CL | Round 4: Manchester City - FC Barcelona 3-1

jairzinho

Lol at the meltdown, Lucho out MSN out etc. We made mistakes and they capitalized. It's that simple. In the Camp Nou, they fucked up and we nailed them. Tonight was our turn to screw up and they have the players to punish us. The injuries didn't help also. It's better we lose now than in the knockout rounds. The defeat will help to put things into perspective. This was a historical moment for City. They're finally able to say that they beat Barcelona in a game of football. We on the other hand have been in this competition for too long to be sweating over a group stage loss.

serghei

Yea, how is this any different to the 2-3 defeat against PSG two years ago? You make mistakes, you pay at this level. It's that simple. I'm quite pleased that I saw a team that, despite the errors, was very combative and active. We need to keep the same spirit vs Sevilla.

Zincubus

Banned
Yea, how is this any different to the 2-3 defeat against PSG two years ago? You make mistakes, you pay at this level. It's that simple. I'm quite pleased that I saw a team that, despite the errors, was very combative and active. We need to keep the same spirit vs Sevilla.

Maybe not the same RB though ....

serghei

Looking at the groups, maybe we need to finish 2nd. Finishing 1st might mean one of Bayern, Dortmund, PSG or Juventus at this point. Finishing 2nd might mean no Real, no Atletico, so, probably Leicester, Arsenal, and the winners from some easier groups. I think finishing 2nd gets us easier opponents the way groups are shaping up.

KyloRen

Not going to overreact to losing to a good talented team who was at home and really needed this win to get out of the Group stages.

vlad

Looking at the groups, maybe we need to finish 2nd. Finishing 1st might mean one of Bayern, Dortmund, PSG or Juventus at this point. Finishing 2nd might mean no Real, no Atletico, so, probably Leicester, Arsenal, and the winners from some easier groups. I think finishing 2nd gets us easier opponents the way groups are shaping up.

yeah, crazy but truth, it will be better to finish 2nd. About the game, dont have much to say, barca is still in a bad form, no improvments, i would like to congrats to city fans, big win for them and things looks good with pep on charge for now

Jaguar

Flair Trait
We aren't working well as a unit this season and this game showed that. Absolutely everywhere defensively and attacking wise it broke down a lot with very little to offer in terms of creativity and understanding with team mates. The system we've relied on so far with Luis Enrique which has brought us success no doubt, was an unstoppable attacking trident and being able to play and defend as a unit, unfortunately the latter isn't true so far this season and we look average at best. We need to improve a lot if we want to win anything this season, but frankly we have no world class midfielders apart from an aging Iniesta so our ability to control games has diminished a lot. If MSN were in their best form no doubt our flaws would be masked a lot more but even they're looking a little out of touch at times.

snowy

Highly unlikely but do you guys reckon we could've decided to ... throw the game so as to finish 2nd? (not trolling) :unsure:
Would make sense from a Machiavellian vantage point.

mark1nhu

I honestly think if we collapse in November and that could happen, Lucho will be sacked before Christmas.

No way we can win in Sevilla, San Sebastian and Clasico playing like this.

We haven't been playing so bad for a veeeery long time. I honestly can't remember when we played so badly so many games in a row. Maybe last year under Rijkaard not sure...

Tata.

barcafan161

We have serious problems if we are trying to avoid anybody

we were poor today and it's showing how much we miss Pique and Iniesta

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Lucho's following Barca's long-time commitment to playing it short and risky in defense and avoiding kicking the ball away at all costs; he's following Barca's commitment to possession ball when there are openings and possibilities to play it direct; and Barca's commitment to having a shit defense that attacks while we have MSN.

While Luis Enrique can and should be blamed for many things (for example his inability to change things up when we are behind or when the currents and odds are against us on the field, for example his all-too-often questionable decisions on subs that have seemed to become a new normal that we have to live with), I don't see a problem with him sticking to the Barca long-term commitments that you mentioned below. Sure, there are times when we absolutely should just clear the ball, but the idea of playing short passes by the defense and even the goalkeeper is in our DNA indeed, because we want to avoid the chances of turning over possession to our opponents as much as possible. Contrary to your observation, I think if Luis Enrique has made any positive impact or legacy on us, it is his slight deviation of absolute possession-craze game and his introductions to playing it more direct.

I didn't really get your last complaint, what's wrong with the insistence of defense playing a role in attacks? All elite teams do that.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire

Possible but we can't really put our fate in others' hands. More importantly, pride means a lot to us and any elite club.

Not to mention the likelihood of us finishing 2nd is quite remote (but certainly possible given how bad we are right now), that means we will have to lose to Gladbach at home or Celtic away, or both, or draw in both games. One win and one draw in the remaining two games we will finish 1st in the group.

jairzinho

We need to regroup, get our shit together, finish strong and top the group. If we're thinking about finishing second just to avoid a tough draw, we have no business being in this competition. I know the luck of the draw helps, but we are an elite club with elite players. I'm just saying its better our weaknesses are exposed now, where we can still fix it, rather than at the business end of the season.

barcanuck

Just gotta say Busi is our biggest concern at the moment. It seems he is taking an extra second to pass it and his positioning seems way more sloppy than previous years. I never used to worry building from the back through the middle but now it's a turn over most of the time against well coached teams.

Home of Barca Fans