Cr150

Richard.H

Another aspect people don't look into is the difference of family life between Messi and CR (I know it sounds silly but bear with me).

CR is fully focused on his career and from what I saw in his documentary, his mom and baby momma take care of his kids. Messi on the other hand fully cares about his family and the fatherly responsibilities he has. Messi is involved a lot in his family life while you can say CR lives and breathes for football glory. That's a huge difference to me

Meatball

Another aspect people don't look into is the difference of family life between Messi and CR (I know it sounds silly but bear with me).

CR is fully focused on his career and from what I saw in his documentary, his mom and baby momma take care of his kids. Messi on the other hand fully cares about his family and the fatherly responsibilities he has. Messi is involved a lot in his family life while you can say CR lives and breathes for football glory. That's a huge difference to me

No, it's not silly. I looked into it and fully agree. Besides, I think Messi s been indulging himself more in eating compared to CR7. I think most of the time Messi eats whatever he likes while Ronaldo eats only what s good for his body. You can eat tons of junk food and be in good shape like Messi if you train well enough but to reach CR7 physical level, you need both insane diet and training.

BarcaOG

Banned
you know the debate is reaching a turning point when barca fans now refer to 'peak'/younger messi to deflect the fact that CR continues to deliver...like arsenal fans harping on about the invincibles...

hate to say it but messi doesnt look capable of leading argentina anywhere, even if argentina have been poor, whereas no matter how bad portugal can be (euro 2016 very boring/guedes bottling chances) ronaldo keeps on winning matches. seeing messi miss penalties while ronaldo has 4 in 2 matches...even as a messi fan its hard not to lose belief

Neymessi

You aren't off. Messi has said this in the past that after thiago came he became way less obsessed with football and his perspective on life changed. He is defnitely less obsessed than cr7 who these last few years who was quite a lot behind messi in bdor race to prove his worth but as going on in the messi thread this is NOT the reason why cr7 has equalled his bdor tally to messi or why messi has failed to win a NT trophy.

you know the debate is reaching a turning point when barca fans now refer to 'peak'/younger messi to deflect the fact that CR continues to deliver...like arsenal fans harping on about the invincibles...

hate to say it but messi doesnt look capable of leading argentina anywhere, even if argentina have been poor, whereas no matter how bad portugal can be (euro 2016 very boring/guedes bottling chances) ronaldo keeps on winning matches. seeing messi miss penalties while ronaldo has 4 in 2 matches...even as a messi fan its hard not to lose belief

Lol cr7 doesn't continue to deliver. He has plenty of horrible games that fans/media never talk about. I don't see any mainstream media talking about shit cr7 was in semis or finals this time just because he won the CL. Not to mention he is invisible in so many matches for RM but may score an easy goal and all is forgotten.

This messi performance against Iceland wasn't even that bad (plenty of dribbles and passes) and look at the criticism he is getting while that performance is better than most matches cr7 has these days.

Cr7 is one of the most lucky players for whom the narrative gets moulded to his benefit. Today at 1-0 up I thought to myself that regardless of the result cr7 will be hailed by everyone. He could play shit the rest of the match and if Portugal wins everyone will say how he took them to victory alone and had portugal lost the narrative would be that cr7 did his part but portugal are a shit team who dissapointed him.

Same thing in the euro final. I was discussing with my friend before the match that what result will actually be the worst case for cr7 with a friend? Because had they lost against france everyone would be saying look cr7 took portugal to finals with such a crap team and if he plays shit and they win anyway everyone will still hail cr7. So I said that if cr7 gets injured but portugal win only then will he be denied of any credit because they won without him anyway. Exactly what happened and cr7 still somehow get a shitton of credit for that euro win :lol:

No matter how he plays the narrative is out there to suit him. But for messi the jury is out for everything.

JamDav1982

Yep definitely a generic statement is what I would have thought too but messi has said this many times and not just as a one line statement but emphasized upon it.

So has Ronaldo and Messi is better week in week out than Ronaldo in the league and that is as much about motivation as anything.

Dont think it is a big aspect really in ones favour over the other.

There is not a player in Russia that will want this WC more than Messi.

BarcaOG

Banned
Lol cr7 doesn't continue to deliver. He has plenty of horrible games that fans/media never talk about. I don't see any mainstream media talking about shit cr7 was in semis or finals this time just because he won the CL. Not to mention he is invisible in so many matches for RM but may score an easy goal and all is forgotten.

This messi performance against Iceland wasn't even that bad (plenty of dribbles and passes) and look at the criticism he is getting while that performance is better than most matches cr7 has these days.

