Cr150

footyfan

Calma, calma
Both Messi and CR7 have looked unstoppable in CL when their teams have been generally the best.

Messi had 4 CL top-scorers in a row from 08-12 and comprehensively outplayed CR7 H2H in the 3 times they've met in CL:

United-Barca 08 CL semis
United-Barca 09 Final
Barca-Madrid 11 CL semis

The recency of CR7's CL titles plus the fact that he's had more KO games to showcase his abilities in recent seasons makes people jump to these conclusions.

I'd agree with you about the recency if it wasn't for the fact that he has a very clear edge in the overall statistics, including per game stats. Also performing better in more KO games is better than performing average in less KO games. The fact that he keeps his stats up for a bigger number of KO games is to his credit, not to his detriment. People were calling him a big game choker, but his KO record trounces the second best player's (I think Messi) record by a big margin. And it doesn't really matter which team he's facing - PSG, Juve, Bayern, Atletico - he doesn't struggle in scoring against any of them.

There's no denying that Messi is a better player in general, but Ronaldo has a good case to go down as the best CL performer. His numbers are historic and he scores important goals.

Last edited:

KingLeo10

I'd agree with you about the recency if it wasn't for the fact that he has a very clear edge in the overall statistics, including per game stats. Also performing better in more KO games is better than performing average in less KO games. The fact that he keeps his stats up for a bigger number of KO games is to his credit, not to his detriment. People were calling him a big game choker, but his KO record trounces the second best player's (I think Messi) record by a big margin. And it doesn't really matter which team he's facing - PSG, Juve, Bayern, Atletico - he doesn't struggle in scoring against any of them.

There's no denying that Messi is a better player in general, but Ronaldo has a good case to go down as the best CL performer. His numbers are historic and he scores important goals.

His KO numbers have gone through the roof ever since 2014, which is when RM started beating anyone and everyone in CL KOs. Of course, his goals have had a lot to do with this, but it is obvious looking at seasonal performances that RM prioritizes this competition and other RM players like marcelo modric etc. upping their level facilitates CR7's exploits. For instance, compare Marcelo's performance v PSG 1st leg this season and the bayern ties last season to his standard performances.

As for who will have the greater CL legacy, it's hard to tell. 3-4 years ago, CR7 at 29-30 was not close to messi's trophy haul yet now has more or less equaled it. It depends a lot on the strength of their respective teams in the coming years, as both are ruthless when things are in their favor. I certainly hope Barca has a better showing in CL, though as you saw versus Chelsea, Messi is dealing with a lot of deadwood.

footyfan

Calma, calma
His KO numbers have gone through the roof ever since 2014, which is when RM started beating anyone and everyone in CL KOs. Of course, his goals have had a lot to do with this, but it is obvious looking at seasonal performances that RM prioritizes this competition and other RM players like marcelo modric etc. upping their level facilitates CR7's exploits. For instance, compare Marcelo's performance v PSG 1st leg this season and the bayern ties last season to his standard performances.

As for who will have the greater CL legacy, it's hard to tell. 3-4 years ago, CR7 at 29-30 was not close to messi's trophy haul yet now has more or less equaled it. It depends a lot on the strength of their respective teams in the coming years, as both are ruthless when things are in their favor. I certainly hope Barca has a better showing in CL, though as you saw versus Chelsea, Messi is dealing with a lot of deadwood.

I agree with everything you've said. Messi is in an unfortunate situation right now, however over the past few seasons I think his KO performances have been lackluster individually as well (bar that 14/15 season). This season is hopefully different, but he is hampered by his team a fair bit. Such things happen, he was lucky enough to be surrounded by all-time greats for many years too.

Xaviniesta

What a shame. Messi has to do everything by himself while this bastard camps in the box and takes all the glory after scoring

Ursegor

World Champion
I'm sorry but he plays with a striker partner who is beyond finished and kicks the ball out of play when attempting stepovers and had a midfield behind him consisting of Casemiro, Asensio and Vasquez. Let's not pretend he is served by all-time greats while Messi plays for Malaga. His unparalleled determination to make himself available and get on the end of balls is what makes the difference.

vlad

I'm sorry but he plays with a striker partner who is beyond finished and kicks the ball out of play when attempting stepovers and had a midfield behind him consisting of Casemiro, Asensio and Vasquez. Let's not pretend he is served by all-time greats while Messi plays for Malaga. His unparalleled determination to make himself available and get on the end of balls is what makes the difference.

People writing about ronaldo like everyone would put those balls behind the net, cristiano is WC player, who lost ability to dribble, and doesnt have playmaking skills like messi, but what he have is determination and guy still doesnt have problem track opposition player to defend, and thatcpart of his play is underrated, not to mention his constant running and opening in the box, about messi, we can argue how barca doesnt have strong midfield as real, but often we can see messi walking and waiting for the ball, not making runs, we can often read "saving energy" comments, bullshit i say, he is younger the ronaldo, so its easier for top teams to isolate him from the game. So while messi is probably greatest of all time, ronaldo is above him in terms of motivation and winning mentality

Vialli_92

Ronaldo plays as a poacher and has service for him

Messi is at a disadvantage when it comes to goals as he has to put literally 5x more work in than Ronaldo to score

People will continue to judge them on goals when they couldn't be any further apart as players

If you dissect their overall attributes and contributions to their teams Ronaldo has a much easier job than Messi and should always outscore Messi based on how their teams play and each players characteristics

Judging Messi purely on goals is just ridiculous as he's more of a CM these days rather than a striker like Ronaldo

Kerrybai

Unfortunately I have to agree that for the big moments in the CL Ronlado edges Messi due to his knockout goals with 57 in 70 games to 38 in 59 and more importantly 47 in 47 for Madrid. I think he outscores him in Semi finals by 13 to 4 or something along those lines.

What keeps Messi close is the head to head games with Messi scoring in 2/3 games including the final vs United and the double at the Bernabau. The gulf between them would be much larger without those games.

Wambo

If RM wins the UCL 3rd time in a row he will definitely get the 6th Ballon d'or and will be a strong candidate to become the GOAT.

Morten

If RM wins the UCL 3rd time in a row he will definitely get the 6th Ballon d'or and will be a strong candidate to become the GOAT.

CL doesnt really matter this year, the forward with the best WC for the winning team will take the ballon dor, probably.
Odds are its not going to be Portugal.

BarcaOG

Banned
its not about being a ronaldo 'fan boy'. its simply that, strictly in the CL, it is difficult not to recognize that (at least in the last 5 or so seasons) CR has been more decisive than messi. has he not? i dont see how it can be denied.

ebc_99

Ronaldo doesn't perform better in the champions League, his team does. Real create chances for Ronaldo and he puts them away. At Barca Messi has to create his own chances because there is pretty much no way his team will do it for him. Against Chelsea he had one chance and it resulted in a goal. If you swaped players Messi would score more goals than Ronaldo at Real and Ronaldo would struggle to score at Barca because very few chances are created by anyone other than Messi

Home of Barca Fans