Nelson Semedo

Jägermeister

Patience people. Some of you are too trigger happy. Want to throw out every player after half a season, or call someone a flop after three games.

Players adapt and come out of their shell at different paces. Abidal, Mascherano by his own admission, Neymar took a year to get used to the pace too...
Agreed. I also do believe, that most of the flaws in his game, like linking up or hesitating going forward, are mainly due to the lack of consistent playing time. He would certainly look a lot better, if he were to play more.

Calidad

He’s potentially one of the best in his position in the world. He has everything in his locker, other than confidence and synergy with the team, which is understandable when he’s new to the team, and Valverde is playing him irregularly or hauling him off at HT.

Roberto is excellent and I believe he should be a first choice in the side too, but as a CM, not a RB. Valverde, as well as previous managers seem to want to play him everywhere other than in his natural position, despite excelling there when he gets the rare opportunity to.

———————————————Ter Stegen
Semedo(Roberto)———-Pique(Mina)——Umtiti(Verm)———-Alba(Digne)
—————————————-—Busquets
————————Roberto————————--Iniesta/Coutinho
Dembele———————Messi————Suarez

Rakitic, Paulino, Alena, Arnaiz, Paco should be rotation options for the midfield and forward positions.

I’d get rid of three of 4 of Gomes, D Suarez, Vidal, Deulofeu.

Roberto can sit alongside Busquets when needed, or can bomb forward when needed. He’s perfectly capable of doing both.

It’s a balanced lineup. Why won’t Valverde try it?

Neeraj

I'd give him some more time, because he has shown flashes of being a good player. He's definitely not at the level required right now, but I don't think he did any worse than Digne; however he comes under the spotlight a bit more because he's expected to be the started on that side.

I would wait and see till the end of the season to see if we need to move in the summer.

Potroh

paco and roberto probably have half the talent but ended up being more efficient yesterday.

Great observation, specially regarding Paco.
He literally touched the ball TWICE, both unimportant back-passes... very efficient...

Danic

Funny how people are complaining about his offensive play but not saying a word on how well ge defends. Loses almost no 1v1. The situation yesterday when he changes the direction when running backwards vs 2 players from alaves was just great. Made the crosspass difficult for them.
People here seem to rate rate a rb only for his offensive play. He needs ro improve on this part but dont be so negative him. I didnt see a really bad game from him yet and i watch every barca match...

JamDav1982

Funny how people are complaining about his offensive play but not saying a word on how well ge defends. Loses almost no 1v1. The situation yesterday when he changes the direction when running backwards vs 2 players from alaves was just great. Made the crosspass difficult for them.
People here seem to rate rate a rb only for his offensive play. He needs ro improve on this part but dont be so negative him. I didnt see a really bad game from him yet and i watch every barca match...

He tracks back well when can use his pace and that has been mentioned plenty of times.

His positioning can be shit though.

BBZ8800

He’s potentially one of the best in his position in the world. He has everything in his locker, other than confidence and synergy with the team, which is understandable when he’s new to the team, and Valverde is playing him irregularly or hauling him off at HT.

Roberto is excellent and I believe he should be a first choice in the side too, but as a CM, not a RB. Valverde, as well as previous managers seem to want to play him everywhere other than in his natural position, despite excelling there when he gets the rare opportunity to.

———————————————Ter Stegen
Semedo(Roberto)———-Pique(Mina)——Umtiti(Verm)———-Alba(Digne)
—————————————-—Busquets
————————Roberto————————--Iniesta/Coutinho
Dembele———————Messi————Suarez

Rakitic, Paulino, Alena, Arnaiz, Paco should be rotation options for the midfield and forward positions.

I’d get rid of three of 4 of Gomes, D Suarez, Vidal, Deulofeu.

Roberto can sit alongside Busquets when needed, or can bomb forward when needed. He’s perfectly capable of doing both.

It’s a balanced lineup. Why won’t Valverde try it?

Because:
1. Semedo is questionable in defense
2. Roberto will bomb forward and leave holes behind him for slow Busi who is alone in midfield, since you have attacking Roberto and weak Semedo on that side (not to mention Dembele who can't defend)
3. Iniesta/Coutinho are weaker defenders than Rakitic, Paulinho, even Gomes
4. Dembele can't defend
5. Messi doesn't want to defend
6. Luis is an attacker

Since Mats is a GK, we would basically have 4 players (and Roberto) and in this lineup who can defend.
And do you know what would happen?
= classical Lucho's 433 Barca with not too much defending, too many egos on the field, without strong (4 men) midfield and with weak defense.
Against Chelsea, Psg, Juve, Atletico we would face probably 20 deadly counters per match and we would look like 13 years old kids in midfield.

What you posted is not the most balanced lineup.
But actually the most "shiniest" lineup where:
1. Semedo plays as a RB because he is shiny and attractive on paper
2. Roberto plays as a CM because he can make attacking solo runs from time to time. He is more "attractive" in attack than Rakitic/Paulinho/Gomes
3. Iniesta/Coutinho are here
4. dribbler Dembele is here
5. Messi is here
6. Luis is here

The only worse (or less balanced) lineup than this one would be a lineup with Coutinho-Iniesta-Messi-Luis-Dembele together on a field.
That would be an ultimate disaster in terms of allround team's balance.

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

This. That move was class in terms of awareness and anticipation. He does need to improve defensively and offensively but for me his ceiling is much much higher than Roberto on Defense and stands to be a good player going forward as well. His run in box behind defense where Coutinho got to him was smart. He is a very solid player.

Sultan

Nosce te ipsum
Did you guys notice in the last match there was a moment when Messi received the ball on the right wing, Nelson was standing to his left watching and Messi actually pointed to his right to show him he should make a run?

You would assume that is something he should already be familiar with. #Strange! indeed.

Home of Barca Fans