Cr150

Meatball

People always talk about Ronaldo mental strength on the pitch, but what matter the most are what he does off the pitch: how he trains, eats, rests, takes care of his body will decide in what physical and mental state he will enter the pitch (which is much harder cuz you have to sacrifice a lot and do it days in days out not just 90mins playing here and there, this is where CR7's true mental strength shows).

MagIX

As wrote in another tread, he has been very clever, since at talents' level he can`t compete against Messi (and agaist the greatest players of the past), has turned into a goal machine. At the end of the match, the team wins thanks to the goals scored, not dribblings.

fcb2000

With his extreme luck and crazy drive, portugal will probably reach the final, and he will break the world cup scoring record for a single world cup, this forum will implode lol.

No chance. Portugal are beyond terrible. I think that game against Spain gave a false impression of their level. If you ignore then penalty, the blunder by De Gea, and the moment of brilliance from the free kick they really didn't create anything.

Also, this is the World Cup. They won't have a run like they did in the euros (facing Wales, Poland and Croatia). They'll eventually run into a heavyweight like Brazil and doubt they'd get lucky against them.

Sterlingfan2000

As wrote in another tread, he has been very clever, since at talents' level he can`t compete against Messi (and agaist the greatest players of the past), has turned into a goal machine. At the end of the match, the team wins thanks to the goals scored, not dribblings.

Football is about goalscoring and not dribbling. So football talent CR7 might be the best ever

Joan

Guys, Messi has been scoring more, Messi averages 0.81 goals per match, Ronaldo 0.72. What do we talk about?

Ronaldo's a great player, but he's no Messi, although he's been highly motivated and more clutch recently.

Just look at this, goals generated (g+a) per age.

MessiRonaldo.jpg

If he carries this Portugal side to the title, there'll be a debate which Ronaldo will end up taking in the end, imo.

Morten

Ronaldo cant win the world cup, he is not going to be able to carry this side every game, no one can.
So, unless the rest of his side learn to string a couple of passes together, they will go no further than the quarter finals.

Still, good for his career though, to finally have a good world cup.

Meatball

Ronaldo cant win the world cup, he is not going to be able to carry this side every game, no one can.
So, unless the rest of his side learn to string a couple of passes together, they will go no further than the quarter finals.

Still, good for his career though, to finally have a good world cup.

I heard Ronaldo and Portugal couldn't win the Euro

BBZ8800

Guys, Messi has been scoring more, Messi averages 0.81 goals per match, Ronaldo 0.72. What do we talk about?

Ronaldo's a great player, but he's no Messi, although he's been highly motivated and more clutch recently.

Just look at this, goals generated (g+a) per age.

View attachment 7891

If he carries this Portugal side to the title, there'll be a debate which Ronaldo will end up taking in the end, imo.

There are some "buts" here.

1. Young Messi was way better than CR7.
A lot of his goals are from that era.
2. second, a current Messi, for some reason is able to score goals against Getafe and similar, but has gone MIA in the last 5-6 years (more or less) in a CL and in bigger matches (except El Classico).

So, I don't see a point of these stats over the whole career, because Messi obviously has 2 parts of his career:
1. young brave Messi, GOAT in both small and big matches. Plus, with Xavi and Iniesta behind him
2. older Messi. Without Xavi and Iniesta. Plus, for some reason invisible, broken and sulking in big matches.

So, maybe the debate: who is better: Messi or CR7 should look like this:
1. best ever: young Messi
2. CR7 over whole career
3. old Messi

When you look at their whole careers:
Messi is better in La Ligas
Cr7 is better in CLs
Cr7 is better with NT teams
Cr7 is equal or better in big matches
Cr7 is better in Ballon D Ors due to points from above

I know that my posts sounds as if I am hating Messi or something, but since he is the best ever, he really fucked up in the last 5-6 years.
He also had a potential for way more CLs and NT titles, it needs to be said.

The same as how Neymar, Ronaldinho and others didn't reach their potential.
It seems that Messi also made a mess in the 2nd part of his career from 100s of random reasons.

serghei

There are some "buts" here.

1. Young Messi was way better than CR7.
A lot of his goals are from that era.
2. second, a current Messi, for some reason is able to score goals against Getafe and similar, but has gone MIA in the last 5-6 years (more or less) in a CL and in bigger matches (except El Classico).

So, I don't see a point of these stats over the whole career, because Messi obviously has 2 parts of his career:
1. young brave Messi, GOAT in both small and big matches. Plus, with Xavi and Iniesta behind him
2. older Messi. Without Xavi and Iniesta. Plus, for some reason invisible, broken and sulking in big matches.

So, maybe the debate: who is better: Messi or CR7 should look like this:
1. best ever: young Messi
2. CR7 over whole career
3. old Messi

When you look at their whole careers:
Messi is better in La Ligas
Cr7 is better in CLs
Cr7 is better with NT teams
Cr7 is equal or better in big matches
Cr7 is better in Ballon D Ors due to points from above

I know that my posts sounds as if I am hating Messi or something, but since he is the best ever, he really fucked up in the last 5-6 years.
He also had a potential for way more CLs and NT titles, it needs to be said.

The same as how Neymar, Ronaldinho and others didn't reach their potential.
It seems that Messi also made a mess in the 2nd part of his career from 100s of random reasons.

Messi is the superior footballer overall. There's no doubt about that. Peak Messi is better than Ronaldo by a considerable margin.

Ronaldo is better at this stage of their careers, simply because he was able to motivate himself even at this age, while Messi has declined in this respect.

Gaudi

I truly don't see bigger NT career for CR. Argentina is WC favourite for journalists and weekend fans, their team is actually great attack and weak to mediocre rest...and that's not fan review but pure fact. Still they reached WC finals and two Copa america finals. I know winning means everything but in hole honesty difference between finals and winning in tearms of pure fact is one game.
Second thing this is team sport, and winning awards based on a team can be a MVP reward, like in NBA....but saying who is best there is always same criteria:

there are players who influence result
there are players who influence game

CR does the First but Messi does both.
Now, having said that CR has to bi admired, if nothing, for his tremendous will and determination...and he's not a bad player on top of that ;)

serghei

Ronaldo is probably the best player in the world in the last 2 seasons based mostly on leadership and clutch performances. He doesn't touch peak Messi though and never did. Peak Messi was a massacring unit. Speed, quick thinking, passing, dribbling, solo goals. Can't beat that.

Home of Barca Fans