Barca 2016 summer signings

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
barca-signings-1478616532773.jpg

Stumbled upon piece on Sport which said that of 6 Barca signings this summer only Denis and Umtiti impressed so far.

Would you agree?

Imo. Umtiti, Denis and Digne are doing well not exactly impressing (5/5). While Gomes, Paco and Jasper have been flops so far.

Devils

So far...

Great: Umtiti

Good: Digne

Okay: Denis and Gomes

Flop: Paco

Hasn't played enough to be ranked: Jasper

khaled_a_d

Way too early,but so far I like our signings.
Denis has been good,very useful player to have
Umtiti has been a natural fit,gr8 signing
Digne is very good back up LB we have missed for a long time.
Jasper hasn't played enough,but overall I think he is very good for a back up GK,was unlucky with his inury as I think he could have had couple of extra games without it.still probably overpaid for a GK
Gomes & Paco will determine how good our summer.I think if one of them lived to his potential then this is a gr8 summer.Gomes showed glimpses of talent and he has a lot of tool and probably a bit unfair to call him a flop.
Paco has been trying hard but he has been unlucky so far,I still believe as a player he is a big upgrade on what we had last year but he isn't shown that so far. He is playing like Sandro when he was here while Sandro himself playing like Paco when he was at Valencia

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
You really think Paco tried hard? To me he just looked lost. Munir was the one for who I'd say he was trying hard.

khaled_a_d

Don't think that looking lost doesn't mean he didn't try hard. Munir & specially Sandro for that matter tried hard and looked lost too.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
It's just that Munir pressed way more and we often saw him defending at the back.

PhilS

So far, Paco has made me miss Munir, a lot. Hope to see better.

Umtiti is a gem, a major find.

Denis is still developing, but he looks like a Barca midfielder. I think he will be in the first team for many years.

Gomes, don't know. He's only 23.

Digne, needs to not get beat so often marking man to man.

Jasper, has not looked too good in very limited playing time.

Horatio

You're welcome
[MENTION=2]Bojan[/MENTION] BBZ put it in the Luis Enrique thread.

Would rate the signings so far 5.5/10 and could raise depending how some develop.

Overall I think the forum is overreacting to the signings. It's far too early to tell if this has been a bad or good transfer policy. We will probably know in January-February.

Last edited:

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Found it

I don't know where to post this, so I'll try here.
An article from sport regarding our 6 expensive signings from this summer: (Google translate):
"After more than one hundred million investment, only two players have serious options to be headlines (Umtiti and Denis)

FC Barcelona bet strong in this market last summer. The objective of the technical secretariat and of Luis Enrique was to improve the performance of the staff and to sign a real wardrobe fund to face all the competitions with the maximum guarantees.

The investment exceeded 100 million euros with the acquisition of important players like Paco Alcacer cache or André Gomes. After passing the first quarter of the season, some signings have surprised, others are almost unpublished and some are costing them too much adaptation although they do not look like they can fight for the title.

Only two approved with note, Samuel Umtiti and Denis Suarez, two players who may have a long run in the future of Barca team.

CILLESSEN (4)
Jasper Cillessen arrived at FC Barcelona with the sole mission of being understudy Ter Stegen and its role has not changed nor will vary in the future. Barca invested over 10 million euros in a goalkeeper who has only played a league match due to injury and was German keeper. Curiously, the Dutch goal conceded two goals in the painful defeat against Alaves. In principle role will have a testimonial unless unexpected casualties Ter Stegen and will be the goalkeeper in the Copa del Rey.

DIGNE (5)
The left - back has had more prominence than expected because of the injury Jordi Alba , which has led him to be a starter in big games like Manchester City. The Frenchman is fulfilling without even though his benefits, for now, do not improve to those of the Spanish international. Fair on defense and weak in attack. He is young and able to improve, but other players like Portuguese Guerreiro would have given better performance at a lower price. He has played 7 league games and 554 minutes and 2 Champions League games with 170 minutes.

UMTITI (8)
Samuel Umtiti is the big surprise of the season . Barça had spent a lot of time and money spent searching for a guarantee center and it seems that, in the end, the club has found the ideal footballer. Umtiti has not been easy since he has been injured and has been seen as the leader of the defense by the absence of Pique and Mathieu becoming the head of the defense despite being a newcomer. He has personality, is fast, handles the ball well and his physique is imposing. It seems that Barça will have central for a while thanks to the technical success. 6 League games (521 minutes), 3 Champions League games (270 minutes).

DENIS SUÁREZ
It was the most controlled signing of all. Formed already in the Barça, the Galician soccer player returned with the experience enough to triumph in the Camp Nou. It has a total Barça style and an indisputable technical quality. It has cost him nothing to adapt even though he has too much competition in his position. It is a safe bet for the future if Luis Enrique continues to rely on him. In Sevilla played a great game and showed that he is to fight for the title. 10 league games (459 minutes).

ANDRÉ GOMES (5)
The Portuguese was one of the obsessions of Luis Enrique, in love with his game since he came to Valencia. No one doubts their quality, but André is used to playing as a double pivot position at the club does not exist. André Gomes does not feel comfortable as interior and the position Busquets comes something big. You must adapt his game to the characteristics of the Barca team with fewer lines and more touch. It has potential, but everything will depend on its ability to adapt. 7 league games (345 minutes) and 3 Champions League games (176 minutes).

PACO ALCÁCER (4)
Barca risked a lot during the summer saying publicly that one of his priority transfers was the front quarter. The technical secretariat put a lot of pressure and finally chose to incorporate a player already contrasted in the Spanish market leaving aside other bets from abroad. A '9' could fall quickly signed bands. Paco Alcacer knew it was coming . With those from top to top I would play very little and that is what is happening. The lack of competitive rhythm makes you play too hasty. He is a good player, but he will have very few minutes and his price was very high. 7 league games (269 minutes). 1 of Champions (54 minutes).

BBZ8800

So far...

Great: Umtiti

Good: Digne

Okay: Denis and Gomes

Flop: Paco

Hasn't played enough to be ranked: Jasper

Imo:
Umtiti 8
Gomes 6
Denis 6
Digne 5
Paco 2
Cillessen -

Overall judgement for now: we spent too much money for depth and we didn't improve too much for now (only Umtiti is an improvement).
Other players are only squad players for now. It can change, though.

If other 5 players won't improve soon, I can see our team spending big again in this summer of 2017 and in a summer of 2018.
Especially if we'll have dry seasons in terms of trophies.

Also, in that case, a club probably won't buy 6 youngsters with potential anymore, but 2-3-4 already proven players for huge amounts.
We tried to risk this time, if the risk won't turn out good, we'll return soon on splashing money on proven, expensive players.

raminho

From 0 to 10

Umtiti 9 - Pure greatness, some mistakes sure but overall a VERY positive signing.
Digne 7 - To me he's shown a lot of quality for LB rotation. He's made some decent crosses to the box also but sure he's no Alba when going forward.
Denis 7 - Sevilla match was great. He's also shown glimpses of the good potential before, so I'm anxious to see what's in store for him.
Gomes 6 - Seems so slow on the ball that he's a real threat against high pressing teams. Has played some good games when positioned as a CDM.
Paco 2 - Makes me miss Munir or even Sandro, I'm just hoping for someone who makes better runs and is available on the wings too.

Cillessen ?

gasgas

Umtiti-9 brilliant, potential starter
Denis-7.546 good, needs to learn to keep the ball more
Digne-6.5 fair. Gets beaten too often by the wingers
Gomes- 6.345 good passer but too slow
Cillesen-3.2
Paco- 1.43 useless

Total-Football

Umtiti-8 great attitude , i'm not sure about his " finesse " .. abidal didn't have it and acquired it later hope umtiti too
Denis- 8 good .. but arda is stealing his minutes .. i blame the manager for that
Digne 7.5 reliable back up
Gomes 7 he has the package he needs to take initiative ..
Cillesen - ( not given enough minutes )
Paco - ( not give enough minutes )

Home of Barca Fans