Kylian Mbappé

Newcomer

Our situation is awful, and it wont improve that much.
No, the rise of the oil clubs and inflation that comes with it, means we cant actually buy big stars anymore.

Not too mention that Barca has proven to be in auto-pilot mode in la liga, even without Messi, its not a serious competition for them anymore, la liga is essentially their playground, much like Serie A is for Juventus.

So, we wont have to financial strength to keep up with the rich oil clubs in Europe (PSG has to stop choking at some point), and domestically is basically a hopeless situation, we are screwed for years to come.

PSG has already been dealt with thanks to retroactive decrease of our sponsors. When we bought the players, it was ok for UEFA to consider our contracts were worth 100 M but then they wanted to sanction us by changing that value for years that had already ended. This is why PSG had to sell players like Lo Celso, Guedes, etc. When you see when they are doing in la Liga (Guedes was playing injured before his operation), PSG would have been way more threatening even after Cavani and Neymar injuries.
You have to differentiate PSG and City. Look at how many players PSG had to sell compared to City, just because City has british TV rights money. With the current QTA valuation by UEFA, there is no more inflated contract. In fact, UEFA wants PSG to not renew this contract at all, so it is hard to call it an "oil" club. PSG is poorer than when they bought Neymar and Mbappé actually. Our saving line is that we got a new principal sponsor for 60-75 M€ and Nike is going to give us 75 M€ (with apparently a lot of sporting bonuses that can bring it up to 100 M+) and Jordan collaboration that is working fire (15 M€ was the expected return for the club but it is more successful than predicted so we will get more). And all that still doesn't make up entirely for the QTA contract loss but UEFA can't annoy us anymore since those contracts are not considered related parties with Qatar.
It is only next year (not 2019/2020 but 2020/2021) that we will see a big increase in TV rights and PSG will be able to invest on the market i think. Also, remember PSG being in French league has less TV rights money, is the club paying the most taxes in the whole world and can't develop their revenues via the stadium like most of the top european clubs nowadays (Juve, City, Arsenal, Tottenham etc. and soon Milan clubs, Real, Barca).

Barcelona has done better business than Real Madrid, i agree. They have bought a lot of young players, already good despite their youth : Dembélé, Ter Stegen before, Lenglet, Malcom, Arthur, de Jong, de Ligt probably. They have a good axis for a team in the next 5/10 years. However, we can't gauge the effect Messi retirement will have. They'll have a lot of money to invest at that moment though but Messi is only one of a kind.

As for Madrid, you have reportedly 500 M to invest and your new stadium will be a cash cow. Realistically, only Barca, City and MU (if they want) can compete with you financially.

Newcomer

Of course the golden boot matters--it is part of Messi's legacy. The sort of thing people will point to long after he stops playing. The GOAT should be winning everything there is to win.

Besides, if he loses it to Mbappe, you just know a crowd will begin to form arguing that Mbappe is already better than Messi and all that. Mbappe will get his golden boots and at least a ballon d'or at some point, but we are still in Messi's era.

You are talking as if there is some kind of cult around Messi.

Or a cult behind Mbappé, should he win the golden boots.

It is funny.

Only casuals will dare to say Mbappé is better than Messi because goals tally is not the alpha and omega in football. Messi is on a whole another level, golden boots or not.

BarcaOG

Banned
You are talking as if there is some kind of cult around Messi.

Or a cult behind Mbappé, should he win the golden boots.

It is funny.

Only casuals will dare to say Mbappé is better than Messi because goals tally is not the alpha and omega in football. Messi is on a whole another level, golden boots or not.

You...don't think there's a Messi cult? Every legend has one. Hell, I'm a Messi fanboy, count me in his.

Newcomer

You...don't think there's a Messi cult? Every legend has one. Hell, I'm a Messi fanboy, count me in his.

Well, you are maybe right but i find it odd.

You chose a nice leader to follow. ^^

I'll be a member of the Choupo-Moting cult then. Already a PSG legend. Will be forever remembered.

