Andre Onana

Havesaks

What a player! Man i love his profile; the acrobatic type with a long range due to his height and with a lot of power in the body due to strong muscles, really strong refleces as well. A lot more easy on the eye than ter Stegens handball goalkeeping and freezing moments. I do think ter Stegen is a nice fit for our team and certainly good enough to play for Barca, but his profile is a bit boring compared to Onanas. And Onana seems to have a higher ceiling. ter Stegens best assests are his determination to keep calm and stay focused and his footplay. He had a 4 month period where he was maybe the best goalkeeper in the world, but most of the time he is 6 th or 7 th best. But him taking somewhat responsebility on the pitch, beeing a fan favorit by the locals because he is humble and often seen in the city of barcelona and showing great respects for catalan culture and barca culture, he will be here for a long time and maybe even make it as a second captain someday. Its pretty much a joke that the joke Roberto has been named our 4th - off topic. Well point is, even tho Onana is la masia product to some extend and he clearly wants to play for us and has done good work with de ligt and de jong, he probably wont play here, sadly, because ter Stegen is already a good enough choice and after the motto "if it aint broke, dont fix it", and there is only a 3 year gab between those two.

Does someone know Ajax' plan for this guy, do they plan to sell him this summer?

Havesaks

He's a pretty reflex heavy GK. Those types rarely reach the top.
Kameni, Ochoa and Navas are some similar types.

Africa aren't exactly known for producing top goalkeepers, maybe Onana is an exception though.

Thats just not right, the best our second best goalkeeper in the world, de Gea, is even more "reflex heavy". And its also wrong, Onana isnt "reflex heavy", he actually has all physical tools a goal keeper needs; his only problem is his consistency and he gets gradually better. If he puts some mental work into his game, he can be one of the absolute best and most entertaining goalkeepers in the world.

Campos

What a player! Man i love his profile; the acrobatic type with a long range due to his height and with a lot of power in the body due to strong muscles, really strong refleces as well. A lot more easy on the eye than ter Stegens handball goalkeeping and freezing moments. I do think ter Stegen is a nice fit for our team and certainly good enough to play for Barca, but his profile is a bit boring compared to Onanas. And Onana seems to have a higher ceiling. ter Stegens best assests are his determination to keep calm and stay focused and his footplay. He had a 4 month period where he was maybe the best goalkeeper in the world, but most of the time he is 6 th or 7 th best. But him taking somewhat responsebility on the pitch, beeing a fan favorit by the locals because he is humble and often seen in the city of barcelona and showing great respects for catalan culture and barca culture, he will be here for a long time and maybe even make it as a second captain someday. Its pretty much a joke that the joke Roberto has been named our 4th - off topic. Well point is, even tho Onana is la masia product to some extend and he clearly wants to play for us and has done good work with de ligt and de jong, he probably wont play here, sadly, because ter Stegen is already a good enough choice and after the motto "if it aint broke, dont fix it", and there is only a 3 year gab between those two.

Does someone know Ajax' plan for this guy, do they plan to sell him this summer?

He was REALY bad at Jong Ajax (ajax reserve team).
But when Jasper left, they gave him a chance in the first team. And he surprised a lot of fans with his cat-like reflexes.

Sometimes he still makes dumb mistakes (for example the goal vs Benfica). But overall he's been really good.

He's grateful and thankful to play at Ajax. They gave him the chance and confidence (even when he was playing bad at Jong Ajax).
And now he has the potential to becoming one of the best keepers.

He's a really humble guy, i like his attitude.

Hes also great with the ball at his feet.
I think he will be the perfect replacement for Jasper. But then again, a talent like him should play every week.
I think a move to a second tier club like Roma, Tottenham, Sevilla or Dortmund would be perfect for his development. He's still young, so he can always go back to Barca when the time is ripe.

Last edited:

xXKonan

[tw]1100176425750089728[/tw]

Says we talked with Onana's representatives about a move if Cillessen departs. If we want to sign him he would at least cost 20 million euros or less.

God Serena

As much as I would love to have him back, you're right.

Would be a waste considering with his age and how much talent he has.

Never understood this mentality. I constantly hear the same things said about Cillisen. It's almost as if you people won't be happy until we have a bag of broken bones as our backup keeper.

FC433

^ why would you pay 20m for a player that is not going to play more than 10 games? It also would look good for our academy if Onana succeeded elsewhere.

He is too good and too young for us.

xXKonan

It still amazes me how his Cousin Fabrice Ondoa is now Cameroon's number 1 Goalkeeper with 42 Caps to his name yet his Club career as a whole hasn't been great at all. He's mostly been backup for most of his career at Barca B, Sevilla Atletico and Nasitc. He's currently playing at Belgium side KV Oostende.

Andre Onana on the other hand only has 8 caps to his name with Cameroon, yet he's Ajax's starting GK and has been making a name for himself and has a total of 158 Games played between Ajax and Jong Ajax. Just kinda interesting to point out I guess.

Campos

^ why would you pay 20m for a player that is not going to play more than 10 games? It also would look good for our academy if Onana succeeded elsewhere.

He is too good and too young for us.

According to de telegraaf, Ajax want 30-35 mil.
Arsenal and Tottenham are also interested.

It's hard to say no to barca. But if i was Onana, i wouldn't do it.
Go to a second tier club like Arsenal, Napoli, Sevilla, Dortmund et cetc. Play every week in a top competition. And you will have a bright future. Don't kill your career.
He has all the assets to become a Barca goalie. But not right now. Ter Stegen is just too good man lol.

He's too young, and too talented to sit on the bench every week.

Porque

It still amazes me how his Cousin Fabrice Ondoa is now Cameroon's number 1 Goalkeeper with 42 Caps to his name yet his Club career as a whole hasn't been great at all. He's mostly been backup for most of his career at Barca B, Sevilla Atletico and Nasitc. He's currently playing at Belgium side KV Oostende.

Andre Onana on the other hand only has 8 caps to his name with Cameroon, yet he's Ajax's starting GK and has been making a name for himself and has a total of 158 Games played between Ajax and Jong Ajax. Just kinda interesting to point out I guess.

It is funny really. Even when both at Barcelona youth teams Ondoa got the opportunities. It was a case of Ondoa looking a better goalkeeper but Oh'Nana being a better goalkeeper. For the national team Ondoa always performs so I guess he just stayed as starter.

Not sure how I feel about Onana coming back. It is great we get another top goalkeeper and it modern football it is important to have a strong number 2. But realistically he needs more than Copa minutes really which he won't get here as he is still developing.

I suppose the idea of having Onana back is more exciting than signing Koen Casteels who we are always linked with, but I feel it is the wrong point of Onana's career for this move.

khaled_a_d

It still amazes me how his Cousin Fabrice Ondoa is now Cameroon's number 1 Goalkeeper with 42 Caps to his name yet his Club career as a whole hasn't been great at all.

Ondoa has been nothing but brilliant and one of the top NT GK in the content in his time with Cameroon, he got the opportunity when he was ahead of Onana back in 2014 and he never let it go.
I doubt it will change soon because he proved to be well worth it, won African Cup of Nation with them too while playing brilliantly.
GK position has always showed that it doesn't easily change depending on club form, Neuer, Casillas are just examples of very long list

Ajax

Onana is a good keeper but Cilissen was better at Ajax. I kind of doubt he would be a good backup keeper. Cant imagine him being happy on the bench. It requires a certain mentality to be able to be a reliable backup. Sit on the bench 90 minutes for 10 games in a row and then be sharp when there is a red card or injury.

Ajax is only going to sell him for a major fee. They dont want to sell him but he has been at the club for 3 years so the club understands he is sort of 'due'.

35m sounds reasonable. I don't see barca buy him though. Guaranteed NOT playing, not easy to leave and the salary won't be higher than he would get at a smaller club as guaranteed starter

Home of Barca Fans