Cr7 is one of the most lucky players for whom the narrative gets moulded to his benefit. Today at 1-0 up I thought to myself that regardless of the result cr7 will be hailed by everyone. He could play shit the rest of the match and if Portugal wins everyone will say how he took them to victory alone and had portugal lost the narrative would be that cr7 did his part but portugal are a shit team who dissapointed him.

Same thing in the euro final. I was discussing with my friend before the match that what result will actually be the worst case for cr7 with a friend? Because had they lost against france everyone would be saying look cr7 took portugal to finals with such a crap team and if he plays shit and they win anyway everyone will still hail cr7. So I said that if cr7 gets injured but portugal win only then will he be denied of any credit because they won without him anyway. Exactly what happened and cr7 still somehow get a shitton of credit for that euro win :lol:

No matter how he plays the narrative is out there to suit him. But for messi the jury is out for everything.

he scored in every group match of the CL and twice against juve...scored against us in the camp nou...another season, again CL top scorer, now top european international scorer...three CL's in a row being CL top scorer each time and scoring in all the decisive knock outs in 2/3 out of those seasons...wins euro w portugal (even if that was bizarre)...puts 3 past spain and now 4 in 2 matches...

i dont like ronaldo but thats the truth. tell me, how does he not deliver? barca could keep on winning the copa from here until eternity but the world knows that the key price and the mark of club greatness is the CL. messi didnt do anything against roma or against iceland, and if he really is to be the GOAT he cant be missing so many crucial penalties nor failing to be decisive in the CL knockouts, now for 3 years running. GOAT standards must be higher than that. (for the record, so too should ronaldo do better in the first half of the season/in league play)

BBZ8800

he scored in every group match of the CL and twice against juve...scored against us in the camp nou...another season, again CL top scorer, now top european international scorer...three CL's in a row being CL top scorer each time and scoring in all the decisive knock outs in 2/3 out of those seasons...wins euro w portugal (even if that was bizarre)...puts 3 past spain and now 4 in 2 matches...

i dont like ronaldo but thats the truth. tell me, how does he not deliver? barca could keep on winning the copa from here until eternity but the world knows that the key price and the mark of club greatness is the CL. messi didnt do anything against roma or against iceland, and if he really is to be the GOAT he cant be missing so many crucial penalties nor failing to be decisive in the CL knockouts, now for 3 years running. GOAT standards must be higher than that. (for the record, so too should ronaldo do better in the first half of the season/in league play)

I have wrote on Messi's thread, it is not only about Roma.
Messi scored only on 1 match in the last 13 CL knockout rounds in quarters, semis and a final in the last 5 years.

So, he hasn't disappeared only against Roma, Juve or Psg.
Messi is not on his level in a CL for 5 years in a row.

So, when people say that CR7 was bad in semis.. ouch, Messi has been below pair in a CL for 5 years in a row.
Again, I hate to say it, but Messi is breaking records and keeping his level only in La Liga and Copa matches in the last 5 years.

While CR7 is on his prime in CLs, Euros and World cup :(

Joan

So, I don't see a point of these stats over the whole career, because Messi obviously has 2 parts of his career:
1. young brave Messi, GOAT in both small and big matches. Plus, with Xavi and Iniesta behind him
2. older Messi. Without Xavi and Iniesta. Plus, for some reason invisible, broken and sulking in big matches.

Maybe I should've quoted the guy.

I was referring to this:
Football is about goalscoring and not dribbling. So football talent CR7 might be the best ever

Messi's been scoring more, that's the fact. He's a better talent even by this criteria.

So, maybe the debate: who is better: Messi or CR7 should look like this:
1. best ever: young Messi
2. CR7 over whole career
3. old Messi

This is true if your focus is on CL. Fair estimation.

When you look at their whole careers:
Messi is better in La Ligas
Cr7 is better in CLs
Cr7 is better with NT teams
Cr7 is equal or better in big matches
Cr7 is better in Ballon D Ors due to points from above

I know that my posts sounds as if I am hating Messi or something, but since he is the best ever, he really fucked up in the last 5-6 years.
He also had a potential for way more CLs and NT titles, it needs to be said.

The same as how Neymar, Ronaldinho and others didn't reach their potential.
It seems that Messi also made a mess in the 2nd part of his career from 100s of random reasons.

He did fuck up. Why? Don't really understand it, but I tend to agree with you that NT defeats had huge impact on him.

Cheers. ;)

Home of Barca Fans