Nelson Semedo

JamDav1982

Wasnt the case in his debut. So I assume It has something to do with Valverde's directives.

No it isnt what he is instructed to do can see the way the team plays that Semedo is not providing enough going forward and can see Valverde has not been too happy with him.

Saladin

I think Semedo fits the bill perfectly, he just needs a couple of years on the bench to adapt to our philosophy and the city of Baerthze'låna (local pronounciation, guys) - When he hits 30 in 2024......... FUCKING FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sell him for 5 mil euro to Arsenal and buy him back in '25 for 90 mil pound sterling. Watch him shine harder than Theo CONCHA TU MADRE Hernandez!!!!

:bartomeu: :valverde: :mathieu: :vermaelen: :arda: :paulinho:

Barcilliant

This debate should not even exist. Thanks to Ev we have spent 35million on a rb who sometimes is not even in the squad. We've spent 105million on someone who is on the bench and 160million on a guy who should be played on the left but has been played out of position and left in the bench.

I think this is more an indictment of ev then Semedo.

I was waiting for the first moron who would say "Roberto is better than Semedo at RB". No thanks, this was debugged already and we all saw the hole in Chelsea constant attack from our right side, and no more of this stupid claim especially when Semedo not getting any chances to prove us he is not that good.

Give him 3-5 continuous games then the jury should speak.

I suppose you know better than the coach then? Roberto wa sisntienental in the 6-1 win over PSG. Semedo would have just missed, Ive watchedhim play and maybe he can defend better and is faster by Roberto offers more in attack and suits the system more.

gatsu

No it isnt what he is instructed to do can see the way the team plays that Semedo is not providing enough going forward and can see Valverde has not been too happy with him.

Seems like we won't agree on the matter, Semedo first 3, 4 matchs were more than satisfactory in terms of offonsive play. I still can't explain why he sudenly become more reserved regarding that department and I'm absoulutely confident that Valverde instructions have something to do with it.
As for Roberto I'll say it again, there is a big difference between being good offensively and going forward for the sake of it, as an RB Roberto prodives no added value, which is largely proved by a right side still not functioning. Potential wise it is more than clear that more investment should go toward Semedo and it's not by benching him or excluding him that he will devlop chemistry with the team members.

Raki13

Roberto has done absolutely nothing attacking wise almost every time he plays in defence and has been terrible in plenty of them but still manages to start most games.

Its Semedos natural position and this week onwards he should be playing there for the next few games.

behindbrowneyes

This debate should not even exist. Thanks to Ev we have spent 35million on a rb who sometimes is not even in the squad. We've spent 105million on someone who is on the bench and 160million on a guy who should be played on the left but has been played out of position and left in the bench.

I think this is more an indictment of ev then Semedo.

Do you think it is easy to incorporate two "new" players into the team while the calendar is busy and you rarely have time for game preparation?

I'm not of the same opinion of Valverde regarding Semedo, but it is hard to criticize him for trying Coutinho on various positions or benching him because our CL starters need to be well-practiced. Normally you do these things in pre-season but neither Cou nor Dembélé had one with the team.

There is a reason why big teams rarely make a move in the winter transfer market.

clemente

Hope that it was an order from Barto to play Roberto until he signs his contract, now that its done I hope Semedo is our starter. If I see Semedo not starting this saturday I'll flip my shit.

M

MessiCam

So you want to experiment and play him always and probably to drop points? Messi has to point where to run to him lol. Roberto worked hard to make at barca, people want to play semedo over hard working former barca youth player, it is crazy.

Messi points at where he should be and gets visibly frustrated with Rakitic too. But Rakitic plays every game...

That said, Semedo should be given more chances to see where he is at but Roberto is putting him in the shade. Mainly due to his ability to play in midfield...

People seem to forget that Alves was an equally good midfielder as right back.

I suppose you know better than the coach then? Roberto wa sisntienental in the 6-1 win over PSG. Semedo would have just missed, Ive watchedhim play and maybe he can defend better and is faster by Roberto offers more in attack and suits the system more.

Roberto didn't play as a right back in the 6-1 remontada. He came on as a sub in midfield. Barça played with a 3 man defence in that game...

henias

Do you think it is easy to incorporate two "new" players into the team while the calendar is busy and you rarely have time for game preparation?

