Adrien Rabiot

BBZ8800

Verratti was the one we needed from PSG, that ship sailed. The fact that PSG would let Rabiot go says a lot after we've tried for Verratti, Thiago Silva before and failed miserably.

They are not letting him go.
His contract is ending in 2019' and he rejected all new proposals from them.
This season, lately, since he doesn't want to extent a contract and will be able to leave for free, he is often on a bench and on a stands, Psg doesn't want to use him anymore.

If this was some other player doing this, we would read here: omg, he loves Barca, he is so devoted that he is willing to ruin 1 year of his career with sitting on stands, just to come at Barca.
I mean, imagine if let's say De Jong would have done the same.
We would see songs and statues for him in that case.

Remember how Dembele was "a good guy" when he forced his move to Barca?
When Rabiot is doing the same: we don't need him, more or less...

Btw, his regular price would have been between 60 and 80M Euros.
So, getting him for free isn't the end of a world (plus a sign on fee).

Also, if it means anything, Klopp wants him at Liverpool and wants to hijack his transfer to Barca:

MTL_Barca

I didn't mean let him go as in for free I just meant in general. We were probably willing to pay big money for Verratti and Silva but they were having none of it.

I'm sure that was also the case for Rabiot. They still want to renew him, but if he doesn't want to sign a new contract even PSG can't do anything to stop him from joining us.

BBZ8800

We don't need him because he's crap and he would take place of better player. We shouldn't take him even if WE would be paid to have him lol.

I am not sure whether some of you guys are trolling or have you totally lost your heads and you are living in some weird Pep's-based world where every player who is not Pep's prototype of a player is an absolute shit.
I mean, some of you are acting as if he is the worst player on a planet, because he doesn't moves like Xavi, right?

He is young (23 currently), coming for free, he is a different player profile than what we have among our young players (Alena, Puig, Arthur, possibly De Jong), he played 230+ matches for Psg, 33 Champions league matches, 6 caps for World cup champions France.

Anyway, let's check one more time how he played vs our mightly MSN, Iniesta, Busi, Gomes last year, when he was still 21.
Quite a nice match for a crappy player like him, aged only 21, right?
Quite calm on a ball, doesn't make stupid passes, playing like he has 1000 matches in a CL on his back.
Makes tackles, interceptions, passes, dribbles, good attacking runs, is bullying our physically weak midfielders and Messi in a lot of actions.
Btw, when he was as old as Alena is currently, Rabiot already played 118 matches for Psg...

Is he really as bad and as useless as you think?
And do you think that playing with 3 lighter players like Arthur/De Jong is the recipe for a success in 2020 and onwards?
A hint: those guys will be bullied against AM, Bayern and similar teams in a CL all the time. That doesn't mean that we need 3 Rabiots, but we do need some bullies and physical guys also. Not 11 schoolboys (and De Jong is another too nice schoolboy).
Anyway, a 21 years old Rabiot vs mighty Barcelona. Look at how many balls he has won against us.
I counted 8 interceptions and tackles, 1 nutmeg to Messi and 3 loose balls recovered.
And do you know that good old logic: he is young and has potential... If he is winning 8 tackles against Barca aged 21, how many tackles will he won aged 25 and 28? Probably way more, right?

Last edited:

MTL_Barca

I remember Gomes was top 3 CL passer at some point :lol:

Nah jokes aside Rabiot is a good player but i don't necessarily want him here. Surprised BBZ likes him so much tbh, would've thought he is the kind of player he would love to trash.

wisconsincule

So BBZ you like him because he is proven essentially? I haven’t followed him much this year but I do remember him dominating us in the champions league a few seasons ago. Only problem if we sign him he will be on monster wages and we most likely miss out on FDJ. I

BBZ8800

So BBZ you like him because he is proven essentially? I haven’t followed him much this year but I do remember him dominating us in the champions league a few seasons ago. Only problem if we sign him he will be on monster wages and we most likely miss out on FDJ. I

I like him because he is a DIFFERENT player profile from our other young midfielders.
He offers some physical presence, thuggish behavior and played 230 matches for Psg.

Rakitic will be gone, Vidal will be gone, Paulinho is gone.
He is closest to that type of a player.
I know that people prefer Isco type of players, but you can't play with 3 Iscos in midfield. You need one Rakitic or Casemiro.

So, my point is: we will need one player of that profile AFTER Rakitic.
And since Rakitic could be sold soon, our options are: either 24 years old Rabiot for free or buying some new similar player for 50-80 Millions.
As reported by Sport, Rabiot will come for free, and yet his regular price would have been 60-80m.

So, the option: buy De Jong, and play with De Jong, Alena, Oriol, Puig, Arthur=doesn't exist.

The only options are:
1. get Rabiot for free
2. or buy a similar type in 1-2 years for 50-80m.

On the other hand, if we sign Rabiot for free and if he will fail, we can resell him to England for 30-50m next summer.

We signed Van Bommel for free from Psv in 2005 and sold him to Bayern for 6m, aged 29 in the next summer.
That is around 20-25m in today's market.

So, Rabiot's transfer makes sense both:
1. In a tactical sense because he is offering a different profile
2. In financial sense, since he can come for free and we can easily resell him to Juve or England in the future and earn a lot

Even Frenki's transfer, if his price will be 80-90m. If he will fail, we can resell him only for 40-50m.

To some extent, Rabiot is a win-win.
1. If he'll make it, we will get a good player for free
2. If he will fail, with his sale, we can fund a transfer of a new midfielder in a summer of 2020'.

So, welcome.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Rabiot is nothing like Rakitic or Vidal or even Paulinho.

Not as combative or as big of a scoring threat, nor the Box to Box presence.

BBZ8800

Rabiot is nothing like Rakitic or Vidal or even Paulinho.

Not as combative or as big of a scoring threat, nor the Box to Box presence.

Do you know that reply which some users use: Do you know that Modric played for Dinamo Zagreb in Dembele's age and look at where he is today?
So, why in a case of shiny, technical players like Dembele, Malcom, Alena and similar: people are giving the a benefit of a doubt?
If Dembele is making bad decisions on a pitch, people reply: he is young, he will improve.
If he is making bad passes, people reply: he is young, he will improve.
If he doesn't have a clue how to man mark a player, people reply: he is young, he will improve.

When Alena is playing for Barca A, and looks like a ghost and totally out of place, people reply: he is young, he needs confidence, blah blah.

So, basically, when people LIKE a player:
1. for every virtue which he already posses (like Dembele's dribbling), people reply=he will be even better
2. and for his every flaw (bad decisions), people reply=he will develop that skill over time

Now, why this doesn't apply to players whom people here don't like, like Rabiot?
He is only 23 today.
Why can't he improve all of his skills a lot in the next 2-3-4 years?

About your post and about defending and being a fighter, do you know where Rakitic played aged 23?
He has just signed for Sevilla from Schalke.
At Schalke, aged 22-23, he played as a Cf and Cam.

So, look at how a current Barca's best babysitter (Rakitic) looked like when he was as old as a current Rabiot, aged 23:
Did he look here as a combative defensive midfielder-midfielder-babysitter?
He played with a number 10 on his back...

Or, Rakitic aged 24-25 at Sevilla, does he look like a future fighter and babysitter here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IgZck2uVWQ

My point is that Rabiot aged 23 looks closer to Rakitic aged 30 than Rakitic aged 23 compared to Rakitic aged 30.
If that makes sense..

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
I get what you are saying @BBZ8800, but Rakitic came from a humble background. He worked his ass off to get to Sevilla and worked even harder to get to Barcelona. Heck the dude worked his ass off to learn Spanish fluently in less than a year just so he could ask his wife out for a date :lol:

Rabiot comes from a completely different background which have gotten him in trouble with the French NT already, an entitled attitude of a spoiled brat which is fueled by his crazy mother who acts as his agent.

He will demand a starting spot for Barca. We should go for players that are more mobile, moves the ball faster and does better defensively, are faster to get back defensively and to cover space.

Frenkie de Jong and Tanguy Ndombele are better at that and are proving themselves against good opposition too.

Signing Rabiot hoping he becomes Rakitic would be a mistake if it comes at the cost of better players suited for that role. And by that I mean the role you want him to play.

And why has Rakitic suddenly become the desired type of Barcelona midfielder? Of all the players Barca have had throughout the club's history and the type of midfielders dominating for other clubs we should look for something different and better.

FDJ and Ndombele are 1.80m and fast in open and close spaces. I would rather have that over a slower 1.90m player.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans