Robert Navarro

messi1995

You are right, JamDav! Still don't understand why they want to leave Barca, the same club that made and trusted them..feel kinda sad to be honest. Barca is the best place for a 16 years old la masia youngster and they should work hard and be patient. Maybe sometimes I feel like I understand why they are leaving because of lack of promotion for the youth players in the first team. I really do not understand why they are leaving but if they are not convinced that the sporting project is good enough, I will understand them. If it's because of the money, then well we have to let them go because no one are bigger than the club.

But ok maybe they are leaving to Man City because of money, but Arsenal is not that rich? Why would they waste their talent in Arsenal? Do they get paid well in fucking Arsenal??

Last edited:

khaled_a_d

You are right, JamDav! Still don't understand why they want to leave Barca, the same club that made and trusted them..feel kinda sad to be honest. Barca is the best place for a 16 years old la masia youngster and they should work hard and be patient. Maybe sometimes I feel like I understand why they are leaving because of lack of promotion for the youth players in the first team. I really do not understand why they are leaving but if they are not convinced that the sporting project is good enough, I will understand them. If it's because of the money, then well we have to let them go because no one are bigger than the club.

But ok maybe they are leaving to Man City because of money, but Arsenal is not that rich? Why would they waste their talent in Arsenal? Do they get paid well in fucking Arsenal??

Arsenal can afford to pay a talent from us a way bigger salary, while we can't do it for all our youth. If we do it we will be paying a lot of wages for our young kids.

If a 16 years old kid offered a contract that will maje him realively wealthy (by normal ppl standard) it is difficult to turn it down to "follow" his dream.

tacticvarium

There always have been rumors about kids leaving whenever they turn 16 because that's when they can make professional contract.
They may actually be leaving but it's still early to make any predictions.

JamDav1982

Money mainly. Prob getting offered 10K plus at 16 when cant get even a pro contract from Barca at that age.

Most 16 year olds wont make it and wouldnt be suprised if being fed line it sets them up for life one way or another even if dont.

The argument about sporting project doesnt tie up and part of reason less are making it to first team is some of them are leaving for money anyway.

Arsenal will offer big wages to them, live in London and probably more chance of getting through than other 'top' teams.

Last edited:

Messi983

No, we can't until they are old enough to sign professional contracts.

It's also wrong to give kids whatever money they want just to keep them.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
No, we can't until they are old enough to sign professional contracts.

It's also wrong to give kids whatever money they want just to keep them.

You either get on with the times or fall back like Ajax did. Sooner or later, the club will have to offer competitive money if they want to keep their best talents.

This sort of idealism leads to only one thing: Failure

With so much money pouring into football the club will have to offer more money to the youth players they deem special enough talents to keep.

messi1995

Brexit will keep English clubs away. Without them who will buy our talents? Bayern maybe the only, but better to stay at Barca then lool. Thanks to the English people for voting Yes to brexit!!!

khaled_a_d

You either get on with the times or fall back like Ajax did. Sooner or later, the club will have to offer competitive money if they want to keep their best talents.

With so much money pouring into football the club will have to offer more money to the youth players they deem special enough talents to keep.

We are one of the highest paying clubs in terms of wages, thing is we can't overspend on many "talents" who are 6-20
That isn't idealistic, we simply have too many talents (or clubs think we have too many talents) and clubs will come wanting to get a player every couple of years from us, they are overpaying for one but for us it will be half of each cantera team.
Though would love to see wage structure of our youth teams vs EPL youth teams.

messi1995

Ok some here says the fact: English clubs can give them more thab what Barca can. But what about teams like Dortmund and Monaco? Pretty sure they are not that rich. Players like Gomez and Mboula left to join them and sometimes I believe it's because of the sporting project. I mean this is not two english club that is paying for youth players.

And what about the era when Pique and Fabregas left for Man utd and Arsenal? English clubs were still rich then but yeah I thought money is more used now than then. Just curious.

Messi983

You can call it idealism if you want. I'm just against paying big money to 16-17 year old kids who have shown nothing to deserve that. Kids who prioritize money at that age also rarely make it at the big stage. Sure, we'll lose some talents but I would rather keep those who actually wants to succeed at Barça if they will reject (probably financially better) offers from other clubs than trying to keep someone who is not totally commited to the club by offering him more money. I'm not utopian to believe that any player, not even legends like Iniesta or Messi would play for Barça for free just because of their love for the club. But when it comes to unproven youngsters I think the club should have a limit to what they are prepared to pay them. If kids will accept those terms then ok, if not, good luck to them wherever they go. But how many La Masia talents that have left us early have really made great careers elsewhere? We got some of them back and Cesc was by far the most proven of them (and then he failed). Pique and Alba have both become worldclass players here but would they both develop the same way if they wouldn't return? Of the others, Icardi has made the most out of his career so far. We've chased Bellerin (thanks Wenger for not letting him go) but he's far from a WC player for me. And then, which of La Masia products that left us early is still playing in other top teams? I seriously can't remember anyone right now.

