Neymar Jr. - v5

Ekul

The disrespect on this forum... Neymar was once again outstanding, produced numerous moments of quality, almost got one of the best assists I've seen in years, Laudrup-esque pass. Constantly asking for the ball, taking it in tight areas and coming out on the other side, consequently starting attacks, creating chances. We'd be lost without him and there's nobody in the world who could play his role for us and do it so well.

Ekul

And what I love about him the most? His bravery. One of the bravest players in the world, and this is overlooked by so many of you.

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead
The disrespect on this forum... Neymar was once again outstanding, produced numerous moments of quality, almost got one of the best assists I've seen in years, Laudrup-esque pass. Constantly asking for the ball, taking it in tight areas and coming out on the other side, consequently starting attacks, creating chances. We'd be lost without him and there's nobody in the world who could play his role for us and do it so well.

He wasn't outstanding, he was hot and cold, had only 69% accurate passes, was giving simple passes straight to opposition defenders and the whole team was suffering because they had to use energy trying to win the ball back.

Barcaman

Administrator
Staff member
He's been poor in second half but few people said he did better in 1st so not a total failure I guess.

Still way off his last year's form and nowhere near justifying his hype and wages.

Ekul

He wasn't outstanding, he was hot and cold, had only 69% accurate passes, was giving simple passes straight to opposition defenders and the whole team was suffering because they had to use energy trying to win the ball back.

Hot and cold... If you want him to just keep the ball and nothing else, then you might as well sell him... He's a risky player, he tries things, and when he's producing 5 or 6 truly world class moments in a game I think occasionally losing the ball can be excused. One time he might lose the ball but the next time he'll create a goal by doing something that no one else would even think of trying. That's the player he is.

Ekul

He's been poor in second half but few people said he did better in 1st so not a total failure I guess.

Still way off his last year's form and nowhere near justifying his hype and wages.

He wasn't as good in the second half. But he was involved in both goals, and could've created another had Rakitic finished the rebound from his shot.

NorthernVictory

Hot and cold... If you want him to just keep the ball and nothing else, then you might as well sell him... He's a risky player, he tries things, and when he's producing 5 or 6 truly world class moments in a game I think occasionally losing the ball can be excused. One time he might lose the ball but the next time he'll create a goal by doing something that no one else would even think of trying. That's the player he is.

That insane pass to Suarez is a good example. If Luis had finished that we would all be singing Neymar's praises. Neymar even on a bad day can still unlock a game with a key pass, crazy dribble which opens space, or a finish by himself.

I will never compare Neymar to Messi (Messi is the fucking GOAT, you can't compare him to anyone), but I think Neymar is an extremely important player for us. I hope he can get back the crazy form he was in last spring (or was it fall?).

Ghostmaster

Danger Ahead

It wasn't occasionally, again only 69% passing accuraccy, the worst in the team, rewatch the game, few great moments and then one lost ball after another. Ok, I agree he wasn't the only one who was struggling in the team, Gomes, Busi, Rakitic also didn't have chemistry in midfield, but Neymar certainly wasn't outstanding.

snowy

:goodpost: That's exactly it. Ney often takes riskier attempts and unorthodox moves that leave the opposition flat-footed. He's creative in that way. The riskier it is, the greater the odds of missing but when it works, it's magic! That's why chastising him for low completed passes % is a bit unfair :thinking:

BBZ8800

Ok, let's agree that there are lots of different levels between:
Passing sideways all the time and trying a killer ball in every single action.

In simplest:
1) players who never risk
2) players who play a mix of risking and passing safe passes
3) players who risk all the time

For example, Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Ronaldinho, Etoo etc are all players who played a mixture of safe+risk passes.
The thing is: Xavi/Iniesta WON'T play a risky pass in every single opportunity, with an alibi: but no one else is trying risky passes so I had to do everything.

Someone already mentioned a few pages ago, this is how Messi plays (but I would add: Xavi, Iniesta also)
Ball 1: there is no space/options for a successful risky pass=they pass it sideways and wait for a better opportunity
Ball 2, 30 seconds later: still no options, pass it again
Ball 3, 30 seconds later: xx teammate is in a good position=they try a risky pass, and now you have a high chance for a success.
All you had to do was to use your brain and IQ (I am talking about players) and wait for a perfect moment.

So, these are smart players with good passing skills, who wait for a good moment and then they try a risky pass.

On the other hand, this is how Neymar's IQ and decision's making works:
Ball 1: I will try to dribble past 5 defenders or try a risky through ball for Suarez/Messi
-- he loses the ball
Ball 2, 60 seconds later: I will try the same thing again, no matter if the moment is perfect or not
-- he loses the ball
Ball 3, 60 seconds later: I will try the same thing again, no matter what
-- he makes a good pass this time
= then people jump and say: But he is so brave, no one else is brave enough to try things which he is doing.

Total: 3 minutes, 2 lost balls, 1 good pass.
Without him: we would keep the ball for 3 minutes and eventually create a clear chance since opponents will always eventually lose the concentration.

A guy has lately turned into an action-killer.
When the ball gets to Neymar, he will try something complicated and we will either get:
1) a lost ball
2) a perfect pass

But again, he is totally killing a buildup, possession game, waiting for a perfect moment to execute a pass, etc.

To some extent, people are saying that our midfield doesn't control matches anymore.
My estimation is: if you remove Neymar from a starting 11 and put, for example Arda:
= we will play a controlled football then

Arda will make less key through balls, but also, he will lose less balls for no reason, and thus our team will keep the possession, pass the ball around and eventually Messi, Rakitic, Iniesta, Arda or Suarez will make a key pass in a moment when there will be opportunity for a killer pass and that's it.

