Nelson Semedo

jairzinho

Did you guys notice in the last match there was a moment when Messi received the ball on the right wing, Nelson was standing to his left watching and Messi actually pointed to his right to show him he should make a run?

You would assume that is something he should already be familiar with. #Strange! indeed.

Especially strange when you consider it's the total opposite of what he was in Benfica.

Whatever the problem is, lack of confidence etc, Sergi is definitely the better play atm.

BarçaBarça

He will settle with time. Everyone can see his obvious skills, so in the end he will come out great.

Expecting players to click from day one is a luxury Barca-fans have gotten too used to, to appreciate (Umtiti, Paulinho, etc.).
It's normal with a bit of up and down in the beginning, and we have already seen great performances from him as well.

It is really not his fault that Roberto is a freak of nature who can perform ridiculously good, on his day, in a position he shouldn't be able to play.
He will get enough playing time in the rest of the season to be a secure starter after summer, and hopefully Roberto has fully overtaken Rakitic' role in that time.

M

MessiCam

Earlier in the season I got caught up in the whole Semedo/Roberto debate but that’s because I wanted Roberto to play in midfield at the expense of an underperforming Rakitic. But I’ve since tried to stay clear of this thread. I just want to mention one thing though.

Semedo’s problem is his lack of tactical nouse and his inability to play in and with the midfield. All extremely important for a full back playing for Barça.

This is a guy who officially took up football at 16 years old and it shows. Especially when playing for Barça, whom demand a lot of their full backs. It all looked good at Benfica because it was just bombing forward. Here he has to play in midfield about 60%+ of the time. It’s going to be a long slog for him.

Pepe Silvia

Earlier in the season I got caught up in the whole Semedo/Roberto debate but that’s because I wanted Roberto to play in midfield at the expense of an underperforming Rakitic. But I’ve since tried to stay clear of this thread. I just want to mention one thing though.

Semedo’s problem is his lack of tactical nouse and his inability to play in and with the midfield. All extremely important for a full back playing for Barça.

This is a guy who officially took up football at 16 years old and it shows. Especially when playing for Barça, whom demand a lot of their full backs. It all looked good at Benfica because it was just bombing forward. Here he has to play in midfield about 60%+ of the time. It’s going to be a long slog for him.
I would argue that in his first few games with us it looked like he has been playing football since he was 3. His confidence took a shot when EV pulled him to accommodate Bobby, which is fine because it is deserved but it doesn't change the fact his confidence is still recovering.

M

MessiCam

I would argue that in his first few games with us it looked like he has been playing football since he was 3. His confidence took a shot when EV pulled him to accommodate Bobby, which is fine because it is deserved but it doesn't change the fact his confidence is still recovering.

I can maybe, and it’s a big maybe, go along with that but I’m yet to see him gel with those in midfield. He doesn’t know where to position himself.

YodaMaster

BBZ said:
1. Semedo is questionable in defense

What was that ?
Semedo is our best RB in defence. His potential is also 100 times higher than Roberto's. Do you people realize that it's Roberto's 7th season with first team ? He was rubbish for 4-5 years before he became ok. And last season Roberto was an awful RB. Semedo should definitely be given more chances, he's the future.

The only reason Roberto looks better than Semedo atm is because he knows the team perfectly well, he's been around for 7 freaking years !

PhilS

We'll see how Semedo develops with this team. Some very, very talented players come to Barca and never really learn how to contribute up to the Barca level. It is difficult to fully integrate into the Barca style without a lot of playing time.

Dembele will get that playing time, he is a talent worth that investment, though his full integration might take multiple seasons. Semedo, well, S. Roberto is playing RB now at a very high level, so that is tough for Semedo. At Barca, fullbacks have huge offensive responsibilities, more so than on most any other team.

A few come into this team and figure out how to be big pluses almost immediately. We've seen that recently with Umtitti and Paulinho, and I think Coutinho, too. The way S. Roberto has continued to develop, after years of not playing much, just amazes me.

FC433

How do we expect him to improve if we do not give him enough chances?

I absolutely love Roberto, but he did not reach this level until just recently. He had plenty of chances.

It is so annoying.

JamDav1982

How do we expect him to improve if we do not give him enough chances?

I absolutely love Roberto, but he did not reach this level until just recently. He had plenty of chances.

It is so annoying.

Semedo has played a lot.

It is not football manager where players need game time to improve at a club like Barca they have to show more to play more.

Pepe Silvia

What was that ?
Semedo is our best RB in defence. His potential is also 100 times higher than Roberto's. Do you people realize that it's Roberto's 7th season with first team ? He was rubbish for 4-5 years before he became ok. And last season Roberto was an awful RB. Semedo should definitely be given more chances, he's the future.

The only reason Roberto looks better than Semedo atm is because he knows the team perfectly well, he's been around for 7 freaking years !
facts... and I'm a Roberto fan. Semedo is the future at RB. He's a beast.

M

MessiCam

He should at least be part of the bench!

Think Valverde is experimenting with the attack at this stage. The Coutinho signing has changed things. I wouldn't be surprised if Coutinho plays LCM with any of Denis, Paco and Vidal playing as a RW against Valencia.

Sorin

It's always a risk to not include Semedo in the team even if he stays on the bench. What if Roberto has an injury? Does anyone expect Vidal to do a good job there? He played, maybe 5 good games in that position over the years. Imagine if Guedes catches a fantastic day. We're going to be turned inside out. Not to mention Pique is poor lately.

Home of Barca Fans