10 years ago I was upset when players like Gai Assulin and Iago Falque left but where are they today? In last 6-8 years I'm not following younger teams (besides Barça B) as much as I once did mostly because I don't have enough time but I also try to avoid hype and becoming emotionally attached to the kids that will most likely never be good enough to make it to the first team or will leave long before even having a chance to do that for different reasons. I don't hold anything against players like Mboula or Sergio Gomez who have decided to leave at a young age and still wish them the best unless they join Madrid or Asspanyol in the future but I don't lose my sleep if someone doesn't want to be here anymore. There are still more than enough players who wish to succeed at Barça and work hard even if they are less talented (or just less hyped) to make their dreams come true.

Prime examples for those type of players over the last 10 years are Pedro and Roberto. They were not the most talented or talked about players of their generations but were willing to wait for their opportunity and grab it with both hands when it came. None of them is a worldbeater but those are players we should expect to get out of La Masia. Useful squad players with potential starter here and there. We were spoiled with golden generation and shouldn't expect to produce new Busi, Xavi,... (I won't even talk about Messi who is unique and will never happen again) - worldclass players who will stay here for 10+ years (and even less to get two or more of them at the same time) every few years but maybe we'll be lucky to get someone who will be good enough to be a starter for at least a few years anytime soon but even if we won't get that player it won't be the end of the world.

I'm not against giving homegrown youngsters a chance and think first team doors should always be open for them (and I believe they are despite people complaining about Lucho and now EV not caring about La Masia) but players should be the ones to make final steps into the first team, grab their opportunity when they'll get one and never let it go.

khaled_a_d

And what about the era when Pique and Fabregas left for Man utd and Arsenal? English clubs were still rich then but yeah I thought money is more used now than then. Just curious.

They offered more money too at that time, more importantly it was a forward move for them for bigger clubs, we were mess and a team on decline while those two were the greatest non Italian clubs beside RM.
When Cesc moved it was election time, the club interim board wasn't authorized to make negotiations IIRC and he was argued to wait for elected president and rejected. Pique was more curious case as the club ended the season on a high note and he was 17 so club had a year to make offer, but board had more pressing things in cleaning the house back then and Laporta openly talked about the incident ,Pique was the last player that left under Laporta's era that made it in European football although EPL clubs was still able to take dozen of youth players from us at the age of 16 with more money and false promises of 1st team football. Pacheco and Merida comes to mind.

Ok some here says the fact: English clubs can give them more thab what Barca can. But what about teams like Dortmund and Monaco? Pretty sure they are not that rich. Players like Gomez and Mboula left to join them and sometimes I believe it's because of the sporting project. I mean this is not two english club that is paying for youth players.

As I said before it is about selections. a club can target 1 player to overpay, but for us with many clubs going after our kids it will be half dozen every year.
Also the other two has youth project that they can make case they have easier route to 1st team therefor easier route for stardom. Mboula will se Mpabbe and he will be like "I am brought to be the next Mpabbe" while Gomes has seen Dembele and young squad in BVB.
They will see this clubs as good starting point as better option from trying to start from the top in club like Barca

You can call it idealism if you want. I'm just against paying big money to 16-17 year old kids who have shown nothing to deserve that. Kids who prioritize money at that age also rarely make it at the big stage. Sure, we'll lose some talents but I would rather keep those who actually wants to succeed at Barça if they will reject (probably financially better) offers from other clubs than trying to keep someone who is not totally commited to the club by offering him more money.

Agree with overall statements but few notes:
Club sold Icardi, he didn't leave like the others, we didn't believe he will make it here and prefered the money and tbh it was the right decision. he is bad fit here in every sense of the word
Alba left because he didn't have the chance here, he had the most important part of his youth development in Valancia, where they trusted him more and then converted him to LB rather than winger. he wasn't a player the club wanted to keep that much. Those weren't players who we could persuaded by money, they were player who would have never made it if stayed here and we decided to let go.
Gai didn't leave, he stayed although had a tour in England to see other offers, played under Pep in B team, got injured and stalled and club refused to renew his contract when he was 19 so he moved to City He is example of the other side of the story, that turning easy money could mean you lose it all.

You can Busquets to Pedro and Roberto, although he was promoted at young age and had his father to help him make decisions but he had Crosas ahead of him at some point and they were same age

messi1995

Thank you,Khaled! I think I have understood more about it now. I Find it shame that they rather leave for a top club instead of work hard and try reach the first team. But nothing we can do, can we? Still want the board to find a solution for keeping them, but it will be hard when premie league clubs lure them with money.

Home of Barca Fans