Tactics flexibility

Gnidrologist

Couldn't think in which forum branch to put this as there are no ''general football'' thing here, but hear me out.

I've watched football from mid 90s (for the record) and it always seems that same coaches apply mostly same tactics through out their career.
There have been much grounded criticism on Lucho about his inability to turn around the play, and steer it into another direction recently (i mostly lurk here).
The thing is, i don't remember any coach/manager (or what's the right term now), who changed his tactics according to team/players they have.
Skepticism against Lucho is grounded as i don't like recent Barca's play as most of you, but don't you think there's some sort of determinism at play?
Look at Pep at Bayern and City. He does his thing and that's all. Either player's adapt or not. The same with Mourinho, who has made MU into wannabe Chelsea. More obscure example, Montella, who coached Fiorentina for x years, trying to teach them tiki-taka and now he tries the same with Milan, who imo has even worse roster, especially for that style, then his former team. Van Gaal..:tata:
etc.etc.

Can you bros, single out some major team managers that have both adapted to their team's players and changed style of play accordingly. Even better if you can provide an example of boss, who can change tactics and the whole flow of play on the fly during matches seamlessly.

That's a genuine inquiry lest you think i want to apologize someone. :lucho:

Last edited:
F

FlaFCB

Skepticism against Lucho is grounded as i don't like recent Barca's play as most of you, but don't you think there's some sort of determinism at play?

Yes, I think you have a point. It's a bit confusing because his 2015 Barça played differently, but I think it wasn't because of his tactics, but because he kinda gave up on them momentarily. Ever since 2016, he's back to using his tactics, and thus the horrible football we are seeing.

Even better if you can provide an example of boss, who can change tactics and the whole flow of play on the fly during matches seamlessly.

I don't watch other teams that much, but regarding Barça, Tito would do it sometimes, in the little time he had as coach. Pep too.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
You know what another great thing about Sampaoli is?

That he has played three different systems in Sevilla this season when they've come up against different types of teams. Yes, he is tactically flexible and adaptable!

Messi983

Simeone is not playing as defensive as he did couple of seasons ago.

Yeah, and that costed them a lot of points this season.

I don't know if changing what has made them successful in the past is the right thing for Atletico but I believe Cholo is trying to develop a better offensive game for his career after he'll leave Atletico which I think will happen after next season (I don't think he'll leave this summer because they are moving to new stadium and he'll want to coach them in that important season for the club; but maybe if Arsenal will finally get rid of Wenger they could convince him although I believe he's more likely to go to Inter).

They can (and probably will) still play their usual kind of game in knockout games in CL but I think they are also softer this season than they were in the past. Injuries could play a part in that but it's probably just that you get worn out playing so agressive and intense for more than 3 or 4 seasons so you must let players relax a bit if you don't want to break them or they do that themselves but then you risk to lose their trust which I don't believe is happening with Simeone.

Other managers like Pep and Mou also know this and that's why they usually leave their team after that period of time because it's easier to get to new club and motivate different set of players than to try and change 30-40% of your successful team from the past. Coaches are usually also personally/emotionally attached to those players so it's even harder to replace them.

Home of Barca Fans