Cr150

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
I really dont understand why so many United-fans still loves him, and rate him above a guy such as Rooney, who is actually a club legend for them.
Ronaldo did great, but in the end, he chose to come to RM and spend his best years here, not in United.
Agreed. RM was always his dream destination. He gave United three brilliant years after 2006 and as soon as he was allowed to leave, he went.

Dan1983

Prediction champion 2012-2013
Yeah, the problem with many of us is that we are too emotionally attached to the club and when stuff like the Tuesday fiasco happens it is so painful and it takes a long time to recover…

Right now I am more concerned about the long term viability (including financial well-being which I personally care deeply about) of our club more than other elements (Messi’s legacy, trophies this season, bragging rights in front of other fans etc.).
Nothing will hurt me more than the 2002 CL semi finals.

BarcaOG

Banned
he's the best player in the world right now, and has been for two years. as much as it pains me to say it i really dont see a convincing argument against it

Givenchy

he's the best player in the world right now, and has been for two years. as much as it pains me to say it i really dont see a convincing argument against it

Salah is more impressive for me this season but Ronaldo certainly 2nd, mainly because he didn't show up for the first half.

T

TS88

Ronaldo is arguably the best player of all time, in the best form of his life. Trying to belittle him is likely to end up causing you headaches. Unlike Messi, who only ever scores when his team is doing well and progressing to the next round, Ronaldo scores irrespective of whether his team gets eliminated or not.

serghei

Ronaldo is surely the best Champions League goalscorer in the history of the competition, and one of the best strikers of all time. He's also a top 10 all time great. But he is not the best player of all time and never will be.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
Ronaldo is arguably the best player of all time, in the best form of his life. Trying to belittle him is likely to end up causing you headaches. Unlike Messi, who only ever scores when his team is doing well and progressing to the next round, Ronaldo scores irrespective of whether his team gets eliminated or not.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder and we are all subjective so of course we are going to agree to disagree: I don’t think Ronaldo is the best player of all time at all, he is much closer to being the best striker/scorer of all time than best player of all time.

I also disagree with the notion that Messi only does well when the team does well and Ronaldo always does well. It is simply BS. There were many examples of Messi leading a struggle team to victories, and there were equal number of examples of Ronaldo struggling when Real Madrid was struggling. Ronaldo needs a lot of service from his teammates whereas Messi tends to create on his own, but Ronaldo being taller and much better at headers would bang in goals, especially headers when Real Madrid was not playing well and all he needed was one chance.

I so agree that Ronaldo been much better in the CL than Messi so far.

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent
In the past, before Ronaldo caught up to Messi in terms of bdor count, the consensus was that Ronaldo is not a top-10 player of all time. That was true, but imo in the last 3 years he has achieved so much that it is simply ignorant to disregard him now. For me he is now surely in the same bracket as Messi, Pele, Maradona, Cruyff and other greats.

FCBfan22

In the past, before Ronaldo caught up to Messi in terms of bdor count, the consensus was that Ronaldo is not a top-10 player of all time. That was true, but imo in the last 3 years he has achieved so much that it is simply ignorant to disregard him now. For me he is now surely in the same bracket as Messi, Pele, Maradona, Cruyff and other greats.

Yes, he is a top 10 player of all time.

BarcaOG

Banned
Ronaldo is surely the best Champions League goalscorer in the history of the competition, and one of the best strikers of all time. He's also a top 10 all time great. But he is not the best player of all time and never will be.

If he leads Real to another CL win scoring doubles and triples in the semis and the final, surely he must be in contention for the best player of the CL, period, not just as a goalscorer. It would be his fifth victory, which is very impressive, especially considering his stats in the knock-out phase. I hate to say it but you can't avoid the evidence. Up until 2015 I would have argued on behalf of Messi, but CR has really turned it around since then.

On the other hand, for example, Messi is indisputably the best player ever to play in Spain, where by comparison CR has not been nearly as decisive.

FCBfan22

If he leads Real to another CL win scoring doubles and triples in the semis and the final, surely he must be in contention for the best player of the CL, period, not just as a goalscorer. It would be his fifth victory, which is very impressive, especially considering his stats in the knock-out phase. I hate to say it but you can't avoid the evidence. Up until 2015 I would have argued on behalf of Messi, but CR has really turned it around since then.

On the other hand, for example, Messi is indisputably the best player ever to play in Spain, where by comparison CR has not been nearly as decisive.

The guy is just a decisive goalscoring machine. Best player in CL from autumn 2015. There is no denying that. But I think that if somebody manages to cut off his support from him (Modrić, Kroos, Marcelo), they have a chance of advancing. Just don't let the ball into your box.

BarcaOG

Banned
The guy is just a decisive goalscoring machine. Best player in CL from autumn 2015. There is no denying that. But I think that if somebody manages to cut off his support from him (Modrić, Kroos, Marcelo), they have a chance of advancing. Just don't let the ball into your box.

While I agree that for elite players to do their best they need a world-class supporting cast (i.e. Messi + Xavi + Iniesta 2008-2015), I think it's unfair to attribute their success to that alone. CR has continued to be decisive even after Ozil, Di Maria and Xabi Alonso left Real. He was decisive too in Real without Scholes and Giggs from his United days. Back in 2012-14 this forum was replete with arguments that without Ozil and Di Maria CR would not score. We were very very wrong.

So for the same reason that it is absurd to say that Messi only achieved greatness due to Xaviesta (i.e. even today he continues to impress with an aging Iniesta and without Xavi), it is equally unfair to pin CR's successes on Modric.

Imagine a hypothetical world in which it is Messi, but not Ronaldo, who leads in CL goalscoring and knock-out phases goal records (CR has a decent, but not great, assists record too). We would all rightly agree that that Messi would be the CL's greatest ever player. Why deny that to CR just because he's arrogant and plays for our biggest rival? It's just hypocrisy.

Edit: just look back to the posts on this forum from 2015 after we beat Bayern 3-0. Messi had put in a GOAT performance and we were rightly calling it such. Ronaldo scored like 6 against Bayern and Atleti last year. It is silly to deny him credit for doing precisely what we once hailed Messi for.

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans