Nelson Semedo

I see him leaving tbh, he's just cover for Roberto at this stage who to his credit offers much more in attack than Semedo which is what the coach demands of his fullbacks.

Barcilliant

Why even buy him if weren't ever going to give him a proper look and play a midfielder in his place? He was on fire at the start of the season and for some inexplicable reason Valverde decided to bench him for Roberto. People will say that he was just being rotated, but he was just really flat out benched for an inferior player. He was abruptly thrown to the bench and Roberto was given a long stretch of matches. Slowly, but surely Valverde cut down his playing time to a point where he only got garbage minutes and the odd Copa or irrelevant league match.

I know people like to say confidence plays no part in this, but in practice it really does, this isn't FIFA. He had arrived in a new league, in a new country speaking a different language. Just when he thought he had done enough to secure a starter's spot and was starting to gel with the team and build chemistry he was benched for midfielder for no apparent reason. I can imagine that must have been devastating and a huge blow to his confidence. Ever since then in the limited minutes he's seen he's looked hesitant, indecisive and reluctant to go forward. That's what happens when you're benched as a new player when you're playing well. The doubts start to creep in and you start to feel inadequate. Nobody can tell me this wasn't the overriding reason for his demise here. This isn't FIFA where you can throw players in for 20 minutes every two weeks and expect them to perform at peak levels. How is any player going to learn the Barca system without getting consistent minutes, even world class players like Neymar and Suarez had a fairly lengthy adaptation period. The wait is worthwhile for great players.

40m down the drain, thank's Valverde. Our chances of winning the CL is slim with world class wingers running at a out of position midfielder. One of our chief concerns last year was getting a proper RB and moving Sergi back to the midfield. We got the RB, but ruined him 2 months in when he was on track to being something special. Now he'll move to some other team where the coach will actually give him gametime to adapt and he'll tear things up.

Fuck, man spot on. What a fucking contradiction that Valverde goes a defensive 442 with an attacking rb who's actually a midfielder. Semedo started off great and then was benched for no apparent reason.

Semedo has some rare athletic gifts. He would be spectacular for a team like Bayern, City or even Liverpool.

What is going through Valverdes head??

In sports performance is achieved through confidence. Confidence will only come through consistent good games. This is true on both the individual and team level. Some people here think that Semedo is weak mentally but I don't think that is true. He's confused and hurt.

Valverde has really fucked up with his handling of Semedo. We paid 35m for a starter not a bench player.

Wake up Valverde you moron.

Messi983

Semedo needs to wake up and start to play (and possible train) better to convince EV to give him more chances. I like the guy but so far he's done nothing to show that he deserves more playing time.

Make your frustrations heard in the Valverde thread

Yeah, maybe EV will read his thread and do what fans want. If fans from barcaforum would be Barca president, board and coaches we'd already be on the way to 6th consecutive treble. :rockon:

Last edited:

George_Costanza

I see him leaving tbh, he's just cover for Roberto at this stage who to his credit offers much more in attack than Semedo which is what the coach demands of his fullbacks.

I was waiting for the first moron who would say "Roberto is better than Semedo at RB". No thanks, this was debugged already and we all saw the hole in Chelsea constant attack from our right side, and no more of this stupid claim especially when Semedo not getting any chances to prove us he is not that good.

Give him 3-5 continuous games then the jury should speak.

LeeRomeno

Best team does not consist of best individual players. Semedo can be individually better RB, does not matter at all, all that matters is how those 2 fit into coaches masterplan and obviously, Roberto suits there better.

mecka

How is he gonna link well with Messi when they almost never play together?

So you want to experiment and play him always and probably to drop points? Messi has to point where to run to him lol. Roberto worked hard to make at barca, people want to play semedo over hard working former barca youth player, it is crazy.

Joan

So you want to experiment and play him always and probably to drop points? Messi has to point where to run to him lol. Roberto worked hard to make at barca, people want to play semedo over hard working former barca youth player, it is crazy.

It's a shame Sergi worked hard only to play as a temporary RB while he is and has always been a midfielder.

5ergio_Busquets

Do you know that Roberto's position is the midfield? Surprise right? Roberto is not a RB and him having a better link-up understanding with the other players is due to the fact he has been playing with them for years. You can sign the best 10 RBs in the world and all of them would need time to adapt and develop and understanding with the team.
Roberto isn't great at RB, he can't defend and his attacking play is massively overrated. What did he do against Chelsea attacking wise? Nothing except a Gomes cross.
And he wouldn't sit on the bench if Semedo plays, he will play in midfield where his far more needed and where he can perform much better than at RB. So Semedo taking the RB position would be great news for Roberto because it would mean he can play in his original position and he is a million times better than the likes of Paulinho or Gomes.
And I don't care about a player being a Masia player or not, the better player for the position should play.

mecka

Do you know that Roberto's position is the midfield? Surprise right? Roberto is not a RB and him having a better link-up understanding with the other players is due to the fact he has been playing with them for years. You can sign the best 10 RBs in the world and all of them would need time to adapt and develop and understanding with the team.
Roberto isn't great at RB, he can't defend and his attacking play is massively overrated. What did he do against Chelsea attacking wise? Nothing except a Gomes cross.
And he wouldn't sit on the bench if Semedo plays, he will play in midfield where his far more needed and where he can perform much better than at RB. So Semedo taking the RB position would be great news for Roberto because it would mean he can play in his original position and he is a million times better than the likes of Paulinho or Gomes.
And I don't care about a player being a Masia player or not, the better player for the position should play.

Of course I would like to see him in midfield, but now that we have coutinho, dembele, probably arthur, I dont see space for him in midfield. And for chelsea game he did pretty well against hazard, it was his job in that game imo.
Semedo has to show more on the pitch when given opportunity, for him playing less and less I think that valverde does not want take too much risk at this stage of the season, we are doing great in defense, great positions in all tournaments with roberto at rb.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead

Interestingly after that game he was permanently benched, so maybe it's true what they say about Messi running the club:thinking:

5ergio_Busquets

Of course I would like to see him in midfield, but now that we have coutinho, dembele, probably arthur, I dont see space for him in midfield. And for chelsea game he did pretty well against hazard, it was his job in that game imo.
Semedo has to show more on the pitch when given opportunity, for him playing less and less I think that valverde does not want take too much risk at this stage of the season, we are doing great in defense, great positions in all tournaments with roberto at rb.

If he is not good enough to compete with the players you mentioned for position in mifield then the "hard working" Roberto has to work a little harder to improve himself. He is not a good enough RB

George_Costanza

Best team does not consist of best individual players. Semedo can be individually better RB, does not matter at all, all that matters is how those 2 fit into coaches masterplan and obviously, Roberto suits there better.

Nonsense...How do you know he doesn't fit the coach masterplan if he was rarely used? A coach who is known by now for being ultra-conservative and playing it safe, not taking any risks will never know how to explore new potentials like Semedo and Demeble. He still rely on the old guards and even worse than Lucho for not using yougsters either new siginings or Barca B players. I want him gone after this season just for this.

serghei

Is he that bad? Or is Valverde a fucking moron?

I find it hard to believe it's the former considering how good he was in the beginning of the season when he actually got to play.

Best bet is that he is a talented player that needs work and trust to get better. Valverde seems to be like Mourinho in this regard. Far from Pep or even Lucho, who would give time to young players even if not yet at the required level.

I mean, Valverde used a dead rubber but good match vs Sporting at home to play a bunch of reserve players who will never start for us, instead of using the game to play young talents.

If he had young Busi he'd take years to break in as a starter with him, simply because he'd never get enough chances.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans