Nelson Semedo

JamDav1982

The only good fullbacks we have are Alba, Roberto, and Semedo. If you sell Semedo and buy no one you're going to be badly exposed every time there is injury or suspension to a starting fullback. It's fine if it happens vs Granada at home. But if it happens in key games, we're gonna be in deep shit.

I want a fullback signed if we sell Semedo. Of similar quality. Otherwise, you're making an already top heavy and bad defensive team even worse going into next season.

If you think Semedo can play RB/LB are you saying he is starting RB or back up if stays.

Either way it doesnt work and need a proper back up LB as Semedo isnt it.

Firpo has looked good enough at Betis but looks too nervous at Barca. Unless he suddenly overcomes that he will be lucky if not sold. In which case they need a back up LB regardless of Semedo there or not.

If Semedo goes they need to worry about a RB an nothing else.

serghei

If you think Semedo is back up LB are you saying he is starting RB or back up?

Either way it doesnt work and need a proper back up LB as Semedo isnt it. Firpo has looked good enough at Betis but looks too nervous. Unless he suddenly overcomes that he will be lucky if not sold. In which case they need a back up LB regardless of Semedo there or not.

I think it's clear by now that I think Semedo is starting quality RB. Not going to insist with that anymore. You think he's average, I think he's quality. Let's move on.

I am saying that, in need, he is our only reliable back-up option at LB. So having only Firpo (who has been bad imo defensively, bad as in liability) besides Roberto and Alba is a terrible plan for next season as far as fullbacks are concerned.

JamDav1982

I think it's clear by now that I think Semedo is starting quality RB. Not going to insist with that anymore. You think he's average, I think he's quality. Let's move on.

I am saying that, in need, he is our only reliable back-up option at LB. So having only Firpo (who has been bad imo defensively, bad as in liability) besides Roberto and Alba is a terrible plan for next season as far as fullbacks are concerned.

So the starting RB is the planned back up LB....that wont work.

You weaken two positions as soon as LB gets injured.

If Firpo is deemed not good enough they need another back up LB not some idea that the cover is the starting RB.

wisconsincule

There are really no good players available that we could even replace him with.

If they need cash this bad then don’t sign anyone. Easy solution.

Semedo isn’t a world beater but he’s still serviceable. Playing next season with only Bob at RB makes me want to puke.

serghei

The post I made was in the realistic scenario that they will not sign both a LB and a RB if they sell Semedo.

So, they will need to sign a good RB who can also play LB reasonably well, because as things stand, Firpo can't defend for shit.

Anyway, point is at least a fullback has to be signed if Semedo is sold. One who can cover for both Roberto and Alba and do a fine job vs big teams.

JamDav1982

There are really no good players available that we could even replace him with.

If they need cash this bad then don’t sign anyone. Easy solution.

Semedo isn’t a world beater but he’s still serviceable. Playing next season with only Bob at RB makes me want to puke.

A new RB would be signed without a doubt.

JamDav1982

The post I made was in the realistic scenario that they will not sign both a LB and a RB if they sell Semedo.

So, they will need to sign a good RB who can also play LB reasonably well, because as things stand, Firpo can't defend for shit.

Anyway, point is at least a fullback has to be signed if Semedo is sold. One who can cover for both Roberto and Alba and do a fine job vs big teams.

No they will never sign a RB that is planned to be the starter but seen as back up at LB that is ridiculous.

Either Firpo will stay and be the back up or they will sign a new back up LB.

Firpos bigger issue is going forward if anything he just looks terrified.

Can get away with being average or even poor at times as a FB at Barca if produce going forward but if cant get forward than it is pointless.

serghei

No they will never sign a RB that is planned to be the starter but seen as back up at LB that is ridiculous.

Either Firpo will stay and be the back up or they will sign a new back up LB.

Firpos bigger issue is going forward if anything he just looks terrified.

Can get away with being average or even poor at times as a FB at Barca if produce going forward but if cant get forward than it is pointless.

Have you seen Puyol playing as a RB in the CL final in 2009, and Yaya Toure played as a CB? It is perfectly acceptable to use players off positions in situations where you are exposed. In this case, you play two players off position, instead of one, because the alternative is worse.

So, yes, you need a fullback who can cover both the FB positions, because Firpo is showing massive weaknesses in defense. Why is that such an exotic notion. You need to be prepared for all cases when you start a season.

