Nelson Semedo

serghei

He has been in a different class to Semedo going forward this season. It is not even close.

It is not all about senior players deciding not to pass to Semedo for no reason.

Players earn the trust of team mates.

Sure, let's see Semedo in the team after 1 more season. Disagree about Roberto being in a different class to Semedo offensively. Roberto's crosses are more precise and that's about it for me as far as offensive contribution. Instead, Semedo is faster and this helps him in individual duels.

JamDav1982

Sure, let's see Semedo in the team after 1 more season. Disagree about Roberto being in a different class to Semedo offensively. Roberto's crosses are more precise and that's about it for me.

He has been in a different class offensively this season. Check the stats.

Danic

First half of the season i agree but since 2nd half Roberto was on a constant decline with just a few exceptions.

Barcilliant

Roberto sucks in cl games. How many times does he get exposed? It's embarrassing. Every team creates mayhem when Roberto plays there.

BBZ8800

I don't agree Roberto is very good offensively either. Is a bit better, but could also be because he's a senior in the squad and players trust him more, while Semedo was signed this season.

Coutinho was also signed this season and teammates trust him.
Semedo and Dembele both play as if they have zero understanding of teammates and a system.
If you want to play random individual actions, they are good and have skills.
If you want to play smart and planned possession game and build up where all 11 teammates know what the other guy will do and why he will do that, then these 2 guys are horrible in that.

Sometimes I feel as if: there is a team Barcelona consisted of 9 players and then there are 2 random dudes dressed in our shirt, called Dembele and Semedo on the right, not playing for our team and who have zero connection and understanding with our teammates and actions.

ebieymjunior

Coutinho was also signed this season and teammates trust him.
Semedo and Dembele both play as if they have zero understanding of teammates and a system.
If you want to play random individual actions, they are good and have skills.
If you want to play smart and planned possession game and build up where all 11 teammates know what the other guy will do and why he will do that, then these 2 guys are horrible in that.

Sometimes I feel as if: there is a team Barcelona consisted of 9 players and then there are 2 random dudes dressed in our shirt, called Dembele and Semedo on the right, not playing for our team and who have zero connection and understanding with our teammates and actions.

Like every team, Barcelona plays better with chemistry, but it takes players time to build that (the one quicker than the other). It took Roberto years to have the chemistry he now has with the team. It's good that it didn't take Coutinho that long to have it (neither did it take Umtiti long), but that's not the case for every player. Even Neymar didn't have an immediate impact on his first season. What I'm trying to say is that you have to give them time to integrate. Valverde is certainly isn't making it easier on them, and Roberto had Alves to learn from.

BBZ8800

Like every team, Barcelona plays better with chemistry, but it takes players time to build that (the one quicker than the other). It took Roberto years to have the chemistry he now has with the team. It's good that it didn't take Coutinho that long to have it (neither did it take Umtiti long), but that's not the case for every player. Even Neymar didn't have an immediate impact on his first season. What I'm trying to say is that you have to give them time to integrate. Valverde is certainly isn't making it easier on them, and Roberto had Alves to learn from.

True.

I didn't reply on one post about Dembele from a few days ago where a user replied: all players play weaker against parked buses.
True.
But some players are awesome with a free space and still very good against parked buses.
While some are awesome with a free space and very average against parked buses.
So, yes, all players are better with a lot of free space, but there are tons of differences and levels among players.

The same as with this thing from your post.
Yes, all players play better over time when they click with a team, but in general, some players are more team-players, who will follow teamplay more and some players are individuals who will play "a strange" football even after 5 or 10 seasons.

I want to say: for some players, even though they are new, you can see: he will click here and in this system.
While with some others, there are serious doubts like: will this guy click even after 5 years based on his style of play and his natural style of play (if a player is a more individualistic player).

For example, Adama or Halilovic wouldn't click with our team properly even after 10 seasons.
While someone like Xavi clicked probably after 2 weeks.

This is not only about IQ.
It is also about player's natural style of play (is he more of an individual-solo player or a teamplayer, or whether he plays in a possession style or in counterattacking style), team's style of play etc.

Majority of posters here are posting all the time: Dembele/Semedo have talent, now they only need time etc.
Having a potential and getting minutes is only a small part of the story.

You can't put Messi in a team which is playing 1000 crosses per match.
You can't put Rakitic as a Cf or Cam in a team which relies on through balls and pace.
You can't put Andre Gomes in a team which is trying to play football etc.

My opinion is that both Semedo and Dembele are extremely weird fits for our team, and especially Dembele's case is a panic buy in my eyes and a proof how our board doesn't know what they are doing and they are just buying players in a hit and miss way without too much planning about our longterm formation, tactics, 2-3 attacking styles and options, about teammates, about future coaches etc.
Dembele was a panic buy and Semedo was a guy with 1 professional season behind him, lol and they were supposed to be future key players of Barca? A good joke.

Director Robert getting fired is probably the best thing which happened to us in the last few years.
Zubi really looks like a magician and a visionary compared to this Robert guy and his summers of 22' over and over.

Last edited:

Pepe Silvia

i thought semedo had a good game overall. he pressed the issue and didn't retreat like he sometimes does. he just has to trust himself more.

ronniecro

I am against replacing Semedo after one season but I see your point. We have to shoot higher than whatever Semedo has been showing.

i don't want to see him go either. And i don't expect him to be alves but he needs to improve greatly in offensive phase,there was one moment yesterday when both him and dembele were wide alone and nelson just stayed behind him without even thinking making offensive run. I got so annoyed
On the other side,odriozola pressed like his life depended on it,very good display

M

MessiCam

Semedo needs to learn to play in midfield. Dembélé is picking up on the movements of his teammates and is incorporating flicks, back heels etc in order to find them and open up spaces. Semedo hasn’t gotten to that stage yet.

Donatello

What about trading/replacing him for Trent Alexander Arnold of Liverpool. Guy is only 19, got called for WC & already looks equivalent(at least, maybe better) to Semedo. Although not the best RB atm, but gives me Dani Alves vibes. I am pretty sure if we don't go for him, a big club will snap him in a year or two. Odrizola, to me, looks like right sided Jordi alba.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans