Òscar García Junyent

navidjaan

Former Barça player, currently coach.

maxresdefault.jpg

History:

2009–2010: Catalonia (Cruyff's assistant)
2010–2012: La Masia (Juvenil A)
2012–2013: Maccabi Tel Aviv
2013–2014: Brighton & Hove Albion
2014: Maccabi Tel Aviv
2014: Watford
2015–: Red Bull Salzburg

Juande Ramos' contract at Malaga has been terminated and Òscar García is, according to MARCA and local Malaga radio, the #1 option for the job now is Òscar. Huge potential as a coach, with success spells at all the places he has coached. Should've been Luis Enrique's replacement at Barça B after winning The Treble with Juvenil A in his first season in 2010-11, but Zubi chose Eusebio and Òscar left Barça for Maccabi Tel Aviv where he was hired by their director of sports Jordi Cruyff (he has good Cruyff family relations).

One can't help but wonder if Malaga would be a step towards becoming first team coach at Barça. We'll see what happens. In any case, it would be great with another former Barça youth player and coach in La Liga after Eusebio's recent success at Sociedad. Would also mean a solid place for Barça to loan out players if they continue that policy.

More:
- https://siemprecastro.wordpress.com/2013/07/26/oscar-garcia-passionate-manager-with-a-philosophy/
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bSEJaNPkVU
- http://www.redbullsalzburg.at/en/fc...r-garcia-thats-what-makes-you-a-real-man.html

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
GL to him.

I remember him as a player coming up in late 90s and his brother Roger.
Also watched his Salzburg play few times as my Dinamo played them in CL qualifiers twice and was impressed with the way his team played.

khaled_a_d

They won't let him go it seems.
Btw how is his health right now? I remember he had some health issues (cardiac I think) couple of years ago

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
He's fine. Shouldn't hinder his career in any way.

Ståle Solbakken suffered a cardiac arrest when he was a footballer and was 'dead' for 7 minutes. Had to operate in a pacemaker and retired instantly, but has then gone on to become a coach and the guy is incredibly passionate and vocal on the sidelines.

xXKonan

[tw]837703930477948933[/tw]

Apparently the favorite for Valencia to take over as manager.

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
This is good. There is no guarantee Xavi will become a coach any time soon and in case our next one don't stay for more than 3 years, we will need someone else in between and Oscar Garcia could be perfect should he do well at Valencia, even if Valencia usually is poison chalice.

Why they never give the job to Voro who always rescues the club as a caretaker is mind blowing though.

Messi983

This is good. There is no guarantee Xavi will become a coach any time soon and in case our next one don't stay for more than 3 years, we will need someone else in between and Oscar Garcia could be perfect should he do well at Valencia, even if Valencia usually is poison chalice.

Why they never give the job to Voro who always rescues the club as a caretaker is mind blowing though.

I agree he deserves a chance but they probably don't want to give him a permanent job because then they wouldn't have any capable caretaker if Voro would fail. And in their current position they need that since they almost always change their coach at least once during the season.

For that reason I also don't know how good Valencia really would be for Oscar. It would probably be better for him going to a more stable club. Let him go to Sevilla when Sampaoli joins us. :)

michelco

Voro doesn't want to be a coach fulltime. For whatever reasons, he's never publically declared. He might've changed his mind this time around though.

What kind of coach is Oscar? In terms of playing style, man manegement and such?

Messi983

Voro doesn't want to be a coach fulltime. For whatever reasons, he's never publically declared. He might've changed his mind this time around though.

What kind of coach is Oscar? In terms of playing style, man manegement and such?

Cruyff's disciple. Possesion style football, will give a chance to homegrown players.

Here are some quotes from Óscar regarding his playing style and philosophy:

“You need the ball, but to also know what to do with it. The ball has to run, but it doesn’t mean that the player has to run as much as it, even though it’s evident the player must be very well prepared to enter such dynamic. You need physical work with a great focus on the right mentality. You must be really prepared for it and must be willing to give your best for the idea. When you see how the players respond is when you know you got things right.”

“You get things right as a coach and leader when you see the players are involved. They are always positive around you. You can ask them for 10, and they give you 12. You can notice it in their eyes when they arrive for training. And when the training session is done, there are some who stay to “practice”. Such things, small details, are what matters most when the actual match starts. And I was raised like that, since I was in La Masia.”

https://grup14.com/column/oscar-garcia-his-career-as-a-player-and-unfair-departure-from-barcelona

He'd probably be a good fit for Valencia to develop youngsters like Soler and Santi Mina but I'm affraid he'd be sacked after 5 or 10 games if things wouldn't work out quickly for him. Of course his good relationship with Alesanco could be in Oscar's favour but at the end of the day it's still Lim's decision to hire/sack coaches.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Wouldn't mind Oscar. We need to start rebuilding and involve our youth.

Don't think Bartomeu/Roberto have balls to pick Oscar though. It'll be Valverde or Koeman.

Home of Barca Fans