Firpo can't defend. Against the big teams you have to defend well. You can get away with decent defending. But Firpo's defending is abysmal.

As I said, if something happens to Alba, best line-up is Semedo LB and Roberto RB if the opponent is strong in attack. Because Firpo is a massive liability in defense. It's simple. The new fullback we will sign, will have to be able to play both positions as well as Semedo.

Last edited:

JamDav1982

Have you seen Puyol playing as a RB in the CL final in 2009, and Yaya Toure played as a CB? It is perfectly acceptable to use players off positions in situations where you are exposed. In this case, you play two players off position, instead of one, because the alternative is worse.

So, yes, you need a fullback who can cover both the FB positions, because Firpo is showing massive weaknesses in defense. Why is that such an exotic notion. You need to be prepared for all cases when you start a season.

Firpo can't defend. Against the big teams you have to defend well. You can get away with decent defending. But Firpo's defending is abysmal.

As I said, if something happens to Alba, best line-up is Semedo LB and Roberto RB if the opponent is strong in attack. Because Firpo is a massive liability in defense. It's simple. The new fullback we will sign, will have to be able to play both positions as well as Semedo.

That is terrible example unless the plan was for Toure to be the starting DM and the first choice back up at CB which it never was.

Puyol has played RB so again not relevant.

No Barca dont need a starting RB who the plan is to be the back up LB and thankfully wont happen. It is ridiculous and no top club will plan like that.

This is one of your worst ones yet..... Barca will try to sign a new starting RB who will switch to LB and cover Alba if he gets injured..Leaving Barc with both back up full backs and one that is out of position.

Rather than signing a new LB if Firpo deemed not good enough.

Wait and see but you are miles off what will happen.

Richard.H

I don't think this is true. If Semedo leaves that puts even more pressure on Firpo because he would essentially be the #1 sub if there's any injury in RB and LB. The lad already looks nervous, this situation wouldn't help.

How far we have fallen from Dani Alves and prime Alba, ridiculous.

JamDav1982

I don't think this is true. If Semedo leaves that puts even more pressure on Firpo because he would essentially be the #1 sub if there's any injury in RB and LB. The lad already looks nervous, this situation wouldn't help.

How far we have fallen from Dani Alves and prime Alba, ridiculous.

Absolutely no chance Firpo would be seen as back up for both RB and LB.

Barca would sign a new RB and if they deem Firpo not good enough back up LB will sign cover there and loan/sell him.

serghei

That is terrible example unless the plan was for Toure to be the starting DM and the first choice back up at CB which it never was.

Puyol has played RB so again not relevant.

No Barca dont need a starting RB who the plan is to be the back up LB and thankfully wont happen. It is ridiculous and no top club will plan like that.

This is one of your worst ones yet..... Barca will try to sign a new starting RB who will switch to LB and cover Alba if he gets injured..Leaving Barc with both back up full backs and one that is out of position.

Rather than signing a new LB if Firpo deemed not good enough.

Wait and see but you are miles off what will happen.

Do you honestly think they will sign a new RB of similar level with Semedo, and a new LB if Semedo is sold? If you don't believe that, everything you wrote is useless and it basically gets down to my scenario. You lose a starting quality RB + a viable back-up for Alba, which Firpo is clearly not.

:lol: The reason they are selling Semedo is to get money to fund their Lautaro deal.

Richard.H

Absolutely no chance Firpo would be seen as back up for both RB and LB.

Barca would sign a new RB and if they deem Firpo not good enough back up LB will sign cover there and loan/sell him.

Absolutely no chance this club is smart enough to buy a new RB or a backup LB. Wake up, see the burning ship that is current Barca.

JamDav1982

Do you honestly think they will sign a new RB of similar level with Semedo, and a new LB if Semedo is sold? If you don't believe that, everything you wrote is useless and it basically gets down to my scenario. You lose a starting quality RB + a viable back-up for Alba, which Firpo is clearly not.

:lol: The reason they are selling Semedo is to get money to fund their Lautaro deal.

If Semedo is sold yes they will sign a new RB.

If Firpo is sold they will replace him and not rely on starting RB as cover at LB.

They can sell Semedo and still raise money even id sign another RB.

Home of Barca Fans