Nelson Semedo

Porque

Me: "Ah great move Semedo is having a great game, he must be bringing on Malcom to double down on that side"

Valverde: :valverde: :valverde: :valverde: :valverde: :valverde:

BBZ8800

That substitution after being the best player on the pitch...

Prime Valverde.
:valverde:

He was good, but for me, in attack, he is disconnected from anyone.
NOT because there is nobody on his side.
But because:
1. The opponents don't know what Semedo will do
2. Our players don't know what Semedo will do
3. Semedo doesn't know what he will do

With Roberto and his attacking movement and passing, there is at least some logic and predictability.

YodaMaster

He was good, but for me, in attack, he is disconnected from anyone.
NOT because there is nobody on his side.
But because:
1. The opponents don't know what Semedo will do
2. Our players don't know what Semedo will do
3. Semedo doesn't know what he will do

With Roberto and his attacking movement and passing, there is at least some logic and predictability.

Roberto didn't do shit offensively or defensively, I forgot the guy was even on the pitch.

serghei

We lack a fast player on his side. His runs are mostly solo because there is no one to connect to during the time they happen. Which is why it makes a great difference when Dembele is ahead of him.

And why Roberto is substituted in his place. In the type of slow positional we do under Valverde, Semedo's speed is out of sync with the slow tempo of everybody else. Only Dembele can keep up with it.

Semedo's attacking weapons are all related to his speed. If you can't exploit that, he doesn't have anything to bring to the table. A lot of time when he accelerates he has to dwell on the ball for others to become active. Since his ball control in tight areas is half as good as the one when in speed, he ends up losing the ball one way or the other. He basically drives himself into traffic or crosses to no one since no one attacks the box that fast, especially not Papa Bear Suarez, who turns as swiftly as a 10 tonne truck.

He'd do awesome at teams like Liverpool, Dortmund, Tottenham etc, built around fast players who work their asses off attacking spaces.

Last edited:

Havesaks

Lately his attacking has been way better. It has always been good movements from him, the talent has always been there, but it seemed often out of touch with movements of other players. I mostly explain this through Messi role as a hybrid and Rakitic mostly beeing defensive CM, so with no support he couldnt do anything. Reason Roberto has been better in this system, is because he is more technical and better in less space, so he can go trough the middle where we are crowded, while Semedo also is technical but is best card is his speed, so he is best when he can run down the sidelines. Thats also why he was brilliant with dembele on the RW; he had a buddy who both in place on pitch and speed could "help" him.

Havesaks

Lately his attacking has been way better. It has always been good movements from him, the talent has always been there, but it seemed often out of touch with movements of other players. I mostly explain this through Messi role as a hybrid and Rakitic mostly beeing defensive CM, so with no support he couldnt do anything. Reason Roberto has been better in this system, is because he is more technical and better in less space, so he can go trough the middle where we are crowded, while Semedo also is technical but is best card is his speed, so he is best when he can run down the sidelines. Thats also why he was brilliant with dembele on the RW; he had a buddy who both in place on pitch and speed could "help" him.

Lately his movements, as said, have been more mature and clever, and in touch with his teammates.

Pepe Silvia

I would hate the substitution out of the game if it weren't for the fact that I know we count on Semedo now and so do the fans. He was superb.

BBZ8800

Yeah Roberto in attack is predictable......y average.

Except that notion is completely crushed by the fact that Nelsinho and Dempele terrorise opponents when played together.

Semedo: 71 matches for Barca, 0 assists.
Roberto, who plays on the same side as Semedo, a side from which it is "impossible" to make an assist: in the last 2 seasons: 13 assists.

13 vs 0.
A pure coincidence.

This season:
La Liga:
Roberto: 1 key pass per match
Semedo: 0,2 key passes per match
A coincidence.

Barcaforum verdict:
Semedo and Roberto are equal in attacking terms.
And EV often preferring Robrto is just "EV being EV" and one of his classical dumb moves.

For me, Semedo is an ok player.
In defending phase, I like him more than Roberto.

In attack though, he is totally lost and disconnected from a team. NOT because no one is on his side.
Out of 25 players in our rooster, it seems that he developed some chemistry only with Dembele, but that is a problem because:
1. Dembele is often injured
2. or playing on the other side of a pitch
3. or is quite often also quite disconnected from a team

Roberto understands our game and movement and with him on a field, in attack, we usually have an extra midfielder or an extra player.
Especially against parked buses.
Semedo's only use is: counters and crazy solo actions.
When we play against a parked bus, Semedo is most often less creative and helpful in attack than Rakitic-Paulinho-Gomes trio in terms of creation.

Home of Barca Fans