Jorge Sampaoli

BBZ8800

I'm sorry, but it's not Sampaoli vs Ancelotti here. It's Sampaoli versus guys who have way poorer results, like Valverde, Eusebio, Koeman. What did this guys do in Europe?

Sevilla being knocked out vs Leicester serving as a proof for why we shouldn't get Sampaoli is a stretch, considered it's 2 games we are talking about, and that Sevilla missed 2 pens and a lot of other chances in the first leg. Leicester are the Champions of England, beat both City and Liverpool this season. It was a close tie to begin with, and not as one sided as one might think.

I think Sevilla's squad is overrated myself.

Koeman won 2 league titles in his career.

Sampaoli won NT tournaments which last 10-14 days.
In league competitions he has zero experience in Europe, and he never done anything special in a team where a tournament lasts for more than 14 days.
On club's level, Koeman is far superior to Sampaoli.

Sampaoli has NT success (In South America, btw) and his teams playing beautiful.
He is yet to achieve anything special on club's level, in a league tournament, and in Europe.

khaled_a_d

I don't get this talk about a savior or 'The savior'. This is where there are double standards when it comes to judging a coach. No one has talked about a savior, rather about who the best choice is.

Some are talking like we got Pep, Conte, Ancelotti lined up.

Who are our options? Valverde, Unzue, Koeman, Eusebio and Sampaoli.

Valverde's experience in Europe hasn't exactly been stellar either although he is an experienced La Liga coach. Unzue was a head coach for one season in Segunda. Koeman is a different case while Eusebio is having his first season at top level with Real Sociedad.

People want a larger sample size from Sampaoli when the only sample size some other options like Unzue and Eusebio has is being a part of the Barcelona and Barcelona B staff one way or another, but still, no top level coaching.

See my post to Sergei,I don't agree that it is just people think he is the best candidate between bad ones
The double standard come when you give someone benefit of the doubt but not the other. Point to someone strengths but refuses to acknowledge the other.
This has happened massively between Sampaoli and almost every other candidate.Many here didn't acknowledge his shortcoming,undermined how small sample size in Europe is too risky,how his way in training a team need to be judged on long term because there is danger in running player out of gas and losing ability to motivate players on long term,never mind playing down importance to link to Barca as a club. He has been given benefit of the doubts of all those points and many counter argument has been developed against it.
Valverde?all what I see that he is a bad coach(he isn't btw),or how he failed in Valencia(like there has been any one who succeeded here in decade) or his character etc.
Look,I don't know who deserve being Barca coach and yes there is no clear fron runner and considering all factor Sampaoli might end being the best fit (depending on how he finish the season,sorry but bad end to season should really remove him from the list) but since the game in November people have been over reacting about how gr8 he is,at least that is my perspective from this forum. I think it is time to acknowledge his limitation too and stop acting like it is black or white

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Koeman won 3 league titles in his career.

In league competitions he has zero experience in Europe, and he never done anything special in a team where a tournament lasts for more than 14 days.

Sampaoli has NT success (In South America, btw) and his teams playing beautiful.
He is yet to achieve anything special on club's level, in a league tournament, and in Europe.

His big success at club level in Chile is the reason he got the Chile National Team job in the first place. He developed almost half of that Chile team. You might want to read more about him before making any conclusions if you don't know his history.

Unless you're talking only about Europe, but then it is a failed comparison to compare Koeman vs a guy in his first season here.

See my post to Sergei,I don't agree that it is just people think he is the best candidate between bad ones
The double standard come when you give someone benefit of the doubt but not the other. Point to someone strengths but refuses to acknowledge the other.
This has happened massively between Sampaoli and almost every other candidate.Many here didn't acknowledge his shortcoming,undermined how small sample size in Europe is too risky,how his way in training a team need to be judged on long term because there is danger in running player out of gas and losing ability to motivate players on long term,never mind playing down importance to link to Barca as a club. He has been given benefit of the doubts of all those points and many counter argument has been developed against it.
Valverde?all what I see that he is a bad coach(he isn't btw),or how he failed in Valencia(like there has been any one who succeeded here in decade) or his character etc.
Look,I don't know who deserve being Barca coach and yes there is no clear fron runner and considering all factor Sampaoli might end being the best fit (depending on how he finish the season,sorry but bad end to season should really remove him from the list) but since the game in November people have been over reacting about how gr8 he is,at least that is my perspective from this forum. I think it is time to acknowledge his limitation too and stop acting like it is black or white

Then you should point out Valverde's strengths and flaws and stop painting everything with the same brush.

As I mentioned previously, Valverde likes his team to press high and he's good at developing young players, although as I just pointed out again, he doesn't have the best European record either and has not managed big egos, yet I still prefer him over everyone else. Unzue and Eusebio got no top level experience. They have not coached any World Class or very good players or have any sort of sample size.

Also, once again, Sevilla's squad is vastly inferior to Atletico's and not much superior to Villarreal, Real Sociedad and Athletic Bilbao. Even if this team ends at 4th place, it is still a massive improvement from last season, especially considering they have given us and Madrid a ride for our money.

If you think that should write him off from the list then it is your opinion and you'e entitled to it, but then you're holding him to standards no one expected from him or this Sevilla squad this season. If anything they have exceeded expectations with the way they have performed this season.

As you said yourself, need to stop acting like everything is black and white and just look at the table position.

Last edited:

serghei

Koeman won 2 league titles in his career.

There are league titles and league titles. Steven McLarren has won the title in Eredivisie. I think finishing on 3rd place with Sevilla, if he does it, and automatic CL group stage qualification is bigger than winning the title in Eredivisie with Ajax for example.

Just like a top 4 finish with Everton would be more impressive from Koeman than all the titles he won in the lesser leagues.

BBZ8800

His big success at club level in Chile is the reason he got the Chile National Team job in the first place. He developed almost half of that Chile team.

Unless you're talking only about Europe, but then it is a failed comparison to compare Koeman vs a guy in his first season here.

I haven't followed Sampaoli until a few Months ago.
About his success in Chile, I have read only on internet and on Wikipedia.
I haven't seen any amazing success there.
This is a full text of his club's career in Chile:
"First hit at Peru
In January 2002, Sampaoli was contacted by the Peruvian club Juan Aurich, after four seasons at Primera B Metropolitana with Argentino. He finally signed up with the club of Chiclayo in Primera División, being that the first professional club in his career.[2] On February 24, he directed his first professional game against Universitario (country's powerhouse club), where he lost 2–1 after being winning the whole game due to a Penalty kick well scored by Carlos Flores (66th' minute), when the striker and his compatriot Martín Vilallonga due to another penalty tied the game (88th' minute). Finally, the mythical and experienced midfielder José del Solar set up his side at 92nd' minute. However, Sampaoli had a poor spell in Juan Aurich, directing only eight games, where five were lost and two were tied with Coopsol Trujillo and Alianza Lima, only winning against Cienciano 2–0 with goals of César Sánchez and Carlos Flores. Sampaoli left the club in May, when Aurich was sitting at the bottom of the table.[3] Months later, in June, he was hired by Sport Boys to direct the team in the Torneo Descentralizado, debuting with a 2–0 victory over Coronel Bolognesi, finishing sixth in the tournament, with important triumphs over Alianza (1–0 with a goal of Alfredo Carmona) and Universitario (2–0 with scores of Paolo de la Haza and Carmona again at Estadio Monumental). Then, in 2004, he was hired by Tacna side Coronel Bolognesi. There, he had an irregular start, but soon managed to settle as a strong team in the Peruvian 2005's Descentralizado, finishing 5th in the Apertura, and then managed to finish 3rd in that same year's Clausura, taking the club to their first international competition when Bolo qualified to a preliminar stage of the 2006's Copa Sudamericana, being eliminated by Chilean side and eventual finalists Colo-Colo. He then returned to the Peruvian side to compete in the 2006's Clausura as well as in the Sudamericana, finishing 3rd in the national league. In 2007 he was hired as the head coach of Sporting Cristal. However, it turned out to be a disappointing year after 17 matches and only 4 wins. At the end of the year Sampaoli got dismissed from the "Celestes", thus ending his Peruvian journey.

Spells in Chile and Ecuador[edit]
Towards the end of 2007 Sampaoli arrived to Chile to take charge of O'Higgins. In 2008, the team proved to be a tough nut to crack for bigger Chilean teams, finishing 3rd in that year's Apertura. They were eliminated by powerhouse Universidad de Chile in the playoff quarterfinals. The next year turned out to be a tough year for Sampaoli, as "La Celeste" had an irregular campaign, where they finished in 8th place, and, despite qualifying to the 2009's Apertura Playoffs, ended up being thrashed 6-1 in the second leg of the quarterfinals by Santiago side Unión Española. Sampaoli was fired in August 2009.

In 2010, Emelec got in contact with Sampaoli and asked him for his managerial duties, thus competing in the 2010 Copa Libertadores, being eliminated in the group stage, but had an impressive run in the local competition, finishing 1st in the 2010's tournament first stage, which earned them a spot in the next 2010 Copa Sudamericana and 2011 Copa Libertadores preliminary stage. That year, Emelec faced Liga de Quito, who had reached 1st place in that year's second half, but ended up losing it."

** No league titles, no insanely good results or some insane consistency.
He is awesome as NT coach, but there have been other coaches over years who were awesome in NT teams, but quite average in club's career.

My apologize if I don't know something about Sampaoli, but for now I don't see any world-class club's result (especially in a 10-Month league competition) from him.

JamDav1982

The Sevilla team from the moment they went 2-0 up in this tie played into Leicester hands.

They would have been better served trying to protect that lead a bit more as playing open and allowing Leicester to hit them on break played right into their hands.

Did exact same tonight.

serghei

The Sevilla team from the moment they went 2-0 up in this tie played into Leicester hands.

They would have been better served trying to protect that lead a bit more as playing open and allowing Leicester to hit them on break played right into their hands.

Did exact same tonight.

The goal Leicester scored in Spain came from their only chance. It was a case of bad finishing. With more careful finishing, Sevilla would have wrapped up the tie in the first leg. Hell, they could have been 3-0 up at HT on Pizjuan.

Leicester was Chelsea-level lucky to escape with a 1-2 loss from Spain.

JamDav1982

The goal Leicester scored in England came from their only chance. It was a case of bad finishing. With more careful finishing, Sevilla would have wrapped up the tie in the first leg. Hell, they could have been 3-0 up at HT on Pizjuan.

May have been their only chance and they only really tried to go forward when game went to 2-0 and about their only means of attack was on the break which Sevilla left open for them.

Leicester won a league title taking the one or two chances they created it is nothing new.

They approached it same way tonight and are now out.

Blaugrana Bull

HiiiPoWeR
You can have the "tactical genius" in the summer.

Your players let your club and Sampaoli down. A coach can't score those penalties or other clear chances by himself.
What was the last time you were in third place in March and basically should be waiting for Quarters draw now if not for huge fuck ups?

Home of Barca Fans