Neymar is creating some good things, but he is losing so many balls (16 against Monchengladbach) and imo, he is totally killing our flow lately.
I am looking forward to a match when Neymar won't play, just to see whether our starting 11 will have way more possession and control when he won't be on a field.

Last edited:

Chong Li

He and Suarez really reacted embarrassingly. I'm surprised Busquets didn't fall on the ground too though.

I guess you don't consider Messi's provocation childish as well.

Messi only reacted to the thrown bottle. And he was absolutely spot-on with his words directed at these asshole "fans".

Ney's provocation of the crowd was completely unnecessary, but somewhat understandable given the heated atmospere of the game.

BBZ8800

:goodpost: That's exactly it. Ney often takes riskier attempts and unorthodox moves that leave the opposition flat-footed. He's creative in that way. The riskier it is, the greater the odds of missing but when it works, it's magic! That's why chastising him for low completed passes % is a bit unfair :thinking:

He is also creating a chaotic Barca's football with that style of play.

There is no possession and patient football for us anymore when he is the leader.
Actions are extremely short and he gets the ball, it is either a moment of magic or a turnover after turnover, we are losing possession and our midfielders (and forwards) ahve to lose their energy on chasing the opponents just to get the possession back.
Then we get a possession, play 5-6 passes, ball gets to Neymar, then the same crap again.
Instead of slow down and relax, he will try to dribble 5 defenders or try a killer pass, and again, unless it is successful, we are losing a ball again, wasting energy on chasing the opponents over and over again.

A total opposite of Pep's smart possession football.
"Chaotic run and gun Barca's football".
You have the ball for 20 seconds, you don't have the ball for 20 seconds, you have the ball for 20 seconds, you don't have the ball for 20 seconds.

I AM NOT saying that we should play Tiki-Taka, that era is gone.
But still there are 100s of options between Tiki-Taka and current chaotic (give the ball to MSN and let them dribble past 5 defenders) Barca's football.

Our style in general turned to more direct under Lucho, which was ok.
But, we had way less control than under Pep.
Now, with a new Neymar's chaotic style, our Barca's style is even more direct than Lucho's Barca in 2014/15.
That is a problem.

Last edited:

ini4ever

[MENTION=16942]BBZ8800[/MENTION] Ney part aside, what you said about possession is meaningless, having a style of play doesn't depend on one player or two, Barca play more directly this season no matter who is on the pitch either the same line-up of last season which we were more of possession style rather than a balance one ( 14/15 season ) or different line-up.

snowy

There is no possession and patient football for us anymore when he is the leader.
Actions are extremely short and he gets the ball, it is either a moment of magic or a turnover after turnover, we are losing possession and our midfielders (and forwards) ahve to lose their energy on chasing the opponents just to get the possession back.
Then we get a possession, play 5-6 passes, ball gets to Neymar, then the same crap again.
Instead of slow down and relax, he will try to dribble 5 defenders or try a killer pass, and again, unless it is successful, we are losing a ball again, wasting energy on chasing the opponents over and over again.

You have the ball for 20 seconds, you don't have the ball for 20 seconds, you have the ball for 20 seconds, you don't have the ball for 20 seconds.

But still there are 100s of options between Tiki-Taka and current chaotic (give the ball to MSN and let them dribble past 5 defenders) Barca's football.

Now, with a new Neymar's chaotic style, our Barca's style is even more direct than Lucho's Barca in 2014/15.
That is a problem.

On the positive side, he also brings chaos to the opposite team. I think it really comes down to personal taste and affinities. I'm a fan of Pep as well. Dude's a visionary and he did try to sign him in Feb..

I get why he's controversial. Some love him, some can't stand him lol

with ney, you gotta take the bad with the good. Early in the Valencia match, he masterfully dribbled from midfield all the way to the penalty area, glided passed 3 opponents but lost the ball on his final touch. Had he passed the ball at 08.49 to Iniesta or better yet, Suarez and it would have been superlative but yeah it didn't happen. Thing is, when it does happen, it's a thing of beauty.

It's true he sometimes forces our mid-field to chase a ball he lost but let's not also forget how much he exhausts the opposition, and the numbers of interceptions/steals he makes as well. I just like the dude's vibe and joga bonito. His contribution in defense and movement off the ball are pretty impressive as well and are helpful to his teammates. Specially now, with all our injuries, we'll need him to be at his best if we want to remain contenders for any of the trophies. Guess what I'm saying is, controlled chaos might just be what we need.

He's almost in telepathy mode with Messi & Suarez. Every1 on the team seems to love him. It's not like they have a gun to their heads forcing them to do so. If he was so bad, they'd just give him the boot all da way to da moon or sway him towards the PSG transfer. The dude's not perfect but he is pretty good and imo super entertaining to watch.

He's kinda like a box of chock-late, you never know whatch'u gonna ge'et. :cheers:

Last edited:

te amo barca

Blaugrana al vent

That is a problem.

Neymar keeps playing this way, maybe Lucho encourages him? Also, lol at this:
Without him: we would keep the ball for 3 minutes and eventually create a clear chance since opponents will always eventually lose the concentration.

And what makes you believe that we really will create a clear cut chance? Did you forget the second half of Tata's season, when we used to pass the ball sideways all the time and have huge spells of useless possession, until Alves crosses the ball to nobody? With your set-up, we will end up trying to break buses the whole game like we struggled so much with Pep, Tata and Tito. At least Lucho's deep line and counter-attacks (which heavily depend on Neymar) solved this problem.

Home of Barca Fans