Adrien Rabiot

Givenchy

IF (and thats a big if) he changes his attitude/entourage then i got no problem with him joining Barca, i still don't see him as a starter and im not sure of a Rabiot-Arthur-Frenkie midfield would work but hey ho

Porque

IF (and thats a big if) he changes his attitude/entourage then i got no problem with him joining Barca, i still don't see him as a starter and im not sure of a Rabiot-Arthur-Frenkie midfield would work but hey ho

Agreed. Although I do think that with a slowing down Messi we would be wise to have a Kante or 90 minute version of Ndombele able to step into the 11.

gregorrin10

Agreed. Although I do think that with a slowing down Messi we would be wise to have a Kante or 90 minute version of Ndombele able to step into the 11.

Why not go after Ndombele himself then? With him and Frenkie, plus Arthur and Alena we really would have every type of midfielder in the squad covered, we'd have flair, ball retention and great passing from Arthur and De Jong, attacking drive in Alena, physical element and engine in Ndombele. And of course there's still Busquets for a couple of years to lead them all and help them turn into proper Barca midfielders. Rabiot just doesn't fit into that story, let it be for lack of quality (he's solid everywhere, but not world class in one midfield aspect), not to mention the trouble in attitude he would likely bring.

Porque

Why not go after Ndombele himself then? With him and Frenkie, plus Arthur and Alena we really would have every type of midfielder in the squad covered, we'd have flair, ball retention and great passing from Arthur and De Jong, attacking drive in Alena, physical element and engine in Ndombele. And of course there's still Busquets for a couple of years to lead them all and help them turn into proper Barca midfielders. Rabiot just doesn't fit into that story, let it be for lack of quality (he's solid everywhere, but not world class in one midfield aspect), not to mention the trouble in attitude he would likely bring.

It is a nice idea, with Busquets providing the experience. Would not be opposed to it, but with the difference in transfer fee's and Rabiot experience despite his age, I am sure the club will go for him and spend the would-be Ndombele fee on a striker instead.

As you say Arthur-De Jong-Rabiot, on paper atleast, seem a little same-ish and as if something is missing.

ronniecro

i'd place alena in a heartbeat,homegrown player who knows and loves the club,instead of this spoiled,money hungry entitled brat

Riordon

Would be too many young midfielders especially in a position where experience is important. Not saying we should go for 30+ year old midfielders but i would rather we chase Eriksen instead of Ndombele. I think they will be close to the same price with Eriksen only a year left. And Eriksen is really really quality. And a big cule. IMO we would be stupid to let him go to Madrid.

Gari

[MD] | Barcelona have withdrawn from signing Rabiot in the summer. De Jong's arrival, Arthur performances, Aleñá's integration into the first team and Riqui Puig's potential all played a role in this decision

BarçaBarça

[MD] | Barcelona have withdrawn from signing Rabiot in the summer. De Jong's arrival, Arthur performances, Aleñá's integration into the first team and Riqui Puig's potential all played a role in this decision

I applaud all the reasons, but I still doubt if that will be enough midfielders. Of course Roberto could see his role freezed out if Rabiot joins, but can we really rely on players like Puig if we get 1 injury and 1 suspension at the same time in midfield? I assume Rakitic leaves, of course. I for one hope that De Jong can overtake Busi's place sooner rather than later, and Alena+Arthur with a bench of Roberto, Vidal and Puig seems a bit thin to me. Maybe I'm underestimating Roberto here, but I think Rabiot is on a higher level, isn't he? Whether Rabiot would accept a Roberto-role is the big question of course, but he needs to accept that if he wants to join us (+accept lower wages than in PSG).

BarçaBarça

What does being "Alpha" bring us, exactly? He's not particularly talented defensively and his passing is kind of shit.

The opportunity to sub someone in during a Roma-like game where everybody is apathetic. Doesn't have to be him exactly, but someone like him is good for the squad, imo.

Newcomer

I applaud all the reasons, but I still doubt if that will be enough midfielders. Of course Roberto could see his role freezed out if Rabiot joins, but can we really rely on players like Puig if we get 1 injury and 1 suspension at the same time in midfield? I assume Rakitic leaves, of course. I for one hope that De Jong can overtake Busi's place sooner rather than later, and Alena+Arthur with a bench of Roberto, Vidal and Puig seems a bit thin to me. Maybe I'm underestimating Roberto here, but I think Rabiot is on a higher level, isn't he? Whether Rabiot would accept a Roberto-role is the big question of course, but he needs to accept that if he wants to join us (+accept lower wages than in PSG).

Lool ! Lower wages than in PSG ? Are you mad ?

Rabiot is among the lowest salary in PSG, around 3 M a year.

Donatello

Understandable, I also had the same doubts. If you sign Rabiot, it means much less time for Alena and no time for Puig.

I don't have any issues, we can give it a go. If RM can do that with the whole squad(experimenting youngesters), we can at least do that with our midfield.

tacticvarium

[tw]1099257929998438400[/tw]

Hope this is true.
And we should make room for Puig (+Oriol) by getting rid of Raki or Vidal or both of them.

Arizona Scott

I am no where close to wanting Puig or Oriol to have a roster spot in the A team, and while Alena is good enough for depth and spot duty he has a lot to show before he is someone you want to count on in a big match.

If we are going to spend big on a transfer, Eriksen makes a lot of sense.

But getting Rabiot on a free and using the transfer from Rakitic to go for a striker makes far more sense to me. The question isn't whether FDJ-Arthur-Rabiot are ideal together. We will always need more than 3 good midfielders, and we still have Busi. Only way I don't want a decently sized solid multi-tool all around CDM is if we keep Rakitic, but I think Rakitic out, Rabiot in, long term is wise. Busi-Rakitic-Vidal are all getting up there and no counting on Puig, Oriol and Alena to fill any of their shoes while we have Messi in his prime IMO would be a huge mistake.

Home of Barca Fans