Nelson Semedo

JamDav1982

Well, I still think that he is a better backup option to Roberto than Digne is to Alba. But, I wouldn't be surprised if we sell Digne in the summer and look for a LB backup option, who can also play RB if needed. That would pressure Semedo into performing. I still want to see more of Semedo-Roberto on the right side, but now with Dembouz back, that will happen even less, considering that Paulinho and Vidal will also need some game time.

You think Semedo is taking it easy due to lack of competition?

That is polar opposite of a lot of the excuses given for him so far.

serghei

I think defensively he is very good. On 1 vs 1 he's clearly superior to Roberto. Haven't seen him being ridiculed in an individual duel like Roberto has been last season and even this season. Both him and Roberto have positional problems at times (that's normal), the difference is that once the attackers are in a position where they isolate one of them, that attacker is more likely to dribble Roberto than Semedo.

Roberto is better with his passing at linking up with his teammates, that's the only reason he plays as a starter atm, and at a club like Barcelona, it counts the most, so no complains for me. At least until his issues in individual duels is going to cost us goals. (If Gaya would have scored for 1-1 for example in the Valencia it would've been mostly Roberto's fault for example, since Guedes dribbled him way too easily). If our defense is going to cope well with the individual duels Roberto is going to lose out wide in defense against fast and skilled wingers, he should play.

Selling Semedo doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

FCBfan22

You think Semedo is taking it easy due to lack of competition?

That is polar opposite of a lot of the excuses given for him so far.

Nah. But, if we get a great, versatile FB option, he will have to start fighting for his place at the club, which right now is pretty insured, at least as a backup RB.

I think he suffers from the same thing as most of the new players at the club: how to play with Messi and Busquets when attacking. They are as unpredictable for their opponents as they are for their teammates. For example, when Semedo read Messi's tendencies during a El Clasico, he made the run and almost scored. But, most of the time in attack, it seems to me, that he doesn't know what his teammates (especialy Messi and Busi) are up to. Someone posted that video of Busquets' plays in his topic. I think what Semedo doesn't realise yet is that with Busi when he has the ball at his feet, you need to run into space, because even if it seems that there is no way that Sergio will pass to you. He can make a small dribble, fool the defender and pull off that pass. Roberto is great at that and that's the reason why he's starting. With Messi, he will have to watch and learn, as will Dembele and Coutinho (who is still pretty uncompatible with Messi on the pitch, especially when he plays on the right).

P.S. Messi's free attacking role doesn't help. When he was a false 9 or RW, you knew where to find him most of the time. Now, he is everywhere between the CB's and opponent's goal.

Last edited:

serghei

Nah. But, if we get a great, versatile FB option, he will have to start fighting for his place at the club, which right now is pretty insured, at least as a backup RB.

I think he suffers from the same thing as most of the new players at the club: how to play with Messi and Busquets when attacking. They are as unpredictable for their opponents as they are for their teammates. For example, when Semedo read Messi's tendencies during a El Clasico, he made the run and almost scored. But, most of the time in attack, it seems to me, that he doesn't know what his teammates (especialy Messi and Busi) are up to. Someone posted that video of Busquets' plays in his topic. I think what Semedo doesn't realise yet is that with Busi when he has the ball at his feet, you need to run into space, because even if it seems that there is no way that Sergio will pass to you. He can make a small dribble, fool the defender and pull off that pass. Roberto is great at that and that's the reason why he's starting. With Messi, he will have to watch and learn, as will Dembele and Coutinho (who is still pretty uncompatible with Messi on the pitch, especially when he plays on the right).

Mostly true. We're playing with some advanced tactics. Some players have a very wide area of action. So each player must understand this and know where to position himself. Playing at Barcelona, tactically, must be the most demanding thing for a player. Look at Coutinho. World Class player, yet in the first 3-4 games he doesn't know exactly where to place himself to gain an advantage by way of smart positioning. So he's trying to get an advantage by way of dribbling, resulting in him losing the ball an awful lot of times.

This is only fixable with time, patience and hard work, so we can integrate the valuable young players we've signed. This is the case for Dembele as well.

