Who should be Barça's next coach after Lucho?

Who should be Barça's next coach after Lucho?

• Lucho should stay

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Unzue

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Eusebio

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Koeman

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Valverde

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Sampaoli

Votes: 112 72.3%
  • Other(who?)

Votes: 17 11.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barcilliant

I agree the CL exit was underwhelming. But i think when u examine Sampaoli's CV and what the work he did at Chile, you have to agree that the guy knows a thing or two about takin a team to the highest level. His tactical approach to the game is also fot me a big reason why i would like him to work with Barca. I think his methods would suit us and we have the players that are perfectly suited to his schemes. Technically gifted players that is. I really hope that the board doesnt screw this one up.

You can trust our board to screw it up!

Barcilliant

Unzue is being heavily promoted by the Catalan media. Alot will depend on if we win La Liga or Cl. If we do win either or both he will be the next coach.

Aryagorn

Improvin' Perfection!!
Tito Vilanova was a good manager imo, the results were bad mainly because of his health issues.

Messi983

What do you think about Valverde with Unzue as his assistant option that has been rumoured lately. For some reason I think it could be an interesting combination. We'd get someone with previous experience from the club but who would come from the outside and bring experience and hopefully some fresh ideas while we'd keep Unzue who already knows players so he could help Valverde a lot in that aspect.

But just don't think this is realistic. First, any coach would probably like to bring his own staff. Valverde and Unzue were teammates for two seasons so they know each other but they never worked together in their coaching career AFAIK. People change in almost 30 years and who knows how much they really know each other at this point. Is that level of trust/knowledge between them big enough for Valverde to get Unzue on his staff and possibly drop one of his current assistants who he has worked with recently?

And second, if Unzue really wants to make his own career as a head coach this is his best chance to make it at Barça. He might still be among candidates in the future if he's not choosen as our coach now/decline assistant role, leaves us in summer and maybe starts to make a good solo coaching career at smaller club (if that's what he wants) but I doubt he'll ever be a top 2 or most likely even the favourite for our bench again if he doesn't accept this job now. So I think in the end it all depends on Unzue. Does he wants to become the man in charge or is he willing to stay in his assistant role where there is less pressure on him?

Of course there are rumours that he'd accept to be our new coach if that position is offered to him and most people assume that's true but for now I still don't know what his true plans for the future are. Hopefully Unzue himself and people inside the club know that better. If Unzue is still undecided deep inside him what he wants at this point then he's not the right man for either job. I'm ok with him staying as assistant coach if he's more comfortable in that role but he has to tell that to Robert, Bartomeu and other people in club who will make a decision about new coach (if he hasn't already). We don't have time to wait until end of the season for Unzue to make up his mind and say what he wants.

BBZ8800

If Unzue will be our coach, we will be the first and the only top club in the last 20 years coached by a former goalkeeper.

Just sayin'

khaled_a_d

If Unzue will be our coach, we will be the first and the only top club in the last 20 years coached by a former goalkeeper.

Just sayin'

There is very few "top clubs" tbh and I am interested to know your criteria for such definition.
Valencia can be considered a top club for example,they were coached by former GK and he has transformed them into a very young talented team that reached the CL.
Zoff coached Lazio when they were still a top club too.
If you aren't considering those top clubs (which is justified) then you also face the fact that there is very few sample size of big clubs and GK is one position in football out of 11 and there is those who didn't play football so the chances of a GK being a coach is like 1/11 or 1/12.
Again,very small probability with very small sample size even for "just saying"

BarçaBarça

What do you think about Valverde with Unzue as his assistant option that has been rumoured lately. For some reason I think it could be an interesting combination. We'd get someone with previous experience from the club but who would come from the outside and bring experience and hopefully some fresh ideas while we'd keep Unzue who already knows players so he could help Valverde a lot in that aspect.

But just don't think this is realistic. First, any coach would probably like to bring his own staff. Valverde and Unzue were teammates for two seasons so they know each other but they never worked together in their coaching career AFAIK. People change in almost 30 years and who knows how much they really know each other at this point. Is that level of trust/knowledge between them big enough for Valverde to get Unzue on his staff and possibly drop one of his current assistants who he has worked with recently?

And second, if Unzue really wants to make his own career as a head coach this is his best chance to make it at Barça. He might still be among candidates in the future if he's not choosen as our coach now/decline assistant role, leaves us in summer and maybe starts to make a good solo coaching career at smaller club (if that's what he wants) but I doubt he'll ever be a top 2 or most likely even the favourite for our bench again if he doesn't accept this job now. So I think in the end it all depends on Unzue. Does he wants to become the man in charge or is he willing to stay in his assistant role where there is less pressure on him?

Of course there are rumours that he'd accept to be our new coach if that position is offered to him and most people assume that's true but for now I still don't know what his true plans for the future are. Hopefully Unzue himself and people inside the club know that better. If Unzue is still undecided deep inside him what he wants at this point then he's not the right man for either job. I'm ok with him staying as assistant coach if he's more comfortable in that role but he has to tell that to Robert, Bartomeu and other people in club who will make a decision about new coach (if he hasn't already). We don't have time to wait until end of the season for Unzue to make up his mind and say what he wants.

I think it would be better if Valverde brings his own team. Valverde-coach and Unzue-assistant is more of a media-idea, which would look good on a front-page.
We need new ideas, and Valverde is the 'safe-choice' anyway, so I don't think it is necessary to get an even more gradual transition by keeping Unzue. Also, the coaching-team right now is not known for its great emotional connection with the players, so it is not that much to lose anyway. A fresh start weighs more right now, imo.

One thing that is a bit overlooked in the coaching-debate is the need for low-profile/high-profile coaches in a club like Barca. I actually think a low-profile, that is one that isn't a bigger star than the players, fits quite well for us. Imo, it is not necessary with a charismatic highprofile coach to succeed - the team should be the focus, that could be a quite wise strategy after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home of Barca Fans