Jorge Sampaoli

BBZ8800

1. You said he had no league titles --> Go to Sampaoli Wikipedia and click on 'Honours' and see what shows up.

2. Your arguments are random percentages and made up stats or biased stats

3. Do I need to remind you about your PM again? Please apply that golden rule to yourself and your arguments before pushing it on others, thanks.

You are funky tonight, Don.

Anyway, about point no1, I see only this:
Honours[hide]
Copa América
Copa América
Winner 2015 Chile Team

Unless if my Wikipedia is showing different results or if I don't understand what it says here, I see only NT honors.
What are his CLUB's results and LEAGUE titles won with a club in a classic league championship (round robin system)? I don't see anything.

Again, my apologies if I still can't see it.

Antimilan

I am done here. You quoting me but not even reacting to my points. Seems useless trying to keep up a discussion.

Yeah, because you want to hear: SAMPAOLI IS THE BEST EVER AND HE HAS MADE SEVILLA A PERFECT TEAM.... but you won't hear that from anyone ever, unless it is proven to be so, which isn't thus far.

With having a soft spot for Barca as my second favorite team, I hope they don't get him. As a Sevilla fan, I really don't mind as long as he's not near our club.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
How many people have said anything good about Valverde in this forum? How many even voted for anyone but Sampaoli in the poll here on this site? If 80% of this forum is talking about Sampaoli greatness and Valverde weaknesses and I haven't been even an advocate of any coach it is normal my replay will be more about balancing the discussion by pointing out what isn't said
And who you were expecting to finish 4th? again I was expecting AM to under achieve and that is why I thought Seville will finish 3rd.but let's forget about AM here since both of us agree that 3rd place is an achievement. so who did you expect to finish 4th?
And let me just know if Sociedad team is good or bad,one time you say Valverde is underachieving when he has Sevilla.Sociedad,Villarreal above him,other time Sevilla isn't far superior than those

The way to start a discussion about someone's coaching ability is to start it....and not stay quiet and complain about what others believe and said afterwards. If you opened a Sampaoli v Valverde v Koeman thread or made a post discussing all their strengths and flaws, I'm sure you would have gotten at least a few replies analyzing their sample record and doubts regarding them. I would have loved to contribute in that instead of scattering my posts around the entire forum about my thoughts on Koeman's taskmaster style and Cruyff/LVG influence, Sampaoli's European Experience and Valverde's youth development and lack of coaching egos.

I was expecting Villarreal to finish 4th and Atletico to do better despite their yet another CL final loss, as they improved their squad and Saul gained in experience. After the season Sevilla had in the league last season, there was no way I had them as sure bet on top 4. They might have signed a few players, but also lost important ones in Gameiro, Krychowiak, Banega, Coke.

Eusebio has done a good job with Real Sociedad who got a very decent squad too and I'm not saying Valverde has done a terrible job(why else would I have him as my 2nd option for the job?) and they have been on a rise lately, but he also got a pretty good squad and with the way they've played with launching a dozen crosses every game even without Aduriz and Raul Garcia, they have not performed as well as you'd think they would. Especially away. They've been terrible away.

If you put Villarreal, Sevilla, Athletic, Villarreal's 1st XI together, you'd see that the difference in quality isn't as big as you make it sound to be.

You are funky tonight, Don.

Anyway, about point no1, I see only this:
Honours[hide]
Copa América
Copa América
Winner 2015 Chile Team

Unless if my Wikipedia is showing different results or if I don't understand what it says here, I see only NT honors.
What are his CLUB's results and LEAGUE titles won with a club in a classic league championship (round robin system)? I don't see anything.

Again, my apologies if I still can't see it.

Well, I am a funky guy and it's getting quite late here in Europe right now as you know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Sampaoli#Honors ---> Club

Perhaps you didn't use the English wikipedia.

In fact, the Spanish one is even more specific

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Sampaoli

Again, not saying he is a savior, but just think he should be compared to the other options we have. Valverde, Unzue and Koeman.

You can argue his lack of European experience count against him, but to paint a different picture and say his only achievment is a 14-day tournament is just factually wrong.

Last edited:

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
Sevilla's current poor run in form is likely at least partially fueled by the intense media speculation about Sampaoli's future following Lucho's confirmation that he will leave at the end of the season.

Yeah, because you want to hear: SAMPAOLI IS THE BEST EVER AND HE HAS MADE SEVILLA A PERFECT TEAM.... but you won't hear that from anyone ever, unless it is proven to be so, which isn't thus far.

With having a soft spot for Barca as my second favorite team, I hope they don't get him. As a Sevilla fan, I really don't mind as long as he's not near our club.

Who do you hope we get then?

The only names I can think of are Koeman and Valverde.

DonAK

In the end, this Sampaoli to Barcelona discussion is pointless since he's reportedly on verge of signing a new contract with them and will likely go on to manage Argentina after the WC, I assume.

The remaining option seem to be Ernesto Valverde, Ronald Koeman and Juan Carlos Unzue and from those three, I'm going with Valverde right now and starting to warm up a bit to Koeman.

Don't think Unzue should be getting the job.

khaled_a_d

The way to start a discussion about someone's coaching ability is to start it....and not stay quiet and complain about what others believe and said afterwards. If you opened a Sampaoli v Valverde v Koeman thread or made a post discussing all their strengths and flaws, I'm sure you would have gotten at least a few replies analyzing their sample record and doubts regarding them.

1-We agree to disagree on other points,we clearly have different views on other teams
2-
He really needs to keep 3rd place in Liga if he wants his 1st season to be considered a real success story.
Getting out of CL by a far inferior team isn't a successful CL campaign

That is my 1st post ,I pointed out to a coach quality in his own thread,didn't do it in other thread to avoid such discussion,you decided to drag me to comparison's for no whatever reason. mentioning Valverde. the discussion went this way so don't put that on me. I didn't want it to do it this way.

Last edited:

BBZ8800

Well, I am a funky guy and it's getting quite late here in Europe right now as you know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Sampaoli#Honors ---> Club

Perhaps you didn't use the English wikipedia.

In fact, the Spanish one is even more specific

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jorge_Sampaoli

Again, not saying he is a savior, but just think he should be compared to the other options we have. Valverde, Unzue and Koeman.

You can argue his lack of European experience count against him, but to paint a different picture and say his only achievment is a 14-day tournament is just factually wrong.

My bad.
I see it now for the first time, a part with Universidad Chile.

So, he won a league title there, well again, my bad. I was reading a main article and there was zero mention of that part.

Ok, since he have 1 league title, he won 1 point in my eyes.
So, he knows how to win a league competition, that is an important part.

Now we can talk about not being connected with Barca, a lack of European experience and his current lack of calmness as a coach (2 red cards).

DonAK

Tata fucking things up from the grave. What a pathetic board.

More like Rosell fucking up things. You know who he wanted initially? Scolari :lol:

In fact, Rosell according to Scolari himself tried to convince Laporta to sack Rijkaard and appoint him during the 2003-04 season.

Last edited:

Mitchell1978

He has quality but to me he seems to nervous and emotional to be a coach at Barcelona.
He will burn himself out in no time then.

FC B

Sevilla's drop in form and overall play is the reason they got knockedout from CL. They also missed a lot of chances in this tie, made individual errors, missed pks and so on and those cannot be put on Sampaoli, not at all.

I continue to advocate for Sampaoli at Barca but this board seems way to dumb for such a move. Rumours say it might just be Unzue :facepalm:

Antimilan

Sevilla's drop in form and overall play is the reason they got knockedout from CL. They also missed a lot of chances in this tie, made individual errors, missed pks and so on and those cannot be put on Sampaoli, not at all.

I continue to advocate for Sampaoli at Barca but this board seems way to dumb for such a move. Rumours say it might just be Unzue :facepalm:

Sampaoli failed to instill discipline in the team, which led to having 8 different penalty takers and 4 crucial penalties consecutively missed, 2 just against Leicester over both legs. Sampaoli rested Nasri for 2 weeks without a cause, 1 week he was suspended, 1 week he had an extra rest just because he wanted to retain the "superstar" status.
Sampaoli approached the first leg with conservative tactics and the tie wasn't killed off, huge mistake. Sampaoli tried to approach the second leg just like the match vs. Lyon... wait for the opponent and remain hopeful that they do not score, while trying to somehow do something.

Sampaoli doesn't have a Plan B. Sampaoli relies on Argentinians a lot and he gives a lot of minutes to a pathetic player like Kranevitter who lacks the necessary skills to be a starter at Sevilla, every Sevillista hates Kranevitter.

Sampaoli couldn't solve the back-passing problem for the entire season. Still a lot of the conceded goals come from abysmal back-passing due to either CB's or midfielders being forced to error because of lack of players to pass, tactical failure.

Need more? Just ask.

Antimilan

Positives:

I love Sampaoli's passion. It made me like him as a person from the moment he came here. He is crazy about this sport, sleeps and breathes football.

However, if he will not be ready to fix the mistakes he's made this season, then the club should bid farewell after the end of his contract in summer 2018.

First year in Europe is always tough, but one has to do what it takes to make things right. I remain hopeful that we finish at least 4th this season. Anything b elow that and there's nothing to build on for the coming season. Key players will leave, experimental players will come, no more Monchi's magic wand (most likely leaving in summer) etc.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
More like Rosell fucking up things. You know who he wanted initially? Scolari :lol:

In fact, Rosell according to Scolari himself tried to convince Laporta to sack Rijkaard and appoint him during the 2003-04 season.

And Laporta wanted Beckham but failed and then Rosell signed Ronaldinho.

Home of Barca Fans