A pacey speedster playing in a farmers league. Even Zlatan and Cavani had better stats with PSG in that Ligue1, but they had awful stats in UCL.
Teams like Dijon or Metz, you can beat them by 8/0, 9/0 easily.
French teams practice a very negative football, too reserved, don't even try to counter-attack against Paris. That's why Paris struggle a lot in UCL, no longer the same level.
Mbappé is surely a World-class striker, he is a goal-machine, relying a lot on his speed and runs off the ball. But he can be stopped; Ask Uruguay and Belgium, he did nothing against them despite there were free open spaces (especially against Belgium).
As a football fan, I think that he is one of the future best, but watching him play doesn't give me any good sensation. Too boring, relies too much on the physical, not aesthetic to my taste of football. He is not Barça style at all; would prefer watch Dembelé over him, even if Dembelé is less mature and less consistent at the moment.

Last edited:

Newcomer

A pacey speedster playing in a farmers league. Even Zlatan and Cavani had better stats with PSG in that Ligue1, but they had awful stats in UCL.
Teams like Dijon or Metz, you can beat them by 8/0, 9/0 easily.
French teams practice a very negative football, too reserved, don't even try to counter-attack against Paris. That's why Paris struggle a lot in UCL, no longer the same level.
Mbappé is surely a World-class striker, he is a goal-machine, relying a lot on his speed and runs off the ball. But he can be stopped; Ask Uruguay and Belgium, he did nothing against them despite there were free open spaces (especially against Belgium).
As a football fan, I think that he is one of the future best, but watching him play doesn't give me any good sensation. Too boring, relies too much on the physical, not aesthetic to my taste of football. He is not Barça style at all; would prefer watch Dembelé over him, even if Dembelé is less mature and less consistent at the moment.

It would be difficult since Metz is not even in Ligue 1.
Zlatan and Cavani (i guess you are not talking about his first two seasons) were playing as n°9. Mbappé has really adopted that role after Cavani injuries.

Negative football, you are right. Too reserved, i don't think. They give the best they have, and that best is more often on the physical side (they lose their flair players fast like Malcom or Dembélé that are at your club). PSG struggles a lot because the goalkeeper is average, the full backs are awful at defending and the CB are ok. United didn't create anything in 180 mins and still, it was enough to score 3 goals. With a non existent midfield that can't cover too much for their retarded defence, it is open play. Even the game against Lille highlighted that : shooting against PSG almost equals scoring a goal.

I can understand your preference for Dembélé style over Mbappé. With Mbappé brain/mentality, he would be an insane player. If Mbappé stops being so raw with his shooting technique (learn to place the ball better, chip the ball past goalkeepers) and improves with headers, he will be a legendary striker.

I don't agree about Belgium game, he was very good. He even made a smooth move to put Giroud clear to the goal. He gave another good ball to Pavard that was close to scoring. He lost only 1 ball, won many duels, his match was good.
Against Uruguay, you are right, he was well contained.

However, i don't really draw too much from national team football. National teams have no time to work and form a good and cohesive team. France game plan was just sit back and defend and fast transition into attack to use Mbappé speed and accuracy. In that set up, Pogba was the best midfielder in the world with his good long ball pass ability. In club football, games are tighter and such tactics rarely work. Pogba is way less effective when the game is not open and the same is true with Mbappé.
He has also become much more predictable as a winger since he always does the same skill. This is why i think his future is in front of the goal, maybe n°9 or 2nd striker around a pivot. But he then needs to play quick passes to one another. He can't stay on top and wait for the ball or take it deeper and go on with a solitary effort.
In that sense, improving his header technique would allow him to add another threat to his game. And finally, he scores a lot but can miss seemingly easy goals as well. It is ok when he has several occasions but in Champions League, you only get few ones and you need to put them in the back of the net.
He did so at Manchester but failed at Paris. So he is accountable in that elimination. He is growing physically and as a player, he is getting better and i can't wait to see the heights he will reach in the future. Maybe it is already his zenith or maybe we have only seen a few of his feats. This is also what makes football wonderful !

78Laffitte

Before posting an opinion on the player, watch the games. There is more ridiculous result each year in the liga than in ligue 1, the defenses of L1 are more compact and physical. The psg plays every game against bus.

Against Argentina he was incredible. Against Belgium it can almost end with 3 assists if the attackers were more reactive. And he never lost the ball. You can look at the Uruguayan games for the second time, he made mad the Urugayan defenders to the point which we were afraid he would end up hurt. He traumatized Diego Laxalt, the left-wing urugayen.

During the final It is at the origin of the 3rd goal and then marks the 4th. He is young and still has to progress on some points but he is already a machine. He put 30 goals in leagues for 26 games played and a few as a substitute. He plays number 9 only since January. And has already scored 14 goals in champions.

Home of Barca Fans