Nelson Semedo

Messi983

He is most probably instructed to keep it conservative on right side because Messi rarely tracks back.

Could be and I have no problems with having a bit more defensive minded RB with extremely offensive Alba on the other side but we are just too predictable when most our attacks go through the middle or down the left. I know Semedo is no Alves and he can't create chances by himself so he should have more support. He is often isolated when playing as RB (but so is Roberto and he usually still did a lot more offensively because he's a midfielder) with no RW ahead of him but even when Semedo and Dembele (or another true winger like Malcom or Perez) played on the right Semedo wasn't as dangerous as yesterday. Could be just one good game and we probably won't see him on the left anytime soon with Alba and probably Firpo also back after NT break but I'd like to see Sembele combination on the right more times as well before Dembele gets injured again.

Lapi

He was good and he's playing better because he is playing more.
I vividly remember last year when many just didn't understand why talented players need to play in order to get some confidence.

It's simply not possible to play every 3rd or 4th game and have confidence like a tiger.

Vilarrubi

I vividly remember last year when many just didn't understand why talented players need to play in order to get some confidence.

It's simply not possible to play every 3rd or 4th game and have confidence like a tiger.

Exactly, he's got 2 assists in 11 games this season so far. Not crazy numbers but he didn't have one in any competition last season.. not surprising with him in and out of the team for Roberto.

Messi983

Sure, but then why people didn't say the same about Andre Gomes for example?

I know it's hard to impress if you're only playing 15-20 minutes so I've gone through Semedo's stats and looked for the games where he has played at least 60 minutes:

2017/18: 25 games: (7 x CL, 14x La Liga - with another two games where he was subbed off after 59 minutes, 4x Copa) - 2.494 total minutes, he had just 1 assist that season
2018/19: 27 games (5x CL, 14 x La Liga - with another game where he was subbed off after 59 minutes, 7 x Copa, 1x Supercopa) - 2.886 total minutes, he had a goal an 3 assists (2 in La Liga and 1 in CDR)

Compared to Roberto (just the games he's played at RB):

2017/18: 28 games (3x CL, 20 x La Liga, 5 x Copa) - 3.439 total minutes (in all positions), 6 assists from RB position, all in La Liga
2018/19: 33 games (8x CL, 21 x La Liga, 4x Copa) - 3.215 total minutes (in all positions), 7 assists from RB position, all in La Liga, also scored a goal in Copa against Sevilla

So while Roberto did play more as a RB (and he understandably also played more regularly because of his versatility) the difference is not all that big and he provided a lot more offensively to the team. Lack of offensive contribution was my biggest concern with Semedo. I don't "hate" him as he's still pretty good in defense but I've pointed out several times I think neither of them has shown enough to deserve being a full time starter so rotations at the RB position over the last two seasons were ok imo. EV should've probably start Semedo over Roberto in certain games but that's in the past. Now that Semedo is penciled in as our starter at RB I hope he'll continue to improve offensively because he'll need to do that if he wants to stay a longterm starter. And because I have team's best interest in my mind I hope he'll do that so we won't need to look for a new RB (I'd still like to bring back Emerson as his competition though) because we have other needs we'll need to address next summer.

I'v mentioned Gomes above so I've also looked at his games with us where he played more than 60 minutes:

2016/17: 26 games (4x CL, 16 x La Liga, 5 x Copa, 1 x Supercopa), 2.652 total minutes, 3 goals and 2 assists
2017/18: 11 games 1x CL, 6x La Liga, 3x Copa, 1x Supercopa), 1.185 total minutes, 1 assist in Copa

I know it's almost impossible to compare players at different positions (though Gomes did play some games as a RB but he was used all over the midfield by both coaches so there was no consistency for him there either) and we also had Lucho as a coach in his first season but yet somehow Gomes did get more than enough opportunities, he was mentally weak,... (which I don't disagree with) while Semedo's confidence was ruined by Valverde for not playing regularly (which I absolutely disagree with). Gomes is just a few months older than Semedo and they are/were both pretty matured players already at 23-24 so age shouldn't be a factor either but one was hated by 99% people here and the other one had some doubters but still a lot of supporters. Just usual double standards by BF.

