Chess

Total-Football

once a very popular sport .. peaked during the Karpov vs Kasparov classic world championship encounters ..

sad such a beautiful sport is quit underrated ..

thought about creating this thread for both talking about the sport and why not organizing freindly online games between members.

world championship match starts in 7 days : Magnus Carlsen is going to defend his title against Karjakin

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Liked to play chess when I was a kid and it was very popular.
We didn't have computers back then :lol:

snowy

The A.I. nowadays are out of this world! Been planning on getting Fritz or Houdini but just can't seem to find the time... damn forums! :lol:

Since I tend to go OCD on everything I do, got hooked on marathon poker sessions last year. Almost had to go to rehab. Trop grave!

h52mme9

Total-Football

with few exceptions ( ex: fisher - capablanca - anand ) almost all world champions are from east europe .. especially the soviet union .

chess is dissimilar to other sports, in the sense that the more you play it you more you enjoy it .. because everytime you get to developp your understanding of the notions attack vs defense .. material vs position .. initiative vs careful approach .

on the highest level they do count on the computer a lot because it helps them with their preparation ( the openings ) .. but for amateurs , i wouldn't say computers matter that much.

Alik

I like playing chess :) Coincidentally I just got back into it last month.

I never studied chess tactics or anything though.

Online, my ranking is only around 1250.

Total-Football

The A.I. nowadays are out of this world! Been planning on getting Fritz or Houdini but just can't seem to find the time... damn forums! :lol:

Since I tend to go OCD on everything I do, got hooked on marathon poker sessions last year. Almost had to go to rehab. Trop grave!

h52mme9

i had Rybka .. i believe it was the strongest engine but i'm not sure. if you wanna loose i'm here :jason2:

snowy

i had Rybka .. i believe it was the strongest engine but i'm not sure. if you wanna loose i'm here :jason2:

will take a :badday: check/ I've a feeling this KL biz will be draining to a tilt. aka Pisa tower
so find another victim Bobby!
Fav chess movie is the one based on Le Joueur d'echec by Zweig. It's with John Torturro -->
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0211492/
There's also Knight Moves with Mr. Highlander
zxb4qbl

wouldn't mind getting checked m8 by Grandmistress Lane :whistle:

Total-Football

[MENTION=21486]snowy[/MENTION] .. i'm not sure a movie about chess would be that much of Entertainment :lol: .. someone recommanded me the novel that inspired the movie above , bought it years back, i haven't read it , can't even find it.. they also made a movie about bobby fisher recently .. but i'm skeptical , don't wanna Watch the movie to see captain america saving mother earth again with the chess moves of bobby .. but i have been told it's not the case so prolly imma give it a go. the movie is " pawn sacrifice " released in 2014

snowy

[MENTION=21486]snowy[/MENTION] .. i'm not sure a movie about chess would be that much of Entertainment :lol: .. someone recommanded me the novel that inspired the movie above , bought it years back, i haven't read it , can't even find it.. they also made a movie about bobby fisher recently .. but i'm skeptical , don't wanna Watch the movie to see captain america saving mother earth again with the chess moves of bobby .. but i have been told it's not the case so prolly imma give it a go. the movie is " pawn sacrifice " released in 2014

Pawn Sacrifice was yuckk boring and horrible! Just bad directing and story had no flow. _ Bobby was this huge guy and they cast Tobbey who's a great actor - really liked him in Sea:cookies: - but in this 1, it was just bad casting.
Zweig's book is fantastic. It's a quick read - almost a novella a la Maupassant. Highly recommended. I liked the movie cuz I'm just a fan of Torturro. He's awesome! He was perfect in Rounders and so believable. Good luck finding the book in your library lol
you know what they say about messiness (not Leo though funnily it does apply) and genius eh ...

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
Loved Rounders! And you are spot on about Turturro, had a great small role there.

And how about his role in Big Lebowski. Nobody fucks with the Jesus :lol:

[youtube]F1SfzV67Bqw[/youtube]

And yeah, Diane Lane was one hot lady :wub:

snowy

yeah Jesus Quintana lol also da Dude my fav Jeff Bridge's role!
Torturro has this amazing camera presence. He can go high and wild but also does subdued really well. He stole the show in Quiz Show :hooray:
and such a happy feet fun-guy in The Night OF :lol:

Total-Football

game 1 of the world championship match starts in one hour .. in case anyone have a 5 free hours tonight :lol:

i say game 1 will end in a draw

Home of Barca Fans