I'm not of the same opinion of Valverde regarding Semedo, but it is hard to criticize him for trying Coutinho on various positions or benching him because our CL starters need to be well-practiced. Normally you do these things in pre-season but neither Cou nor Dembélé had one with the team.

There is a reason why big teams rarely make a move in the winter transfer market.

Plenty of games like Deportivo where we won by a large margin are clear cut games to play them, similar to the Eibar game where Semedo only got 3 mins. Coutinho is a relatively new player, fair enough, still already had plenty of starter appearances before Eibar but Semedo? Even players like Vidal or Gomes gets plenty even playing like shit week in week out.

Right now, it is clear that EV is being a little too guarded and too critical of young players. We are in need fresh blood, no matter how critical EV thinks of them, and could come useful when we run out of options in the CL. We do have a league cushion and I think we must use that to our advantage and still have to remember we still have to last till the end of the season. Don't forget we still have to face Atletico and a re-energised Madrid again. Also, 2nd half of the season will be even tougher if we manage to reach UCL quarters or semis and we will definitely need an experienced bench and a fully fit starting 11. Have to shake things up and start strengthening the sqaud more.

Right now, Dembele is fully fit and Coutinho has already shown some improvements. Coutinho should be more of an Iniesta replacement since we aint using him in the CL. And we have to integrate Dembele more and develop of attacking side more. Give Semedo chance while resting Roberto, both can be great options to our lacklustre right side.

BBZ8800

Everyone was raving about Samedo after just a few games .... best buy of the decade was one comment at the time .

What did he do wrong exactly ?

Halilovic was the next Messi after 45 minutes played here.
Roberto was our Alaba and the best RB in the world after first 2 matches as a RB.
Dembele is by far the best young player in the world.
Semedo was the best RB in the world after first 2 matches here.

Don't take those comments seriously.
People have the need to put these superlatives and as if all of our players are the best in something.

Kevin De Bruyne and Salah, even Lukaku were deemed expendable by Mourinho.

Not saying Semedo is like that, but sometimes some coaches simply aren't capable of getting something out of certain players and that's not because of the players in question, but because of the manager.

Some people take it for granted that the coach always knows the best, no, it's never been like that.

Coaches make mistakes sometimes, of course.
But in a large majority of cases, if a player doesn't play, there is a strong reason behind it.

Statistically, if a player doesn't play under a coach, there is a way higher chance that he is the next Bartra or Deulofeu than that he is the next hidden gem like De Bruyne.

Why even buy him if weren't ever going to give him a proper look and play a midfielder in his place?

Reminder for a future:
= each Barca's signing ever has a way higher chances to disappoint than to make it here

We were spoilt by Rijkaard's and Pep's era where majority of signings were a good fit.
In general, that was against the odds and that happens very rarely.

Era like Arda, Gomes, Denis, Paco, Deulo, Semedo and similar and where you get some gems like Mats and Umtiti is a normal success rate for majority of top clubs.

About Semedo, he started to play football at the age of 15-16, so he will always lack lots of things which "normal" footballers posses.
Also, he had only 1 good senior year in his career.

This guy was a bigger gamble than Henrique and similar.
As others said, he got 25 matches till now and EV (and Messi, lol) sees him everyday at training grounds.

Majority of you don't want to believe in negative rumors, but in September there were reports that Messi and some key players were not happy with "a quality" of our latest RB signing, Semedo.
When you add to this rumor how lost Semedo is in attacking, how Messi doesn't want to pass to him, how EV started to neglect him, then something is "suspicious" in this story.

When you sum it all, maybe EV is dumb.
But way more likely, Semedo hasn't reached the expectations and EV "gave up" from him.
Gave up in terms that Roberto is a starter now and Semedo is a backup RB, unless he improves a lot.. or until he gets sold.

I personally don't have anything against Semedo.
But except his 50M fee and Youtube videos, he hasn't shown absolutely nothing in attack.
As some users asked a few weeks ago: what exactly is the difference between Semedo and Digne?
There is no difference.
Ok in defense, invisible in attack.
Semedo for now seems like an overpriced (and overhyped) version of Digne.

When Vidal was on fire last season, before an injury, he offered way more in attack than Semedo offered this season btw.
Ok, Vidal sucked in defense, though.
But he was awesome in attack for a few weeks then.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans