Santiago Bueno

xXKonan

I'm wondering if Robert sees him as a potential longterm replacement for Pique. It seems he's a similar type of CB to Pique and they probably won't be the best fit to play together. Maybe he'll surprise and develop quickly but at 18 he's probably 2-3 seasons away from having a place in our first team. While I think Pique with his playing style can play at top level until 34-35 if he stays healthy it's probably time to start looking and trying out his potential replacements in the future.

So that probably means even if Marlon is promoted (and he could get loaned out) we could still go for someone like Yerry Mina, Davinson Sanchez or Lemos in summer, because we'll most likely need 2 new CBs over the next season and half with Mathieu and also Masche possibly leaving. Although I'm not sure if they (Mina, Sanchez, Lemos) really are as much more developed and experienced at higher level than Marlon that would negate their adaptation period in comparision to Marlon who has already trained and also played some games for Barça.
I like that we are doing this early in finding and developing a possible Pique successor down the line.

I see Umtiti as Mascherano's successor if he keeps up his performances so far this season and he keeps improving. Marlon and Bueno and possibly 1 out of (Sanchez,Lemos,Mina) and if their development goes smoothly we could have a solid Pique successor without having to spend huge cash on a CB in the coming years.

Well that's what I'm hoping anyway.

God Serena

Is he a RCB or a LCB? Robert should know this kid won't be able to form a partnership with Marlon if he's right footed, just ask Tarin.

El Barcelona

Interesting signing. Buy them before they play by other big teams with big wages, risky but we need this kind of transfers.

xXKonan

He's a Right footed CB.

He's also played as a DM in some cases as well. but I doubt he will play there for us.

xXKonan

A Penarol fan (gastonpenarol) on the Barca reddit shared his thoughts on Bueno.

He is a tall, fast, physical player that wins everything in the air and is pretty good at playing the ball out from the back (which is rare in a Uruguayan center back). He is very good with the ball at his feet (ex: dribbling and passing) for his size and position and is a threat in the air when attacking though he hasn't had much experience playing first division football. He has impressed quite a bit in the academy teams and the youth national team so I hope everything works out for him.

xXKonan

I read that some Uruguayan commentators consider him the next Diego Godin.

but technically speaking his play style is more in line with Pique than someone like Godin. I don't watch the Uruguayan Leagues but from what I've read from some folks who do say it's pretty rare to find a young ball playing CB there because they focus more on developing tough no nonsense type CB's Like Godin and Giménez.

Bueno and Lemos look like a change of pace in regards to Uruguayan CB's and I can't wait to see Bueno's evolution here and to see if he got what it takes to make that next step to the first team in the following seasons.

Messi983

A Penarol fan (gastonpenarol) on the Barca reddit shared his thoughts on Bueno.

There is another comment on reddit that's not quite as positive.

I've personally seen this guy play a few times (u17, u20 Uruguay and Peñarol) and I don't think he has any standout potential to play for Barcelona B even. He is tall and somewhat decent with his feet, but remember Uruguayan Football does not involve playing with the feet like in the Argentine league, so his feet ball play will always stand out in such a league. You will see his flaws in a more competitive league such as Spain. He is currently benched for the U20 Sudamericano being played in Ecuador right now. If he was so different he would be playing over the other players period. Barcelona might be able to further educate him to develop technique to become a formative player so only time will tell.

We'll see how he'll develop but we can't really do much wrong with these type of deals. If he turns out Bueno then great if not we won't lose too much.

khaled_a_d

Is he a RCB or a LCB? Robert should know this kid won't be able to form a partnership with Marlon if he's right footed, just ask Tarin.

I think that depends on the player himself,if Bueno is comfortable playing LCB it is no problem.

Welcome!

We already have Rcb in Marlon so this is a bit out of the blue.

btw,shouldn't this thread be moved to Barca B forum?

khaled_a_d

There is another comment on reddit that's not quite as positive.

We'll see how he'll develop but we can't really do much wrong with these type of deals. If he turns out Bueno then great if not we won't lose too much.

100% agree,for now he is Juvenil A/Barca B signing.The academy isn't doing well in this position and when it does it seem players get injured(Munisia & Tarin) so it is only logical to buy players from outside,this deal shouldn't even alter the way we thought about signing young CB directly for 1st team for example. Would still like to get one of Lemos or Davinson
He barely played in top flight their despite being in one of worst teams in the league so I think even those from Uruguay don't know much about him,he clearly has physical tools to be good CB from what I've seen but that doesn't mean he has the talent,brain & Mentality to succeed. Him not playing starter in U-20 team is worrisome but let's remember he is probably one of the youngest in the team,if he was 2 months younger he would have been eligible to play in 2019 U-20 WC too. And Busquets never get called for youth team for example.

navidjaan

People talk about him as a potential Pique successor, but for me that is Cadet A captain Eric Garcia, 16. Got everything to make it big at Barça.

Messi983

Him not playing starter in U-20 team is worrisome

I've checked how much he really played and that reddit opinion I posted above about Bueno being benched is a bit misleading.

First, you must know that competition format in SA Sub 20 championship is really physically exhausting. Teams are first playing 4 games in group stage in 9 days (Januar 19-27).

- Bueno has played in Uruguay's first game against Venezuela which ended 0-0 as a RB (if this formation here is reliable http://estadisticas.conmebol.com/ht...es.futbol.sudamericanosub20.385919&lang=es_LA )
- he was then on the bench for second game against Argentina in a 3-3 draw
- then he played 3rd game against Peru (2-0 win for Uruguay)
- and he also played last group stage game against Bolivia (3-0 win)

So they got 7 out of 9 points in games he did play in and they didn't concede a goal. And they conceded 3 goals in one game he didn't play.

Of course that doesn't mean much as for all we know he could not play well and they could still win/not concede but it's probably a good sign for a defender if his team don't concede a goal when he's playing.

In final stage there are 6 teams that play against each other again, so there are another 5 games in 13 days (January 30 - February 11). Probably no player - especially at that young age - can play all those games so rotations are needed.

Bueno was on the bench in Uruguay's 3-0 win over Argentina on Monday so that's probably the game that reddit poster talked about. They play again tomorrow vs Brazil and I assume he'll play. I'll try and watch the game if he'll start.

People talk about him as a potential Pique successor, but for me that is Cadet A captain Eric Garcia, 16. Got everything to make it big at Barça.

Yeah, I remember you talked about him highly before. But you can never know how kids will develop so it's better to prepare 3 or 4 possible replacements than having none when we'll need someone to step in for Pique.

xXKonan

[tw]826753882952974336[/tw]

If transfermarkt is accurate he has a total of 16 caps for the Uruguay U-20, since March 23,2016.

Home of Barca Fans