Cr150

Messi

Too bad their peaks combined lasted shorter than Cristianos.
Being able to keep it up year after year is very important as well.

Don't disagree with you. Both of those players probably had the talent to make a decent claim to be the best ever, but in my oppinion they would never be considered for that spot because of their short peaks

fcb2000

Of course Ronaldos peak is better than Rivaldo. Jesus christ if that is even open to debate then it shows how far off being able to judge him objectively.

I loved Rivaldo back in day and he was a magician at times but Ronaldo is on a different level without a doubt.

True. I'd say his peak is up there with the best of the last 30 years. Think people are judging his overall play on his last couple of seasons (still far better than that of your Batistuta's, Inzaghi's, Ruud Van Nistelooy's etc when it comes to great goalscorers of the last 30 years).

kilian

Imagine this goalscoring machine version of Ronaldo and Messi in one team. If Ronaldo could adapt to Messi being in charge of the team and just finish the chances he would serve him on the platter, it would be devastating for any team. I can`t lie, I would love to see it, although he does disgust me with his ego tripping and shitty behaviour.

Neeraj

Longevity or not, Ronaldo doesn't come anywhere close to the top 5 of all time, get a grip. Whether he would make a top 10, that's something to think about.

I feel some people here get some ego kick out of saying things that go against the grain of the forum; one of the posts before said Ronaldo deserves the Balon Dor this year - goes to show the point I'm trying to make.

JamDav1982

Longevity or not, Ronaldo doesn't come anywhere close to the top 5 of all time, get a grip. Whether he would make a top 10, that's something to think about.

I feel some people here get some ego kick out of saying things that go against the grain of the forum; one of the posts before said Ronaldo deserves the Balon Dor this year - goes to show the point I'm trying to make.

Ronaldo does deserve it this year.

Your making no point other than your not objective.

In general concensus amongst those who follow football I would bet Ronaldo will be in top 5 or very close by time he is finished.

Neeraj

Ronaldo does deserve it this year.

Your making no point other than your not objective.

In general concensus amongst those who follow football I would bet Ronaldo will be in top 5 or very close by time he is finished.

So by that, you believe he was Madrid's best player for the 2017 calendar year, because he happened to score a few offside goals and get into great goal scoring form in general in a few crunch games, though Modric and Marcelo pretty much ran the show last season.

You also believe he had a better season than Messi, who single handedly carried a piss poor Barca to the last day of the league, and was amazing in almost every game he played, bar a couple of games against the big guns where we got out coached.

Not sure if there's anything I can say to that.

As for the top 5 issue, let's just say there's only one way either of us is being proven right, and that's going a decade or so into the future.

JamDav1982

So by that, you believe he was Madrid's best player for the 2017 calendar year, because he happened to score a few offside goals and get into great goal scoring form in general in a few crunch games, though Modric and Marcelo pretty much ran the show last season.

You also believe he had a better season than Messi, who single handedly carried a piss poor Barca to the last day of the league, and was amazing in almost every game he played, bar a couple of games against the big guns where we got out coached.

Not sure if there's anything I can say to that.

As for the top 5 issue, let's just say there's only one way either of us is being proven right, and that's going a decade or so into the future.

Yes he was Madrids best player and deserves Balon dor for helping them to league and CL which will always have the biggest impact on that vote.

Messi never carried Barca would be out CL in last 16 if not for Neymar and many others contributed to games. Messi was best player but he more or less went missing in CL knockout bar one good game v Juve.

I know the top 5 thing is subjective I am guessing where he will be held in general by time he is finished. Dont think he will be in best ever debate that will be headed by Messi and discussion with Maradona/Pele and Ronaldo in next group is how I see it.

This idea that Modric etc is really the best player as runs the game is same crap that folk used to say about Xavi/Iniesta being really the best players and Messi feeding off them. Messi was the best player then clearly and Ronaldo is their best player now.

Cliches like 'Messi single handedly carried Barca' just shows how deluded some folk are.

Last edited:

fcb2000

Modric and Marcelo weren't running the show when Real Madrid went 1-0 down to Bayern in their CL QF 1st leg and then conceded a penalty that nearly saw them go 2-0 down if not for Vidal skying his spot kick. They were hanging against the ropes if not for Ronaldo popping up with his typical excellent movement and converting Carvajal's cross (that was really a half chance) on the volley into a goal to tie the game 1-1 and shock Bayern. He then forced Javi Martinez into two yellow cards in the space of 5mins that saw him get sent off and leave Bayern with 10 men. Only then did Modric and Marcelo start playing. Ronaldo then obviously went on to score the winner in that match that saw Madrid take an excellent 1-2 advantage back to the bernebeau after almost looking out of the game before HT. And that's just only one example. His contribution last season to their sucesses was definitely second to none and they wouldn't have won the competition had he not been playing.

[youtube]CgdKiEUguF0[/youtube]

The state of this guy's performances are just pathetic, Messi at his worst is still miles better than this crap. It also seems to me like he is losing a lot of his athletic abilities as well. He can't jump nearly as high to meet balls in the air with his head and his explosiveness looks to be all but gone.

Horatio

You're welcome
[youtube]CgdKiEUguF0[/youtube]

The state of this guy's performances are just pathetic, Messi at his worst is still miles better than this crap. It also seems to me like he is losing a lot of his athletic abilities as well. He can't jump nearly as high to meet balls in the air with his head and his explosiveness looks to be all but gone.

He's not that different from previous season. Only difference is that he is not getting fed as much especially now Benzema is out. If he needs 8 chances to score, this was a game where he got 7.

Ritchie

He's not that different from previous season. Only difference is that he is not getting fed as much especially now Benzema is out. If he needs 8 chances to score, this was a game where he got 7.

The idea that this guy is some brilliant finisher is laughable.

He just gets that many chances to score, admittedly in part due to his great movement but also because he's got world class players serving him chances on a plate.

Hardy

I prefer to see him perform like a shit when it matters, at the end of the day we laugh about him in september, he smile with another CL in june when it really matters.

Home of Barca Fans