Cr150

Morten

Messi:
ElSniIFWoAEM5NV

Ronaldo:
ElSnhemWMAABgMX

The biggest difference/outlier is the assist count(and key passes), but i already knew that.

Goal-wise, he did fine after a rough start, but that 1 assist in 35 games is meme-worthy, i must say.
Messi was always more creative of course, but Ronaldo was never that bad in creating against other teams, strange stuff.

Vilarrubi

The biggest difference/outlier is the assist count(and key passes), but i already knew that.

Goal-wise, he did fine after a rough start, but that 1 assist in 35 games is meme-worthy, i must say.
Messi was always more creative of course, but Ronaldo was never that bad in creating against other teams, strange stuff.

Would like to see which games they were all scored in and how important they were. 2009 header and 2x 2011 semi goals stand out for me, that’s more or less 2 CLs he won off the back of those. Can’t remember any as important for Ronaldo.

Morten

Would like to see which games they were all scored in and how important they were. 2009 header and 2x 2011 semi goals stand out for me, that’s more or less 2 CLs he won off the back of those. Can’t remember any as important for Ronaldo.

Well, CL is the most important, so unless managed to score in his 1 CL-final against Barca, he was never going to top that goal.
Still, La liga decider in 11/12 was massive, and copa del rey header, not as much for the copa itself, it broke our 3-seasons of not defeating Barca at that point(as well as 2 years trophy drought, i believe).

fergus90

It’s kind of a shame, the Messi vs Cristiano match ups are of course reaching the end of the road for obvious reasons. Would of been nice to see them battle it out both games.

Rory

Probably the only fixture of their respective seasons where Messi had a more elite mentality than ronaldo. Messi stepped up big time against him in a lot of games whereas ronaldo often ghosted.

Vilarrubi

Well, CL is the most important, so unless managed to score in his 1 CL-final against Barca, he was never going to top that goal.
Still, La liga decider in 11/12 was massive, and copa del rey header, not as much for the copa itself, it broke our 3-seasons of not defeating Barca at that point(as well as 2 years trophy drought, i believe).

Those CL semi's (07/08) (10/11) are nearly just as important as CL Final and way bigger games than any La Liga/Copa game. Winner of those ties went on to win the CL so any contributions in those were massive. Ronaldo blanked in all 5 CL games vs Messi 0 goals 0 assists and even a penalty miss in 07/08.

serghei

Ronaldo was always an inferior player to peak Messi. There's no doubt about that. And most of the big meetings between them happened during Messi's peak.

Vilarrubi

Ronaldo was always an inferior player to peak Messi. There's no doubt about that. And most of the big meetings between them happened during Messi's peak.

Actually on closer look Ronaldo’s contributions (even in his “peak”) in games against Messi are even less important than I first thought. Only 9 of his goals were scored in La Liga, the other 9 came in Copa and Supercopa (5 and 4 goals) vs Messi’s 3 goals in CL, 12 goals and 5 assists in La Liga and 6 in Supercopa.

Laplacian

It’s kind of a shame, the Messi vs Cristiano match ups are of course reaching the end of the road for obvious reasons. Would of been nice to see them battle it out both games.

I can't even be excited about it. Both are shadows of their former peak selves. Even if Cristiano played today, I wouldn't have tuned in to watch them at all.

Home of Barca Fans