Nelson Semedo

hamoon32

I prefer Roberto to him. He has great pace and makes good runs but he's predictable, lacks creativity and doesn't link-up well. Basically full-back Delofeou.

Last edited:

Zidane82

I found his performance underwhelming. I continue to see him as an accident waiting to happen defensively compared to Roberto and lacking in interchange. I see the latent, but for now Barca is a more coherent, stable and better overall team with Roberto at RB.

What !
Roberto should never play RB again ... I was shocked to see him there earlier on .

He's continually caught out of position/ day dreaming / ball watching .
I'd prefer he played him at CF and give Suarez something to think about .

Joking .... a bit .

BBZ8800

I don't believe that he will ever be more than a rotational Rb at Barca or any big club.

#TeamRoberto in this battle

Pepe Silvia

I prefer the defensive shape with Semedo in there, prefer the offensive shape with Roberto by a hair. Semedo is improving on offense though, and has contributed a lot in pre-season in that respect. Even his staunchest critiques have to concede that.

Joan

I think his linkup game is fine. Nothing out of this world good but fine. Can improve with time spent there.

He's offering us runs Roberto isn't. However, he's seriously lacking end product. Unless he improves it MASSIVELY, Roberto's gonna start for us.

jairzinho

Roberto is very good at many things but necessarily great at anything. He’s no rookie. He’s been in the team a long time, has had years to adapt which has allowed to establish himself as a ‘safe option’ at RB. He’s hit his plateau a long time ago. Semedo on the other hand has shown especially in pre season that he’s on the path to being a great RB for us. Of course there are parts of his game that will continue to improve especially in the final third. He should be a starter this season, especially with Dembele on the right wing, those two can combine really good for us.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Roberto is very good at many things but necessarily great at anything. He’s no rookie. He’s been in the team a long time, has had years to adapt which has allowed to establish himself as a ‘safe option’ at RB. He’s hit his plateau a long time ago. Semedo on the other hand has shown especially in pre season that he’s on the path to being a great RB for us. Of course there are parts of his game that will continue to improve especially in the final third. He should be a starter this season, especially with Dembele on the right wing, those two can combine really good for us.

I personally have a feeling that Semedo is totally out of sync with a team.
I know that it is hard to learn Barca's game.

With Roberto, in numbers, I have a feeling that he will be involved in a build up 30 times.
With Semedo, I have a feeling that he is sleeping and not involved in 9 out of 10 actions.
Then in the 10th action, he will make a crazy run and eventually ruin a final pass.
Then he will again mostly "watch" the game for 10 minutes.

So, Roberto is involved for 90 minutes in a row in every attacking action.
While Semedo has an on and off switch in his head.

In those rare moments when Semedo tries to do something, he is more dangerous than Roberto.
But over 90 minutes, Roberto is way more consistent in movement and build up.

This is why with Semedo I often feel as if we play with 10 players.

With Roberto, it is evident that he understands our tactics, movement and mechanisms and that he has a nice IQ.
Semedo is faster, technically more talented, but with a low confidence, of a lower IQ and he doesn't understand our system.

I am not sure whether he will ever fully understand our system.
Even then, he will need to fix his confidence and IQ/decisions in the final third.

So, he is quite far behind Roberto in the pecking order imo.

BarcaJack

IMO I want my RB to make more forward runs and do some real damage in the offensive game. I don't care that much about the build-up, ball circulation etc. Sometimes I even believe that back pass from RB is the worst pass since it doesn't create anything, it gives your opponent time to regroup, and one mistake can lead to a fatal counterattack (RB is mostly out of position in that case). As long as the moment my RB knows he cannot do anything he will safely return the ball instead of being a ball hog, it's ok for me.

Home of Barca Fans