Neymar Jr. - v5

Devils

You go back to 2012 and the biggest talents in the world were Neymar, Gotze and Hazard.

All 3 will be 30+ by the next world cup.

none lived up to the hype. Damn.

Luftstalag14

Culé de Celestial Empire
[tw]1018556771646885888[/tw]

It is really not fair though to use the WC title to compare the two. Messi didn't have that chance at 19. Neither did Ronaldo and a lot of other great and legendary players of the past.

Mbappe had a good WC (I wouldn't say great, his best game was the one against Argentina and the rest was pretty meh) and France had its share of luck so he got it.

Wallace

[tw]1019791793376907264[/tw]

This guy is a complete idiot.

Neymar was a really good player, today is not anymore. It's difficult to accept a player with immense potential having fallen that way, but it's the reality. I am Brazilian and I have already defended him a lot here (especially in the troubled transfer to PSG), but now I would like to see him retired from the national team in this new cycle. Let him stay at the PSG earning his money and leaves those who really want to play football.

KingMessi

SiempreBlaugrana
You're overreacting.

Sure he's stagnated, maybe even regressed as a TEAM player. But he's obviously still a very good player.

xXKonan

He's 26 years old and one of the best in the world in form. But it seems he never grew up on a personal level.

I feel a lot of it has to do with his entourage. At Barca he had his issues but he was never the center of the team like Messi was and some of the Vets and for good reasons as well. But his entourage kept feeding him and encouraging shit that made it hard for him to grow up on a personal level.

Neymar's popularity is a blessing and curse, His entourage is to busy making him out as a king while finding ways to profit off his talent. His parents are suppose to be that influence growing up, the two are suppose to teach you what is right and what is wrong. I don't know much about his mom but his dad? we all know what his dad is.

His dad is obsessed with finding ways to make money using his Son and his incredible talents. He will turn a blind eye to what immature acts he does if it means he can make money. What Neymar should have done ages ago is reign in his dad and the rest of his entourage but instead he lets them do what they want.

Laplacian

Stagnated my ass. He is way better now individually than he was two years ago. His dribbling, playmaking, and finishing has been top class in ligue 1 and in the champions league. You might not like him for various reasons, but don't make up shit about his quality as a player to validate that hate. it's ridiculous. He is still by far the best winger in the world and no one else comes close to him.

Neymessi

Stagnated my ass. He is way better now individually than he was two years ago. His dribbling, playmaking, and finishing has been top class in ligue 1 and in the champions league. You might not like him for various reasons, but don't make up shit about his quality as a player to validate that hate. it's ridiculous. He is still by far the best winger in the world and no one else comes close to him.

Geniusses here would tell you that ney of 2015 was the best ney till date and their reasoning goes that he had the best goal stats that season and we won the treble. But back then he played more like a finished and hardly as a playmaker. Just finished off chances messi made for him in a nutshell back then. Fast forward to now he is a much much better player who knows a lot of stuff apart from finishing. He can playmake and is arguably second best at it after messi.

My signature will keep reminding people how myopic football fans are who can't look past the results and this case is a good example.

Vilarrubi

Geniusses here would tell you that ney of 2015 was the best ney till date and their reasoning goes that he had the best goal stats that season and we won the treble. But back then he played more like a finished and hardly as a playmaker. Just finished off chances messi made for him in a nutshell back then. Fast forward to now he is a much much better player who knows a lot of stuff apart from finishing. He can playmake and is arguably second best at it after messi.

My signature will keep reminding people how myopic football fans are who can't look past the results and this case is a good example.

I’m not a Neymar hater in any way at all or bitter about him leaving etc but 2014/15 was his best season.. he scored in every round of the CL Quarters, Semis and Final against PSG, Bayern and Juve. I think his dribbling has improved some of the runs he goes on now are unbelievable. But apart from that he’s been on a similar level for the past few seasons although now he should look good in an easier League.

DonAndres

Wild Man of Borneo
I think he was better in 16/17 and even moreso in that spell in 15/16 where he was playing incredibly. Those 2 months in 15/16 he was at an amazing level in scoring, dribbling, and playmaking. 16/17 was mostly dribbling and playmaking, horrible finishing. Nowadays he is so wasteful with the ball and loiters around in midfield with pointless dribbles all the time. I am adamant that he has regressed.

That was a complaint about him at Barca but he's taken it to a whole new level since going to PSG. In this WC the amount of turnovers he had put so many other players to shame, statistically the SINGLE worst player at retaining possession on the ball in the entire tournament. Wasteful passes, wasteful dribbles, drawing fouls when it's completely unnecessary and disrupting the offensive rhythm of the team.

He was genuinely a burden on Brazil at times and aside from 2-3 nice actions he was one of the worst players in their loss against Belgium too and constantly fucked up in the final third for them. He also lead the Champions League 17/18 in turnovers per game as well.

He plays in a way that isn't conducive to success, mainly playing for himself and his stats/highlight reel. The ball HAS to go through him, he'll even drop next to the CB's to force that to happen and start dribbling in useless zones.

He is certainly not the 2nd best playmaker in the world after Messi, not even close. I would rather have De Bruyne, Coutinho, Modric, or even James delivering the final ball than Neymar, perhaps even more players. Efficiency in your playmaking matters and Neymar is atrocious in that regard. All you guys see is the occasional successful through ball that looks like a signature Messi pass and think it's the same, but it takes him like 3-4x the attempts to get one right and fucks up way more than is worth it, which those other playmakers don't make a habit of. And if he can't stop dribbling in such a counterproductive way then he isn't a top 2-3 dribbler anymore either. Hazard looks more efficient and Mbappe more deadly-to the point.

Last edited:

DonAK

President of FC Barcelona
Neymar's stats have gotten better, but he's become a more ineffective player with too many dumb actions where he slows up the play where nothing happens. This is something that you see a lot from him in key games, major games. With PSG and with Brazil in the WC.

He's become faster, his dribbling have gotten better and his playmaking skills improved at Barca, but he's not using his ability or talent in a way where he can dominate and have a major impact when it's needed the most.

Neymar has become the monster people feared he would become. A guy who got his manager sacked in Santos because he questioned his dumb style of play where he want to stand still for 10 seconds and then do a dumb move instead of playing direct and try to score or create a chance.

At Barca he always had a player better than him and senior players who held him accountable, so he didn't show this tendency of being his own enemy, but at PSG he's free to do whatever the fuck he wants and that's the worst thing you can do with Neymar.

As you say yourself: Results can be misleading, look deeper

Last edited:

Home of Barca Fans