Neymar Jr. - v5

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Then your argument would be true whether he were playing in France or Spain. No matter the club, he’d have to do something extraordinary to win the award over Messi.

If he played in the PL, became the topscorer and won the league only with Messi also only winning La Liga, it would be very close in the voting.

JamDav1982

I'm just talking about general fan perception, not evaluation from clubs like Bayern and Real which I know tried to sign him. Even the start of his thread here had many with a "meh" perception.

His 2014 WC and 2015 treble with Barca played a large role in people seeing him as a legitimate ballon d'or contender.

It wasnt general fan perception and any fans who thought that were clearly wrong anyway. Was obvious how good a player he was from the beginning.

He was 5th in 2013 balon dor so that doesnt add up either.

Jair Ventura

I'm just talking about general fan perception, not evaluation from clubs like Bayern and Real which I know tried to sign him. Even the start of his thread here had many with a "meh" perception.

His 2014 WC and 2015 treble with Barca played a large role in people seeing him as a legitimate ballon d'or contender.

Do you reaalize what Neymar won with Santos as 19-20 year old? Because you sound entirely ignorant.

Jair Ventura

The EPL don't have a player with the appeal of Neymar, and whenever an individual player there have excelled, it has coincided with Real Madrid or Barcelona winning the CL :lol:

You’re making my argument for me. To win the award in the EPL, he’d have to do something extraordinary, same as is the case now.

Jair Ventura

yeah that trophy which is not even Copa del Rey tier. :lol: Santos got flattened 4-0 when they came up versus an actual top team.

Ah, I get it now. You’re one of the ones who doesn’t understand anything about football. Probably became a Barca supporter through playing fifa.

DonAK

You’re making my argument for me. To win the award in the EPL, he’d have to do something extraordinary, same as is the case now.

I'm not.

The EPL in value leagues above Ligue 1. If a team like Bayern won the CL with no noteworthy individuals and Messi and Neymar both only won league titles, Messi right now would probably get a lot more votes than Neymar simply because most of Football Europe don't care about the French League. Would be another case if he played in a proper league.

Ligue 1 is behind La Liga, EPL, Bundesliga and Serie A right now.

Jair Ventura

I'm not.

The EPL in value leagues above Ligue 1. If a team like Bayern won the CL with no noteworthy individuals and Messi and Neymar both only won league titles, Messi right now would probably get a lot more votes than Neymar simply because most of Football Europe don't care about the French League. Would be another case if he played in a proper league.

Ligue 1 is behind La Liga, EPL, Bundesliga and Serie A right now.

I didn’t ask for your opinion about Ligue 1 because it’s irrelevant. Fact is, whether he were playing in Spain, England, France or Mars he’d have to do something truly special to beat Messi to the award. All that other nonsense is just noise.

JamDav1982

Last EPL player that should have won it with no CL was Henry...will be unpopular but I think he was better than Ronaldinho when he won it.

DonAK

I didn’t ask for your opinion about Ligue 1 because it’s irrelevant. Fact is, whether he were playing in Spain, England, France or Mars he’d have to do something truly special to beat Messi to the award. All that other nonsense is just noise.

It's not irrelevant. A league title in England for any of Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool or heck even the Spurs is worth a lot more than a league title in France with PSG. You get a lot more exposure and votes winning in a legitimate league against tough competition as opposed to backyard football.

If you're competing for the Ballon D'Or purely on a league title with your peers, you'll have to play in a noteworthy league.

You didn't ask for my opinion about it, but that's simply because you're trying to ignore my legitimate argument about how low the Ligue 1 is ranked in prestige and how it does effect his chances of individual glory barring a CL or WC title.

JamDav1982

The fact that Ngolo Kante was voted in 8th for a team not even in the CL says how much draw certain leagues have.

Mbappe won the league/semis of CL and was probably the break out player of last year and finished one place ahead.

Jair Ventura

It's not irrelevant. A league title in England for any of Man City, Man Utd, Chelsea, Liverpool or heck even the Spurs is worth a lot more than a league title in France with PSG. You get a lot more exposure and votes winning in a legitimate league against tough competition as opposed to backyard football.

If you're competing for the Ballon D'Or purely on a league title with your peers, you'll have to play in a noteworthy league.

You didn't ask for my opinion about it, but that's simply because you're trying to ignore my legitimate argument about how low the Ligue 1 is ranked in prestige and how it does effect his chances of individual glory barring a CL or WC title.

This is all fantasy, unbacked by reality. No player has won the award that doesn’t play in Spain in over a decade. Therefore, you haven’t the slightest clue what a player would need to do to usurp the throne because you haven’t seen it.

Home of Barca Fans