Calidad

I know it's hard to impress if you're only playing 15-20 minutes so I've gone through Semedo's stats and looked for the games where he has played at least 60 minutes:

2017/18: 25 games: (7 x CL, 14x La Liga - with another two games where he was subbed off after 59 minutes, 4x Copa) - 2.494 total minutes, he had just 1 assist that season
2018/19: 27 games (5x CL, 14 x La Liga - with another game where he was subbed off after 59 minutes, 7 x Copa, 1x Supercopa) - 2.886 total minutes, he had a goal an 3 assists (2 in La Liga and 1 in CDR)

2017/18: 28 games (3x CL, 20 x La Liga, 5 x Copa) - 3.439 total minutes (in all positions), 6 assists from RB position, all in La Liga
2018/19: 33 games (8x CL, 21 x La Liga, 4x Copa) - 3.215 total minutes (in all positions), 7 assists from RB position, all in La Liga, also scored a goal in Copa against Sevilla

So while Roberto did play more as a RB (and he understandably also played more regularly because of his versatility) the difference is not all that big and he provided a lot more offensively to the team. Lack of offensive contribution was my biggest concern with Semedo. I don't "hate" him as he's still pretty good in defense but I've pointed out several times I think neither of them has shown enough to deserve being a full time starter so rotations at the RB position over the last two seasons were ok imo. EV should've probably start Semedo over Roberto in certain games but that's in the past. Now that Semedo is penciled in as our starter at RB I hope he'll continue to improve offensively because he'll need to do that if he wants to stay a longterm starter. And because I have team's best interest in my mind I hope he'll do that so we won't need to look for a new RB (I'd still like to bring back Emerson as his competition though) because we have other needs we'll need to address next summer.

I'v mentioned Gomes above so I've also looked at his games with us where he played more than 60 minutes:

2016/17: 26 games (4x CL, 16 x La Liga, 5 x Copa, 1 x Supercopa), 2.652 total minutes, 3 goals and 2 assists
2017/18: 11 games 1x CL, 6x La Liga, 3x Copa, 1x Supercopa), 1.185 total minutes, 1 assist in Copa

I know it's almost impossible to compare players at different positions (though Gomes did play some games as a RB but he was used all over the midfield by both coaches so there was no consistency for him there either) and we also had Lucho as a coach in his first season but yet somehow Gomes did get more than enough opportunities, he was mentally weak,... (which I don't disagree with) while Semedo's confidence was ruined by Valverde for not playing regularly (which I absolutely disagree with). Gomes is just a few months older than Semedo and they are/were both pretty matured players already at 23-24 so age shouldn't be a factor either but one was hated by 99% people here and the other one had some doubters but still a lot of supporters. Just usual double standards by BF.

Because it was quite clear Gomes didn’t and doesn’t have a particularly high ceiling. That’s been shown at Everton too. He’s too slow, cumbersome, and lacks the all round traits for a top level midfielder. He also got a fair bit of continuity at Barca but never really showed anything.

Semedo has all the tools necessary to be a top modern FB. He’s fast, athletic and good technically. He was known for his attacking ability at Benfica, but looked to be playing within his shell following his move. Little surprise that you don’t play with confidence when you are the one hooked at half time despite all the team looking sterile, and a “good” performance is often followed by a place on the bench for the next 2 games.

Defenders above all need continuity and he didn’t get it. Many seemed to realise that appeared to be the issue for him, others didn’t.

He isn’t Dani Alves, but then who is? What he is, is a good solid, all round FB who can still get better. Kimmich aside who doesn’t always play that position now anyway, there isn’t really any RB who is an obvious upgrade on him currently.

henias

:lol:

Then why are you always defending the likes of Paulinho and Gomes, and even lord Prince Boateng who completely flopped while shitting on every other young player. You are clearly extremely biased as well and have no position to talk about double standards.

People are not comparing their stats but rather, recognising their higher ceiling for improvement compared to these guys, that's why would like them to be given more chances, before writing them off. Roberto is definitely is better at linkup play, but attributes like pace and tracking back is not taken into consideration.

Plainly looking at limited stats will not develop any players in the long run or improve the dynamics of the team.

Home of Barca Fans