4-3-3 and concede 7 goals in 2 matches against top sides like last year, it should be fun.

Joan

Haha just more bullshit by you. "Since when long shots are discarded"? Who was the one who said Willian's long shots that hit the woodwork were simply nothing and no big deal?
I did. Cannot find the exact post but if I recall correctly, said that Willian's shots can't be considered real chances and that I didn't blame the coach much for it since Chelsea has huge diversity upfront.

All long shots certainly shouldn't be discarded as they come due to space not covered.

Anyway, would you say Chelsea was just spamming long shots at the Bridge?
Prone to counters? You act like no team has to deal with counters. Even we scored against defensive minded Juventus by counter attack. Go watch the highlights.

Chelsea has countered us many times as well. But certainly those were written off as "nothing" by u as always. So many defenders scrambled to make last ditch tackles, even Dembele had to rush back and put on a shift. Had umtiti and Pique not put on a display, we would have been looking at a different scoreline.

Busquets and Rakitic were simply too slow to pressure the midfielders and had to depend on Pique and Umtiti most of the time.

It's all true, not the best match from us defensively.

BUT, you claimed Juve was not threatening. It's simply not true.
That still is one of our best matches this season.

henias

I did. Cannot find the exact post but if I recall correctly, said that Willian's shots can't be considered real chances and that I didn't blame the coach much for it since Chelsea has huge diversity upfront.

All long shots certainly shouldn't be discarded as they come due to space not covered.

Anyway, would you say Chelsea was just spamming long shots at the Bridge?

It's all true, not the best match from us defensively.

BUT, you claimed Juve was not threatening. It's simply not true.
That still is one of our best matches this season.

Again, how is it a not a real chance when he came extremely close to scoring? The power and accuracy and the amount of space given for Willian to line up his shot is terrifying because of how deep we are playing.

I have already said Busquets and Raktic just doesnt fit the defensive role. They look very suspect and terribly slow and were caught out of positions many times. They take very long to press the attackers. Iniesta as well but he has less defensive duties. Dembele had to help Rakitic many times.

I dont mind if we become an Atletico. Problem is the players we have. Busquets, Iniesta, Rakitic they're all technically driven players and dont have the physique to defend. They control the midfield with their brains and feet, not their brawns. I feel it was already one of the best match defensively, because these players simply aren't naturally defensive. They can only do so much and it's not their strengths.

In such a setup, they are practically useless.

Umtiti and Pique simply cannot keep bailing Busquets and Rakitic or even Roberto out. Pique almost fouled Alonso in the box. I still feel their natural positions suit them the best.

We'll see.

Last edited:

serghei

Again, how is it a not a real chance when he came extremely close to scoring? The power and accuracy and the amount of space given for Willian to line up his shot is terrifying because of how deep we are playing.

I have already said Busquets and Raktic just doesnt fit the defensive role. They look very suspect and terribly slow and were caught out of positions many times. They take very long to press the attackers. Iniesta as well but he has less defensive duties. Dembele had to help Rakitic many times.

I dont mind if we become an Atletico. Problem is the players we have. Busquets, Iniesta, Rakitic they're all technically driven players and dont have the physique to defend. They control the midfield with their brains and feet, not their brawns. I feel it was already one of the best match defensively, because these players simply aren't naturally defensive. They can only do so much and it's not their strengths.

In such a setup, they are practically useless.

Umtiti and Pique simply cannot keep bailing Busquets and Rakitic or even Roberto out. Pique almost fouled Alonso in the box. I still feel their natural positions suit them the best.

We'll see.

It's mostly true. Some of the players we have do not fit this type of game. Where we sit back and absorb the pressure. But we'll see if they can up their game and be very good in this tactic, because this Mourinho-like approach is what Valverde wants.

M

MessiCam

Mourinho-like, becoming Atletico... Next you guys are going to claim, that were playing outright catenaccio, right?

It can’t be Catenaccio. We don’t play with a sweeper.

And it’s not Mourinho like. It’s very Bilbao like... Even when playing 4-3-3 Valverde uses Rakitic in a defensive manner.

Last edited:

Neymessi

We really shouldn't be so result driven. The fact that we won and reach quarters is not sufficient in itself. I have no qualms in admitting that chelsea were the better side overall for 180 mins. Now many will argue that this was EV's master plan and all but I couldn't disagree more. We were lucky once again and that was it. Had we lost the forum would be singing a completely different tune and with how we and chelsea performed we could have easily lost, the 4-1 aggregate is extremely misleading.

Let's not kid ourselves, we have a lot of faults. Chelsea who are in a bad domestic form managed to play so good against us. Normally I would have blamed EV but I can't this time because we played a new formation which we hadn't for months because of dembele.

I am not going to be optimistic at all like most are over here and it defnitely remains to be seen how good we are compared to the other european powerhouses. Had we drawn any team apart from sevilla or roma, even liverpool, it wouldn't have been that easy to reach the semis. The jury for EV is still out imo and all us cynics and 'pessimists' are very reasonable in thinking what we are thinking.

Home of Barca Fans