Nelson Semedo

Xaviniesta

Just found this video of a bunch of Portuguese fans throwing chairs at Semedo because he gestured the "keep talking" sign
[youtube]gGI0459pxxw[/youtube]

JamDav1982

He's played in the midfield this season. Don't see a long-term future for him in the midfield, but EV still played him there. It is relevant since Gomes was put in out there in our most important game so far ahead of someone who's actually been decent.

Gomes was better than usual against Atletico. He might be more physical, but usually ends up losing most of his duels and losing the ball based on last season. Could have easily played Paulinho if he wanted the physical factor. He actually makes use of it and is a threat in the box.

Gomes was one of most physical players v Atletico and if that is why Valverde picked him it worked.

Last season is irrelevant to that game and how it turned out and regardless he hasnt been picking Gomes ahead of Denis this season.

khaled_a_d

He's played in the midfield this season. Don't see a long-term future for him in the midfield, but EV still played him there. It is relevant since Gomes was put in out there in our most important game so far ahead of someone who's actually been decent.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the only time Denis played in midfield was against Getafe when we were behind and he came in as sub as we needed more vertical player who can play on goal. And still I don't see that as relevant to another player situation. Roberto is playing as RB for legit reasons, if EV is playing other player in different positions for no reasons that doesn't take it from reasons to play Roberto as rb (I am getting confused myself writing those sentences :lol:)

Why doesn't Semedo do much in attack like he used to in Benfica? I thought he was a skiller like Alves

I think mainly because he relied more on his pace and dribbling more than passing and play-making. He should learn the system gradually and add more on the offense

henias

I think mainly because he relied more on his pace and dribbling more than passing and play-making. He should learn the system gradually and add more on the offense

Not really. It seems as if his role was set more defensively. He didnt even try to put in a cross, he just look to supply whoever was in the RW position. It doesnt work very well against team who sit back in their box. Against Atletico, they sat back after getting the 1-0 lead. Whatever the case, it doesnt help him at all if he gets benched every time. Semedo is definitely capable, but it just seems his role is just to defend well against big teams and the lack of minutes isnt developing him properly.

JamDav1982

Not really. It seems as if his role was set more defensively. He didnt even try to put in a cross, he just look to supply whoever was in the RW position. It doesnt work very well against team who sit back in their box. Against Atletico, they sat back after getting the 1-0 lead. Whatever the case, it doesnt help him at all if he gets benched every time. Semedo is definitely capable, but it just seems his role is just to defend well against big teams and the lack of minutes isnt developing him properly.

He got into forward positions quite a lot against Atletico and couldnt do much with it. Just before he came off he had a couple of terrible touches one which bounced off him for a goal kick.

It was clear why Valverde subbed him off and put on Roberto and it worked.

LeeRomeno

I have absolutely no idea why people whine about his minutes at this stage of campaign. We are doing fine in all competitions, we have really solid players who share time between them in RB position, which means we should have relatively fresh players there in spring and as both have had enough competitive games, we will not witness any loss of skill incase on injuries. It's massive progress compared to last season. Also seniority? SB is 25, Semedo 23, both are young players with many years for us and many games.

Alik

I have absolutely no idea why people whine about his minutes at this stage of campaign. We are doing fine in all competitions, we have really solid players who share time between them in RB position, which means we should have relatively fresh players there in spring and as both have had enough competitive games, we will not witness any loss of skill incase on injuries. It's massive progress compared to last season. Also seniority? SB is 25, Semedo 23, both are young players with many years for us and many games.

You missed the point. The problem is not that Bob is playing and Semedo isn't. It's that Rakitic is playing, forcing Bob to play at RB. Half the world complained when Bob played RB last season, and now when we finally bought a starting RB who has been excellent for us, we keep playing Bob in that position whilst Rakitic stinks it up at midfield.

JamDav1982

You missed the point. The problem is not that Bob is playing and Semedo isn't. It's that Rakitic is playing, forcing Bob to play at RB. Half the world complained when Bob played RB last season, and now when we finally bought a starting RB who has been excellent for us, we keep playing Bob in that position whilst Rakitic stinks it up at midfield.