Last edited:

serghei

Coutinho is coming off an injury, had less games and still looks a Barca player.

Semedo has been nothing like that.

Coutinho is a certified world class player we've signed for 140+. We've signed Semedo as a potential top player for 30m + some addons. A world of difference. If Coutinho shows that he needs time to get in the team (which he is showing), then we all need to me more patient with Semedo.

People underestimate the tactical knowledge it takes to play our positional possession game. It's a steep learning curve.

George_Costanza

Roberto isn't a RB, someone has to say it in this thread!

Semedo started well until the coach decided to punish him for each good performance by benching him the next game. He lost some confidence and now he only plays it safe without taking much risk going forward. The difference, Roberto can take risks and still get away with it if he makes mistakes.

Semedo needs proper playing time as RB. Roberto mainly should compete with Raki and Paulinho for MF spot and can be a backup RB.

JamDav1982

Coutinho is a certified world class player we've signed for 140+. We've signed Semedo as a potential top player for 30m + some addons. A world of difference. If Coutinho shows that he needs time to get in the team (which he is showing), then we all need to me more patient with Semedo.

Exactly so not same situation or performance level.

Dont need to be more patient. Semedo needs to start showing more.

Excuses change anyway as people were not long ago claiming it is about 'rhythm' or lack of minutes and he played as next Alves when first came.

JamDav1982

Semedo started well until the coach decided to punish him for each good performance by benching him the next game. He lost some confidence and now he only plays it safe without taking much risk going forward. The difference, Roberto can take risks and still get away with it if he makes mistakes.

Semedo needs proper playing time as RB. Roberto mainly should compete with Raki and Paulinho for MF spot and can be a backup RB.

Not what happened and has had plenty time at RB.

serghei

I also didn't like that Semedo was benched when he was playing well. That was a mistake when managing a young player you've just signed and must have affected his confidence a bit.

But Roberto is now playing well as a RB and he should stay as a starter. This without affecting Semedo's minutes. Let Roberto have most of the tough matches, but give Semedo plenty of minutes, and absolutely don't leave him out of the squad. Those were some dumb decisions by Valverde.

Excuses change anyway as people were not long ago claiming it is about 'rhythm' or lack of minutes and he played as next Alves when first came.

He does need to show more in offense, and we do need to be patient. Both are true.

Not the same situation between Coutinho and Semedo, but both are to be expected to take some time to integrate in the team, and Semedo should be given more time because he is coming from a weaker league, and it's his first experience at a great team. Don't see why we should put a lot of pressure on him since we are doing well in all competitions and, despite his low input in offense, Semedo is not a liability in any way, and more than did his job defensively. Haven't seen a single game in which Semedo cost us goals or had brainfarts, or gave the ball away like an idiot. It's more down to him playing it safe too many times while on the ball. On the contrary, seen him a lot of times putting out dangerous counters with his speed and strenght.

We don't have a Semedo or a Roberto problem unless we create it ourselves. Our right side looks good and promising with two good young players with plenty of potential in the future as well.

Last edited:

FCBfan22

I'd say, lets wait until the end of season and judge him then. 1 whole season to learn playing with GOAT and GOAT DM, is maybe not enough, but I'm sure we can draw conclusions more easily at the end of the season than now.

JamDav1982

I'd say, lets wait until the end of season and judge him then. 1 whole season to learn playing with GOAT and GOAT DM, is maybe not enough, but I'm sure we can draw conclusions more easily at the end of the season than now.

Not drawn any conclusions and only talking about his performances to date and what could happen if that continues.

Folk that say he needs more time or been treated poorly are drawing as many conclusions as anyone else.

He was rotated at start of season and was first choice for big games with Roberto who was also being rotated. Since then Roberto has played better and is first choice.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Next season will be make it or break it for Nelson. But I am afraid he will be even under more pressure as I can't imagine being this comfortable next year and he will have clear cut first choice Roberto to dislodge whereas few months ago they were on equal starting place.

clemente

What the fuck... I was guaranteed he will end up as top 3 RB this season after his debut but this is how it goes...

Home of Barca Fans