The strongest midfield is arguably Busi, Paulinho and Iniesta.

Roberto has brought things to RB that Semedo hasnt shown so far and has played well there.

Rakitic playing is not forcing Roberto to RB.

henias

Roberto functions well against teams that sit back, has better creativity and passing; Semedo uses his pace and dribbling better against attacking, high pressing teams. Semedo also offers better defensive capabilities. Ultimately one cannot just conclude Roberto is the better RB than Semedo thus far just bcos they thrive in different situations. They both have their own strengths, even tho against Atletico, Roberto was almost like an extra right midfielder rather than a classic RB due to how deep Atletico was sitting.

Imo, it really depends on the opposition.

LeeRomeno

Really, did our coach complain about that over pint of beer? I am pretty sure Rakitic is not forcing anyone to play anywhere. There are clear reasons both Roberto and Semedo have had their chances and saying Semedo has been excellent is not true. He is promising RB, who has had good games and will have hopefully big future with us, but he is in no way settled in or ready to take the role Alba is having on other side. S.Roberto has been equally good on the position and there are there are several elements Semedo is missing and why Roberto has been preferred. For example those defense breaking assists we have scored a few vital goals from.
Also as someone said, having a "problem" of having 2 really good players for a position is a "problem" any coach would want to have vs having 0.

JamDav1982

Roberto functions well against teams that sit back and has better creativity and passing; Semedo uses his pace and dribbling better against attacking, high pressing teams. Semedo also offers better defensive capabilities. Ultimately one cannot just conclude Roberto is the better RB than Semedo thus far just bcos they thrive in different situations. They both have their own strengths, even tho against Atletico, Roberto was almost like an extra right midfielder rather than a classic RB due to how deep Atletico was sitting.

Imo, it really depends on the opposition.

Semedo so far has been better defensively and Roberto has been better going forward.

It isnt really any more complicated than that but Semedo is just still settling and not taking many risks in final third yet.

Both of them have done well at RB but it is obvious it is Semedos position long term.

Alik

Really, did our coach complain about that over pint of beer? I am pretty sure Rakitic is not forcing anyone to play anywhere.
Uhh, what? Rakitic is the most played CM. Undeservedly. If he's playing in that position, then naturally other players cannot.

saying Semedo has been excellent is not true. He is promising RB, who has had good games and will have hopefully big future with us, but he is in no way settled in or ready to take the role Alba is having on other side.
Disagreed. Semedo has been excellent and has been one of our best performers this season. He has been more consistent than the "settled" Alba. If it somehow appears otherwise, it's because he's been playing 1 in 2 matches.

S.Roberto has been equally good on the position and there are there are several elements Semedo is missing and why Roberto has been preferred. For example those defense breaking assists we have scored a few vital goals from.

Roberto can provide assists from midfield. They can play at the same time.

Also as someone said, having a "problem" of having 2 really good players for a position is a "problem" any coach would want to have vs having 0.
No, the problem is having good players for different positions and choosing to rotate them in one. Whilst an inferior player ends having the most minutes of all at their expense.

The strongest midfield is arguably Busi, Paulinho and Iniesta.
Yeah, arguably it is. Rakitic is nowhere near that. Roberto should be rotating with Paulinho and we'd be making the best use of our midfielders.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Roberto doing a good job at RB and helped turn around a couple of games already.

It is not because of Raki that is happening.

I like Roberto but he can be a bit easily pushed off the ball and not always the best in tight areas. He suits facing game more and having space for his energy and running and getting that from RB just now and can be an option if needed in midfield.

Truthist

No he isn't, Roberto has been brilliant in RB too and he is providing play making ability from the RB position that we desperately need.
Both together are making RB position very good for us, Semedo will have the time to improve his attacking ability and understanding of the system,but until then he will get his fair share of rotations.

Semedo's influence as an attacker would have surely grown in the second half against Athletico as they clearly decided to sit on their lead and bunker the middle.

I really like Roberto but if he's in as an attacker then the management should play him there but then that would mean growing a pair to drop one of the senior dead weights in the team.

Home of Barca Fans